MAYAN COAST! FIRST TIMER!

Old Dec 29th, 2000, 08:37 PM
diane

MAYAN COAST! FIRST TIMER!

my husband and i are traveling for 1st time anywhere! husband's cuz owns travel agency. suggested mayan coast. We are in our 40's want to sightsee and snorkel, drink margaritas and be beach bums. our agent suggested El Dorado Resort & Spa. Can anyone tell me their opinion and offer some tips on traveling. told not to rent car. bus or taxi? and should i be afraid of the "peso"? Going in January. Please let me know i am not alone. diane in very cold detroit

Old Dec 30th, 2000, 09:36 AM
Susan

We've been there several times and enjoy it a lot. We too love to snorkel and there are lots of opportunities along the coast. I'm not sure why you were told not to rent a car. We usually rent a car for a day or 2 - we usually stay in Playa del Carmen - and we can then drive down the coast and explore a bit. Driving is very easy in that area. (One note - most rental cars are standard transmission.) I don't know your hotel - we usually stay in a small places in town. What do you mean about being afraid of the peso?

There's lots of sightseeing there - you can go to Tulum to see small ruins, or go to Coba to see much larger ruins (less excavated).

I'm sure you'll have a great time! We love Mexico and have gone many times. We're going back to Mexico in February (west coast and interior) and can't wait! I can't remember this much snow in December in Toronto - it's just too much.

Old Dec 30th, 2000, 12:00 PM
Debbie

diane: as Americans you have no need to be 'afraid of the peso' - everything is priced in pesos and U.S. $ but the tendency is to work in pesos. You get about 9 pesos to one u.s. dollar so it's easy to remember how much something is costing you in pesos.
Your ta's advice to not rent a taxi is incorrect especially in this part of Mexico. We took a taxi from our resort (the RIU Yucatan) down to Akumal for some excellent snorkelling - we checked at the front desk as to how much a taxi would cost and they not only told us what to expect to pay, they ordered one up to the door. Then when telling the taxi driver where you want to go, always check the cost with the cab driver and make sure it's the same as quoted by the hotel. Not to worry though, the Mexican people are too nice a lot to try and rip you off. Note though that they will quote in pesos usually so just divide by 9 to know what you are paying in U.S.
You really should pick up either Fodor's or Frommers' (no offense Fodor's people) 2001 edition of Cancun, Cozumel and the Yucatan as it will answer any and all questions you would have for your first time trip to this part of the Caribbean. Seriously, go out and buy the book now.
If you have any more questions, please do not hesitate to email direct.

Old Jan 1st, 2001, 12:53 PM
Karen

Definately rent a car and explore both north and south! in fact, if you go to www.cancunmaps.com you can order some wonderful maps that also serve as a great travel guide! We also chose to fly rather than drive to Chichen Itza one morning from Playa (they also have charters from Cozumel and Cancun as well) and it was wonderful!

Old Jan 3rd, 2001, 10:17 AM
Sharon

Hi! My husband and I have been going to the Riviera Maya for over ten years and you are going to love it! In fact, a year and a half ago we ended up buying a place down there in Akumal. Akumal is the "Jewl" of the Riviera Maya. If you want a place to just hang out and be a beach bum, this is the place! Relaxed and low key but with first class restaurants and snorkeling...and a few great beach bars! You are not that far from Playa Del Carmen for shopping and people watching, or catching the ferry over to Cozumel for a day. Tulum is 10 minutes away and Coba is an hour. Chichen Itza is two hours away. We always rent a car. There are just too many places to go and thing to see. If you are interested in more info on the area you can email me at [email protected]. There is a great board on the area you can go to;
http://www.locogringo.com
Don't worry about the peso. Youcan use US Dollars or exchange at any of the banks or money exchange places.
Have a great trip!!!
http://akumal-sevenseas.com