Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Mexico AI or Regular (I am getting a deal)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20th, 2002, 09:16 AM
Freddy

Due to some special "professional" rates, we can stay at regular hotel (will not say which one, but a biggie in Cancun) for 50-70 a night, or we can do AI in Playacar for 190 a night. At regular we of course have to buy our own meals, drinks, etc. AI provides all. I suspect that adding on food/drink/activity costs to the regular deal will exceed the AI cost. Any thoughts on this?

Old Dec 20th, 2002, 11:02 AM
Susan

I guess it depends on how much you plan on eating, drinking, etc. By my calculations, the extra $120 - $140 USD equates to $190 - $225 CAD. I don't think the 2 of us ever spend that much money on food and drinks on a daily basis on a holiday. Mind you, we don't drink a lot, and we don't eat in upscale restaurants every day. Some nights we'll splurge, other nights we'll just have a pizza or whatever. So whether it's a good deal or not depends on how you generally travel. Personally I don't like AI.

Old Dec 20th, 2002, 01:06 PM
x

unless you plan on being drunk non-stop the al doesn't sound like a very good deal. plus, if you don't do the al you can experience more restaurants. jump on the local transit and go downtown for reasonably priced mexican meals.

Old Dec 20th, 2002, 05:14 PM
Nancy

The food at the AI's never comes close to the quality of the wonderful restaurants in the Cancun area.<BR>Plus, the AI's in Playacar are 45 mins to an hour from the action in Cancun.<BR>If you want laid back and don't leave the resort, go for the AI.<BR>Otherwise, stay at the better hotel in Cancun. Lots more to do and see..<BR>

Old Dec 22nd, 2002, 10:37 AM
Laurie

WE had such a good price for an AI that we stayed there - Porto Real and then ate some meals outside of the resort. We liked Playa Del Carmen but weren't that interested in the Cancun nightlife. If you want laid back go south. There are also some great restaurants in Playa. If you want nightlife and a big party time - go to Cancun.

Old Dec 23rd, 2002, 02:22 AM
John

You say it costs 50-70 for a night in the regular or 190 in the AI. But you don't mention what currency you are dealing with. I presume it is not pesos as you would not get a night in an AI for 190 pesos. How can I answer that question when you don't mention what country you come from and what currency you are dealing in? Please write with some clarity in future....