Search

Mexico at Christmas

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13th, 2006, 07:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mexico at Christmas

Looking for a WARM Christmas with 3 Teen Girls (16-19) and 87 year old mom. Would like to mix up opportunities to both explore and lounge by the pool (where teens will most likely want to be).
Could be all inclusive but not necessary.

Old Jun 13th, 2006, 07:37 AM

We're a family of 4 (with 2 teens), and are also going during the Christmas break. After pricing all-inclusives, we decided to go with a condo in Playa Del Carmen. We went with the location because the beaches are great, and playa del carmen is a good sized town with lots of restaurants. PDC is also near several ruins and other sights.

We rented a 3 bedroom/2 bath Xaman Ha condo. Bottle water is provided, also towels and maid service. It is on the beach, has a pool and is a very short walk into town.

We have done all-cinlusive when my kids were younger, and it was a very easy relaxing vacaton, but now that they are older, we decided to try a non-AI so we had more flexibility with dining. We never were much into the organized activities at the AI.
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 09:29 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Puerto Vallarta is lovely at Christmas-time and fits what you are seeking with a mix of activity opportunities, relaxation, and the bonus of friendly locals, shopping, galleries, and many good restaurants.
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 09:52 AM

I stooped going at Xmas in "97/'98. Just too too crowded for this grumpy old man. It is exciting but be prepared for very crowded beaches, streets & cafés. I spent a lot of that week at my small hotels pool rather than Playa de Los Muertos with it's hordes (& I mean Hordes) of tourists. Plus the airports are incredibly crowded.
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 10:30 AM

Unfortunately Stewbear, some of us have no choice. That's the only 1 week during the year that my kids (who go to different schools) have off together.
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 05:48 PM

Crowds and tourists for the young at heart are exhilerating. I love PV at Christmas. There is sooooo much going on especially up by the church off the Malecon. Parades are charming. There is always some entertainment (free) in the open air theatre on the malecon and musicians about in the middle of the Malecon. Malecon is Centro PV. There are so many fabulous restaurants in Puerto Vallarta (Centro and Old Town specifically) that it would be a shame to go AI. Christmas books up fast for the best Condo's and probably the hotels, start your inquiries now. Good luck and enjoy.
Old Jun 24th, 2006, 03:34 AM

Come on Stewbear,
Don't hibernate as we need your input.
The Costalegre is super in December.
We'll be at El Careyes.
Last year at CocoCabanas in Barra de Navidad.
M (SMdA, Gto.)
Old Jun 24th, 2006, 05:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We were at the Iberostar Paraiso Del Mar in the Riviera Maya last Christmas. We had a fantastic time. Yes, the resort was full, but it is so big, that it never felt crowded. Plenty of activities to keep people busy, or be like we were and just sit on the beach and enjoy!