Mexico for "real" grown-ups??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7th, 2008, 05:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning a group vacation for September 2008, and I am at a loss at to where to look!

We're a groups of marrieds and singles, late 20's to early 40's. We all enjoy a glass of wine, but we're not big drinkers or partiers, and we're not interested in spending a week in a party town.

Our only real requirement is a nice beach, other than that we're open. Any thoughts on places to go in Mexico for non-partying adults?
Old Mar 8th, 2008, 09:51 AM

I think Akumal or Tulum might fit your bill. You could rent condos or a large house (sometimes with cook staff) in Akumal and enjoy the beach.
Old Mar 8th, 2008, 12:04 PM

Isla Mujeres has a beautiful beach.

I would suggest telling us what you ARE interested in other than a nice beach. Modern? Laid back? Surrounded by nature? High rise hotels? Wooden cabanas? Would you like some Mexican culture or is that not important?

Mexico has a lot of nice beaches. Give us more to go on
Old Mar 9th, 2008, 09:03 AM
Original Poster

I have asked my group for clarification, and we definitely want to be close to things to do. Some are shoppers, some are into snorkeling and kayaking and such, and some of us just want to sit in the sun and forget that we ever have to go back to work.

I personally would like a little culture. Not necessarily true immersion, but also not someplace when I felt like I paid all that money to still be in the states.

Maybe that's a little clearer... it's hard to speak for a lot of people!
Old Mar 9th, 2008, 09:10 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Puerto Vallarta, but stay out near Bucerias

La Paz on the Baja

You might want to note that September is the wettest/rainiest month of the year in the pacific west coast beach cities!

Old Mar 9th, 2008, 09:56 AM

Isla Mujeres sounds like a good fit. Good snorkeling. For some reason, Puebla's tavalera ceramics is for sale all over the place, and it's gorgeous, in my opinion. Plus lots of hippie jewelry. Several good restaurants with outdoor seating. And it has escaped the corporate high rise glitz of Cancun, so one can catch glimpses of the real Mexico. If you are interested, I recommend the Hotel Maria del Mar. There's fancier if your budget is up to it. And there's no more beautiful beach in the world.
Old Mar 9th, 2008, 12:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Look into the Royal Playa del Carmen. It's an adults only all inclusive right in Playa. I five minute walk and you're on 5th Ave. with all the shopping and bars, etc. The resort has greqt aservice, good food, and a very good beach. Great pool areas too.
Old Mar 9th, 2008, 02:14 PM

Playa del Carmen, or resorts in the vicinity -- some of which offer free daily shuttles into PDC, would fit your requirements. I just returned from 12 nights in the area and, having been to Cancun 3 times previously, found that PDC feels more like Mexico than Cancun notwithstanding the Starbucks and Burger King, etc. However, away from the hotel zone, Cancun takes on quite a Mexican feel as well. Cancun has better beaches and the water is cleaner (no rocks or seaweed) and is the most amazing shade of turquoise, although many beaches in Cancun that suffered erosion recently have yet to be rebuilt. The water is rougher in Cancun whereas, to the south and near PDC (which has a decent but crowded beach in town, by the way), it is calm or at least calmer. Snorkeling trips to either Cozumel or Akumal are easy to do from PDC. As for the party town aspect, I am not a partier and never saw that side of Cancun or PDC since I did not seek it out. I found the atmosphere in both to be much the same as at any other beach location that has a mix of nationalities and ages. Also, many tourists are families with young children. There are many good restaurants in both towns. If you want local culture, there are lots of tours and day trips from both PDC and Cancun that will achieve that (including one that goes to a Mayan village), but in PDC you won't feel like you're in the US. Sorry, but I didn't care for Isla Mujeres which simply wasn't very attractive or appealing. Loved Playa del Carmen and Cancun. The Royal is one of the top two hotels in PDC ($$$$). If your budget is lower, I walked through the grounds of the Shangri La and thought it was one of the cutest place I've ever seen; plus it is beach front in PDC and a short walk to Fifth
Avenue (the shops/restaurants).
Old Mar 10th, 2008, 06:50 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Mazatlan or Acapulco also fit the 2nd post w/ added requirements of shopping, things to do, a little culture...
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 02:38 PM

i "second" the idea of Isla Mujeres... check out this small luxury boutique resort "Villa Rolandi" - very laid back-not a party place! and the service and food is AWESOME - you start your vacation by being picked up by the resort's private yatch in Cancun and then taken away to the resort's pier on Isla Mujeres (20 min boat ride) the water is so clear you can see straight to the bottom! then you are greeted with mimosas and cold towels. All room are suites-and overlook the water. Breakfast and a gourmet dinner are included in your room rate (breakfast is delivered to your room-eat on your balcony or patio or in bed!) The suites are luxurious and have wonderful beds and linens (the best bed in Mexico in my opinion! no hard beds here!!!) They have a sailboat and kayaks if you want to take them out - and the beach is clean and quiet and has great DRINK service!(no getting up at 6:00am to get a chair on the beach!)If you feel like leaving the resort, the island is quaint - easy to get around, great fresh seafood and great beach bars! check out actual guest photos on www.tripadvisor.com (seach Villa Rolandi) - the place gets rave reviews! I went last fall and have another trip planned for May! cant wait to go back! www.villarolandi.com is their website