Notices

Christmas in Mexico

Old Dec 10th, 1997, 08:37 AM
Elizabeth Perry

Christmas in Mexico

I'm considering spending next Christmas somewhere in Mexico. While I want to lie on the beach and swim with dolphins like all the other American tourists, I also want to celebrate the religious significance of the holiday (i.e. Christmas Mass, religious processions and festivals, etc.). How does Mexico celebrate Christmas and where is an inexpensive place to go?

Old Dec 10th, 1997, 02:49 PM
Edmund

Dear Elizabeth,

If you go to Mexico at Christmas, it will cost you
more. They celebrate it as much as we do. I have
always heard it is important to book a hotel well in
advance because even the locals travel at this time.
You will have no problem in finding a church to
celebrate this religious as most Mexicans are
Catholics. Hope this helps. Edmund

Old Dec 10th, 1997, 04:00 PM
Dick

Elisabeth,

My wife and I will be spending the week before Xmas in Oaxaca this year. We have friends who do this every year and say it is a wonderful experience. All sorts of religious festivals and parades. Very traditional. Lots of cultural stuff in the area. In the mountains, not by the beaches, but still 75 - 80 in the daytime. Try looking up Mexican festivals on the Net and you will see lots from Oaxaca. We're staying at a B&B for $40/night for a double. Their web site sold us. Try Las Bugambilias in a search engine. You may have to reserve long in advance, but you can do it by e-mail.

Dick

Old Dec 17th, 1997, 03:00 AM
Cliff Jensen

Several years ago we spent two Christmas' in Cozumel and really enjoyed it very much. We did not go to church ourselves, but enjoyed watching the mass from ourside the small churches. Obviously they are in Spanish.
It was really great to see all of the small childen dressed up on Christmas Eve. Everyone seems to congregate in the village square.
Christmas was not at all "commercial" like in the States, but that was 5 or 6 years ago. Hope it hasn't been spoiled. By the way, we have been spending our Christmas during recent years in Anguilla.

Old Dec 25th, 1997, 07:31 AM
JIM RINGER

Hope you had a good time in Oaxaca! We are going the first week in February. Please let me know how the weather has been and if you had a good time. We are looking forward to visiting this special place! Thanks ... Jim