Mexican car insurance at the counter

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4th, 2013, 10:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

our trip to Puebla is only a couple of days away and i would REALLY like to get some clarification. we're renting a car when we arrive in Mexico City and taking it to Puebla. I decided against buses and taxis because my wife is pregnant and want to be ready for anything. My dilemna is this: the mandatory personal liability insurance (PLI) when added to the weekly rate will more than double the price. My question is are there any companies that you all know of that include the Collision damage waiver with the price of the rental? My Mastercard provides coverage as an added benefit. any tips or guidance would be great. thanks!
Old Apr 4th, 2013, 11:53 AM

Your Mastercard only provides collision, and liability is mandatory in Mexico. Sorry but I have not been to that part of Mexico, I know of local agencies in Cancun area who will provide a quote with all insurance included. Also try to get the zero deductible as well. As of recently it went up a bit.

Hopefully someone can recommend an agency in Mexico City that can provide the coverage in a quote and yes it will greatly increase the cost of the rental.
Old Apr 4th, 2013, 12:02 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Mine is only the teeniest bit of help and 2nd hand at that, but I know there IS mandatory insurance in Mexico beyond what your own policies at home c/would cover and that it significantly ups the overall cost of car rental.
Old Apr 4th, 2013, 12:32 PM

Don't be surprised if the insurances cost more than the rental. In the Cancun area, the smaller local rental agencies usually will give you a package deal with all the insurances included (you definitely want this!) at a much cheaper rate than the big chains. I suspect there are similar deals where you are going.
Old Apr 4th, 2013, 12:46 PM

Your CC insurance is totally useless while you are in Mexico. Insure yourself to the hilt or make sure you have room on your CC for the price of the vehicle should the unlikely eventuality arise. Mexican jails are not fun.
Old Apr 4th, 2013, 06:33 PM
Original Poster

thanks for the advice! after a little more digging I found a smaller car rental place that bundled in the insurance for less money and no crazy credit card hold.
Old Apr 5th, 2013, 02:06 PM

have you talked to people that have had a good experience with your new rental outfit? you need to check them out.