MEXICO - Where to go?!?

Old Sep 26th, 1997, 01:07 PM
Rebecca Howlett

MEXICO - Where to go?!?

I am planning a trip to Mexico with about 6 friends in February. We enjoyed Mazatlan and Cabo San Lucas, but would like to try somewhere new. Any suggestions on locations and where to stay?!?

Old Sep 27th, 1997, 11:48 AM
Linda Marston-Reid

My favorites are to fly into Mexico City, then take a express bus to Oaxaca. The city is big enough that there are good accomodations in all prices, and yet the city is exciting to visit (not over touristy). There is a Fabulous market on saturdays, Monte Alban site to explore, many small villages surrounding Oaxaca to take a bus to, but best of all, the people are friendly, food is good, and there are many opportunities to relax. If you prefer to get a little more off the beaten track, try Patzquaro, in the state of Michoacan. Again, you can take an express bus from Mexico City, and arrive in Patzquaro in about 5 hours. This little village is wonderful; near a fishing lake, it is quiet and a good place to go shopping for local crafts. There are many artesanias who bring their wares into the central plaza to sell, especially during Dia de los Muertos. (Oct 30-Nov 1). I met many Europeans there during my two visits.
Cheers and happy visiting.
Linda

Old Sep 30th, 1997, 04:32 PM
jennifer nacif

rebecca i agree with linda you can spend several days in the city and you can get great rates during the weekends oaxaca is also one of my favorite places you need about 4 days and i also recomend huatulco it is a beach in oaxaca ferly new clean and beautifull. good luck

Old Oct 24th, 1997, 12:42 PM
Jaime Gringo

a bit prejudiced, but check us out at www.casacondesa.com.

Old Oct 24th, 1997, 02:08 PM
Dick Grill

Rebecca:

I second the advice about both Oaxaca. Am going to Oaxaca for Xmas this year as I have heard wonderful things about it. Non-stop festivals and good vibes in the Zocolo. Don't know about climate in the Winter, as we usually do Mexico in the Summer. Our rule is "always stay above 5,000 feet!" The beaches in the Summer are intolerable, but the mountain towns have wonderful weather. One exception was Patzquaro one August. It's 10,000 feet up and we damned near froze. Room had a fireplace and wood, but no kindling. We had to burn our paperback books to get the fire started.

Old Oct 25th, 1997, 08:24 PM
Dixie

I've been traveling Mexico for 20+ yrs. and I think if you are interested in culture and history you need to travel inland as apposed to the tourist spots on the coast.I would highly recommend the state of Michocan and the state of Puebla. Oaxaca is also wonderful , we were just there in March and stayed in a great B&B for around $ 30.00 for two, including breakfast that's prepared with organic vegetables and fruits, so very healthy and safe. If your interested let me know I have their infor.

Old Oct 29th, 1997, 07:58 PM
a. lukosky

Fly to Mex, city. Fly to Oaxaco and enjoy life as it was meant to be enjoyed! Spend Friday and Saturday nights on the zocalo and Sunday at Monte Alban! Oxacco will thrill and delight you for there is no other city in the world with the ambiance and life pulse as Oaxaco! Enjoy it, savor it, and most of all, know that Oaxaco gives you the "time to live." Buena Suerte!

Old Nov 11th, 1997, 09:33 AM
John Carter

Yes, please, your B&B in Oaxaca? We're going in Feb, '98 and haven't been to Oaxaca in 25 years. Do we need reservations in Feb.?

Old Nov 12th, 1997, 05:45 AM
geri

I'm leaving for Oaxaca next week. Staying at La Que Sabe B & B. Will let you know how it is. It's funny that everyone seems to be recommending Oaxaca.

I understand that Hualtuco and Oaxaca beaches got hit by another hurricane. Pauline devastated them last month. The beaches of Oaxaca should be avoided right now.

geri

Old Nov 13th, 1997, 03:19 PM
Bobby Bolinger

MESSAGE: Try Guadalajara! We found many exciting place to see there. glass blowing in TOO LOCK EE POCK E. thats not how it is spell but how it is said. also go to Tequila and see distillary. there are plenty of thins to see in town also.

Old Nov 13th, 1997, 03:30 PM
Dick

Re: B&B in Oaxaca. Try Las Bugambilias. Look at their web site: http://www.mexonline.com/oaxaca/bugambi2.htm
We have reservations for the Xmas season. Have not stayed there yet, but they seem friendly and efficient. Price seems right, too.

Dick

Old Nov 22nd, 1997, 06:13 PM
Grahame Keast

Thanks for help with where to go in Mexico. Now, where to in Guatemala? I'm going there in April next year. Suggestions welcomed.
Grahame

Old Nov 30th, 1997, 09:35 AM
kathy

I would appreciate any good places to stay in Oaxoca and Puebla. B&B or hotels. Also things to do in Puebla. Thanks

Old Dec 2nd, 1997, 07:04 PM
Scott Lucas

Does anyone have any coastal vacation/honeymoon spots in Mexico to recommend that are not too touristy, yet have nice beaches?

Old Dec 4th, 1997, 06:51 AM
kathy

[email protected], tried to e-mail you for name of place you stayed - didn't work. If you read this please post or e-mail me with info. Thanks. For a GREAT place to visit try Cabo San Lucas. Contact me for good places to stay.

Old Dec 4th, 1997, 06:52 AM
kathy

[email protected], tried to e-mail you for name of B&B you stayed in - didn't work. If you read this please post or e-mail me with info. Thanks. For a GREAT place to visit try Cabo San Lucas. Contact me for good places to stay.

Old Dec 12th, 1997, 07:54 AM
jaime gringo

From someone who is living thru his third Xmas here, I think it's more important than ever to book or make reservations in advance for the MAGIC many find in Acapulco. Of course, always happy to help fellow cybernauts.

Old Dec 18th, 1997, 07:53 PM
Jill

Zihuatenejo next door to Ixtapa!

Old Dec 19th, 1997, 06:03 PM
Everett

We'll be in Guadalajara staying at the Fiesta Americana for aweek in jan. Any ideas regarding restaurants, sights etc as well al rip offs would be apreciated. Thanks --Everett