ATM FEES

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20th, 2007, 09:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ATM FEES

I will be going to BA next week and am trying to determine if I should bring Cash with me to exchange over there or simply use the ATM.

My brother is currently in BA and just received a shock on his bank statement when he found out the ATM he was using was charging him $5.00 to use it. When he called the bank they told him it was a charge from the ATM vendor not his bank. The charge was not listed anywhere on the ATM.

I have no problem bring cash, but I hate to carry that much on me.

If I do chose to use the ATM can someone tell me which ATMS/Banks in BA have the lowest ATM fees. I already know how much my bank will charge me for the exchange.

Thanks
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 10:29 AM

I have used ATMs in Bs As - both the LINK and Banelco systems and have found that any fees are not from the Bs As banks but from my home bank. In my case it was $3.00 (soon to go up to $5.00) And over and above that, my bank and many others has started to apply a conversion fee - 2.5% over the bank rate.

Given my experiences, I find it strange that your brother's bank said the fees were not from their end. But all banks are different....

All banks are different. There is an interesting thread going on right now in the Europe Forum with lots of info about various banks. Much of this will apply to Argentina as well.
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34962193
There has been much written lately about the decrease in daily limits on the Banelco machines in Bs AS. Search the forum using the terms <b>Banelco, LINK and ATM </b> and you will get much info.

Notwithstanding the fees, you still get a decent rate using ATMs especially if don't make too many withdrawals. I would recommend that for safety and security and convenience, you bring some USD but also use the ATMs.
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 07:47 PM

The info about the $5 fee appears on the machine once you enter your code &amp; begin, there is a paragraph disclosing the fee and asking you if you still want to continue. FYI, I just back from Mexico, and found most ATM's there accepted only Visa ATM cards. Also in Mexico, if you did have to go into the bank, sometimes they only had 1-2 windows for people who did not have accounts there, and the line in smaller towns could be quite long, and slow.
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 08:00 PM

ninasdream,

I have seen ATMs like that in some places - even here in Canada I think they are often &quot;private&quot; ones as opposed to ones associated with specific banks. However, I was in Bs As in Nov/december 2006 and none of the machines I used gave me the message or seemed to charge any more than the amount my home bank added. For Bs AS - my recommendation is to stick to the LINK machines - which are not as plentiful as the Banelcos. For staters the banco de la Nacion Argentina is a LINK. I have a PLUS card. My friend who has travelled to Argentina with me several times has a Cirrus and both worked in all the machines we tried.

raquel
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 12:15 AM

I live in central Mexico (no fee ATM here)and travel a bit: the only time(s) I have been charged an ATM fee is at the Wachovia ATM units in the ATL airport ($1.50).
Fortunately, my bank rebates 15 out of network ATM fees a month, so a nonissue.
I got $1800 AR pesos at near interbank rate at the ATM at EZE just beyond customs late last October.
Similar experience in Santiago.
M