Maya Mountain Lodge/Caye Caulker

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 09:29 AM
gail

Maya Mountain Lodge/Caye Caulker

Does anyone have information about Maya Mountain Lodge? Where would you stay on Caye Caulker?

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 01:04 PM
Lan Sluder

Maya Mountain wouldn't be my first choice in Cayo, but it's an okay moderately priced spot about a mile from San Ignacio, on the Christo Rey road. It has some cabanas and a small above-ground pool.<BR><BR>On Caulker in the low-moderate range I'd choose Tree Tops. Moderate maybe Shirley's or Anchorage. Upper (US$100) Iguana Reef.<BR><BR>--Lan Sluder<BR>www.belizefirst.com

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 04:01 PM
gail

How about Mopan River Resort, or your suggestions?

Old Jan 18th, 2003, 04:53 AM
Lan Sluder

Mopan River Resort is an all-inclusive -- cabana, meals, tours, transfers, taxes, etc. all included in the price. It's a very good value, and I like it, but all-inclusives are't for everyone. Also, it's not really a jungle lodge -- it's across the Mopan River from the town of Benque Viejo. <BR><BR>As an aside, the co-owner Jay Picon, not his real name, is a prominent tax fugitive from the U.S. -- there was front page article about him in the Wall Street Journal. But a nice guy, and he might give you some free tax tips.<BR><BR>Since you are looking at both Maya Mountain and Mopan River Resort, two totally different kinds of places, I'm baffled as to what kind of place you are actually looking for, and at what price level, so I don't think I can make any suggestions.<BR><BR>--Lan Sluder (San Pedro Cool, Fodor's Belize &amp; Guatemala, Adapter Kit: Belize, Belize First Guide to Mainland Belize, etc.)

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 10:57 PM
Susan

I stayed at Maya Mtn last month, and did not enjoy my time there much - it was kind of far from town, and there were quite a few insects in the cabanas. We moved to a hotel in town called Casa Blanca, and were much happier with the cleaner rooms and much cheaper rates.