Mexico or Jamaica ?

Old Nov 20th, 1999, 01:19 PM
Shane & Debbie

Mexico or Jamaica ?

For our 20th wedding anniv. , we want to
take a trip. we are thinking of Cancun,
Acapulco, PV, or Ocho Rios Jamaica.
This will be our 1st time south of the U.S.
We are thinking of the all-inclusive type
resorts. We want beautiful beaches, moderate activities, maybe some boating.
We want to feel safe and be treated well.
Give us your ideas on a great place to go,
for a 4 or 5 star resort.

Old Nov 22nd, 1999, 11:03 AM
elena garza

Felicidades *** Congratulations
Shane and Debbie,
I have not been to Jamaica personally, but since the choices for your holiday in Mexico are all well known to me, I would definitely choose Puerto Vallarta.
Cancun is too cold in personality, Acapulco, worn out its personality, and Vallarta with never ending personality and charm. I think you would love it. If you would like more info, write and I will be happy to help.
Gracias, Elena

Old Nov 22nd, 1999, 12:34 PM
Brenda

I would definitely advise against going to Jamaica. I have been several times on business. My experiences have been terrible. I was actually searched for drugs and detained on the island. I am certain it was because I am attractive blond woman. Trust me, I do not look the least bit suspicious. Other trips I was hooted and hollered at by obnoxious locals. Everyone tries to sell you drugs and junk. Poverty is rampant. I will never return. Only been to Cancun and Cozumel in Mexico. They are OK. Why not try St Lucia or Antigua. Sandals resorts on both are excellent. Look for packages through tour operators. Good Luck!

Old Nov 22nd, 1999, 01:22 PM
Leah

Hello Shane & Debbie,
I would suggest that you look into Cozumel. It would meet all of your criteria. We have twice stayed at the Allegro (formerly called the Diamond) Resort on Cozumel. It is an all inclusive which we enjoyed very much. Very nice accommodations, a fantastic beach and an accommodating staff. You might want to check it out. Let me know if you have anymore questions. Leah

Old Nov 23rd, 1999, 10:23 PM
Mike

Cancun would be the only choice. There isn't any poverty there and the beaches are quite beautiful. (There IS much poverty in St. Lucia and Antigua!!)

Old Nov 24th, 1999, 08:03 AM
Liz

Mexican Riveria. I have been to Jamaica, Runaway Bay, it was nice but doesn't compare to Mexico. The hotels in Mexico were nicer & there is so much to do there.

Old Nov 24th, 1999, 09:34 AM
debbie

I usually don't get opinionated (alright stop laughing everyone!) about places to travel to because I believe each and every place has something special about that someone is going to like about that place........
BUT BETWEEN MEXICO AND JAMAICA, HANDS DOWN I'M GOING TO SAY MEXICO.

As already suggested though - do try Cozumel or the Mayan Riveria (the RIU hotels, or the Iberostar, etc, etc). The people in Mexico are just so darned nice and they go to great lengths to please you that you will ever wonder why you even wanted to go to Jamaica!

Go, run and book your vacation to Mexico. On my convincing arguments a woman in my office just came back from a week at the RIU Palace on the Mayan Riveria and loved, loved, loved, loved, loved, loved, loved, loved it as much as we did! It's a 5 star resort (and if you want to spend a few hundred bucks less, just book into the RIU Yucatan, it's sister hotel next door and it's just as wonderful. With side trips to Akumal or to Xcaret or over to Cozumel and/or just hanging around the resort, you will get your:
- all inclusive with an excellent array of food and drink
- beautiful beaches
- moderate activities
- some boating
- you will feel safe, and
- you will be treated very, very well.

Old Nov 24th, 1999, 09:45 AM
debbie

Me again - feel free to email me direct if you have any questions about this area. I've been corresponding with a woman from Sask, Canada who is booked into the RIU Palace for the first two weeks of Feb with her family. I've been filling her in on the area and all there is to see and do based on our experience from staying at the RIU Yucatan last Feb and I'd be happy to just forward all the emails to you describing the place.