Search

Mexico: Where to go Cancun or PV?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26th, 2005, 09:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mexico: Where to go Cancun or PV?

Hi,
We were thinking of going to Mexico for a week just before the christmas break. We have two small kids who love the beach! We would like to do some snorkeling too and might be see a bit of Mexico itself. Which place would you recommend Cancun or some other place near there or the PV area on the Pacific coast. Any hotel recommendations? I guess we are looking for something under $200 per night, if that is possible. Thanks a lot!
Old Sep 26th, 2005, 10:26 AM

If you're thinking beach, I don't think you can beat Cancun! It's also a great base from which to sight see -- Mayan ruins, Isla Mujeres, Playa del carmen, etc....
The Hilton gets great reviews and has great pools, and you should be able to get that under $200..., as well as the Marriott Casa Magna. If you're looking for a beach with very calm waters, the Fiesta Americana Grand Coral Beach looks good, although it's in a less scenic spot.
(by the way, this question seems to be asked weekly on this board -- do a search, and you'll find lots of opinions!)
Old Sep 26th, 2005, 11:01 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I love Puerto Vallarta dearly, for the people and the town... but for smooth blue waters and white sand beach Cancun would be a better choice.
Old Sep 26th, 2005, 12:08 PM

Hi ciny,
It has been many years since I have been to PV (does that tell you anything about how much we liked it?) So it may be very different now. I have to agree with frankie--Cancun has beautiful water and beaches for the most part. Still you need to research where to stay for the best beaches. There are many things to do in the area and we have done a little--Chichen one time but that will take all day. (We spent the night). Christmas may be more difficult with your price since they get top dollar then but check it out and I'm sure you can come up with something. You might try also going south from Cancun to Playa or Tulum.
Happy travels!
Old Sep 26th, 2005, 12:20 PM

Hi,

Have you considered the Riviera Maya or Cozumel? They have beautiful beaches, wonderful snorkeling, but aren't the big city of Cancun. Both locations have wonderful resorts.

But, in Cancun, I recommend the Ritz-Carlton Cancun or the Fiesta Americana Grand Coral Beach.

You should be able to get some reasonable rates for Mexico in early December until Christmas and New Year's weeks.

Best Regards,
Julia
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 06:20 AM

Hi I would agree with all of the above replies if it is beach you want then Cancun or Riviera Maya is the palce for you and your kids, I have been to both the Marriott and Fiesta Americana Grand Coral Beach in Cancun and must say they were both lovely, of course my favorite place is P.Vallarta as with Suze in the above replies seems we share the same love of the town, I have been going there for many years and love the culture and the people. The people in P.V. are more friendly than in Cancun but it all depends what you are looking for I do love the beach in Cancun but it definitely doesn't have the charm P.V. has, It is a difficult descision to make but check them both out. There is a Marriott in P.V. which is wonderful and they have a childrens pool and activities too. Any more info please don't hesitate to ask.
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 10:01 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much to all of you for your comments. It helps us a lot.
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 03:28 PM

Hi Ciny: If you are going to Mexico prior to 12/24 you may be able to rent a Condo in the BEST of puerto Vallarta (Los Muertos Beach). IT is definitely the best children's vacation spot. You can do everything with your children. In Cancun the Fiesta Americana Grand Coral beach is on a par with the Venitian in Las Vegas, it is very very nice and the pool area is fabulous. But Puerto Vallarta is a wonderful town. Where from the Old Town area (southern part)you can walk to everything (restaurants, shops, tile factory, flea market). You can take the children to the Malecon. They often have children's activities in the open air theatre there on the Malecon. On the bridge of the River Cuale you will see people pointing. There are two big Iguana's that live in the trees there. They are always there. Vallarta Adventures have family tours. Puerto Vallarta is definitely more family oriented because if you stay in Old Town, everything is close. Stay in a Condo and relax and enjoy the wonderful sunsets. Condo's have private pools as well as beach access. The children would enjoy the tours of whale watching or snorkeling at Las Caletas. I think PV will be easier on your budget. The closer to Christmas, the harder it is to get a Condo at this date.