Mercosur Airpass : HELP!

Sep 28th, 2003, 11:31 PM
Original Poster

Mercosur Airpass : HELP!

Its me again! I just wanted to make sure I ask the right questions in the right forums! This question is a little more tricky than the others! Any help will be greatly appreciated
I am planning my honeymoon from Dec 03 to Jan 03
Since I will be travelling to a few destiantions within South america, I understand that the Mercosur Airpass is a good option. However there appears to me no or little information in my country on this. My itenienary is as follows
Cape Town to Buenos Aires
Buenos Aires to Iguazu
Iguazu to Iguacu ( by surface)
Iguacu to Rio
Rio to Sao Paulo
I am told that this itienary does not qualfy for the airpass as I need to have a min of 2 stops in each country and the start and final destiantion do not calculate as stops. Is this true? Also that Aerolineas Argentinas is no more part of this alliance and I will be required to buy the Buenos Aires - Iguazu sector regardless of whether I buy the airpass or not.
Does anyone have any information on this?
Thanks in Advance
Sep 29th, 2003, 04:59 AM

The pass requires that you visit 2 countries. It also requires that you make two stops. It does not require you to make two stops in each country. Your first stop is IGU/IR. Your visit to Sao Paulo was only to make Rio a second stop on the pass, but you would be flying home from Rio. If you want to stop at Sao Paulo (I can't imagine why), then do this before going to Rio.

You need to look for a travel agent where you live who sells this pass. You may not find one.
Sep 30th, 2003, 03:14 AM
Original Poster

Hey thanks for your post. I heard from a travel agent that the iguazu sector cannot be serviced by the pass because for some obscure reason the flights of serolineas argentinas cannot be combined on the same ticket as any of the brazilian airlines! Which means that if I do indeed want to see the falls, I will need to by a seperate ticket for this sector which comes up to GBP 212.60 for business class and GBP 86 for economy! I will also need to buy these on the net as there appears to be NO information on South America with any of the agents here!
Oct 3rd, 2003, 12:49 PM

i'm with the previous poster re sao paulo (why?). the city was built in a god forsaken part of the country in order to attract some economic activity to an area which other wise would be/should be ignored. re iguazu, go. take land transport if you have to but go. consider staying in one of the older hotels near the falls. get up early in the morning (really early) and walk down before anyone gets there. it's worth it.
Oct 3rd, 2003, 05:27 PM

Southern Winds can get you from Buenos Aires to the Iguazu, Argentina. I think they are on the pass, and they are an Argentine carrier. They would fly out of the Aeroparque Jorge Newberry, not EZE the international one.

travelocity shows one-way fares B.A. to Iguazu for about $120 and then Iguasu, Brazil to Rio for about $190. Not bad.