Mexico ATM general question.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14th, 2006, 04:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, so I check with my bank today and they said there's a $1.75 transaction fee for foreign ATM withdrawls.

My question: Is there going to be another fee FROM the foreign ATM I use also? For example, here, unless you're in a partner network, there's a transaction fee from the bank of the ATM. Same in Mexico? If so, how much?

Also: What is usually the withdrawl limit for Mexico ATMs?
Old Dec 15th, 2006, 05:52 AM

Hi - everytime I used an ATM in Mexico a message came up telling me there was a charge for the service and asking me to press Button A. I read it with care the first time and decided it was no big deal. It could have been 0.75 pesos, or 7.50 pesos. But what's 70 cents US once every few days when you've spent so much to get there?

Even though the charges applied by one's home bank are seriously annoying - and $1.75 (I assume USD) is cheap compared to European or Australian banks - using ATMs is still cheaper than commission for buying/selling TCs or cash - don't you think so? And peanuts too given all the other costs while you are there.

That's what I tell myself anyway!

I do recollect a limit at Guatemalan ATMS - 1000 quetzals - but not in Mexico. Maybe there is one. But it's certainly possible to withdraw 5000 pesos and that's quite enough for me to be carrying around in cash.

Happy travels.

Old Dec 15th, 2006, 06:41 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Depends, but the ones I use in PV (the 2 most convenient, I didn't check if they were partners)... the only fee I get is the one from my home bank.
Old Dec 15th, 2006, 07:36 AM

I use my no fee USAA ATM at Banorte locally 'cuz it's a swipe and they don't charge a fee for a "foreign" ATM so I get near interbank exchange rates.
Some machines will state a maximum, but I always ask for USAA's max (they actually let me exceed that too).
Do remember to call your ATM and CC "Bank(s)" to let them know you'll have activity in Mexico.
M
Old Dec 15th, 2006, 11:50 AM
Original Poster

Great, thanks for the replies!

Actually, I checked again with my bank because I was pretty sure I had a no-fee checking account and they confirmed that. And they also confirmed a $500 daily limit which will DEFINITELY cover my withdrawl needs. So basically, I'm looking forward to finding no-fee Mexican ATMs and only paying close to the interbank rate-- yippeeee!

Crossing my fingers for no problems!

... 3 weeks ...
Old Dec 15th, 2006, 12:49 PM

Por nada.
Buen viaje.
M (SMdA, Gto.)
Old Dec 15th, 2006, 03:08 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Don't forget the amount you request at the ATM machine is in peso! (i.e., if you want ~$300USD worth, you need to say 3000).