COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Margarita Island?

Old Aug 15th, 1997, 05:58 AM
Jan

Margarita Island?

We are thinking about a January vacation on Margarita Island, but have been hearing that it is not the best (safest) place for 2 women (35 & 45) to travel alone. Can you give us any information that would help us decide? We are also looking at Puerto La Cruz on the mainland - Doral. Any advice/suggestions would be appreciated.

Old Sep 2nd, 1997, 04:35 PM
Denise Norrie

We are travelling to Venezuela (arriving December 31) for 3 weeks and have been unable to locate a travel book for the country. We wish to travel south to Maracaibo, then back to Puerto la Cruz and perhaps to Margarhita Island. We would appreciate any assistance with securing accomodation as we are booking our own hotels, etc.

We have been in Venezuela before in 1991 but would like to see a little more of the country. Also, we may wish to rent a car.

Thanks for your help

Old Sep 7th, 1997, 04:27 PM
chs

we are planning a honeymoon for margarita island...any info...ANY...will be greatly appreciated!

Old Sep 8th, 1997, 08:34 AM
Susan

Margarita Island is wonderful. We stayed at
the beautiful Isla Bonita. It was wonderful.
There is a beach, fabulous pool area, mountains
and the nicest people of any place I've trav-
eled. The people were lovely. Food was also
great at the hotel. There is a great
restaurant and flamenco show downtown--the name
eludes me at present but I do have it on file.
I do think it is safe for 2 women but caution
should be used anywhere. Have fun!

Old Sep 8th, 1997, 11:38 AM
Susan

To update my own reply on Margarita Island,
Isla Bonita is a reasonably priced 5 star
hotel. It really is lovely. The restaurant
that offers the flamenco show and great paella
is Sevillana's in Porlamar which can be driven
from Islan Bonita. Coche Island is a fun boat
ride from Margarita but not necessary as there
is such a nice beach at I. Bonita.

Old Sep 18th, 1997, 10:56 AM
Jan

I am going to Caracas and want to go for an overnight to Margarita Island? I think this is possible but if anyone has done it, I would appreciate info. I'm leaving Sept.29.

Old Sep 28th, 1997, 06:47 AM
Barbara Weinstein

Hi Susan - I tried to reply to your email address, but someone else answered saying I reached the wrong party.
We went to Margarita Island years ago and liked it very much (Hotel was called the Concord then), but the beach was unusable. Is the beach nice at the Isla Bonita and were you able to get a package deal? Thankyou.
Bobbie

Old Oct 8th, 1997, 08:06 PM
Albert

we had a great time in the Margarita Islands.Take a trip on the Flight Going to the falls as well as the"Catameran Trip" its the best! Its a one Day trip
We stayed a the Margarita Village An all inclusive resort for $1800.00 per person for 2 weeks.

Old Oct 11th, 1997, 11:08 AM
Mary Jane

We travelled to Puerto La Cruz and stayed at Doral Beach. I must caution that this was nine years ago. The beach was really great and we weren't bothered by vendors on the resort, although we could walk to the end of the property where vendors were set up. We had fun bartering! The biggest disappointment was the food. The resort restaurant was terrible and the smell of sewer wasn't uncommon on the resort. The meals in town (and we tried many different establishments) did not agree with us either - perhaps because everything is cooked with fish oil. We were a bit "put out" when a group of army personal arrived on the beach one afternoon with machine guns over their shoulders. They didn't bother the guests but the liquer store was shut down for the duration of our stay. As I said this was years ago and a lot could have changed but perhaps take some crackers and peanut butter - I would have killed for some!!!

Old Oct 28th, 1997, 12:02 PM
barb

we were told not to go by the travel agent, who said that crime had increased, both on the island and in caracas...we thought we'd be interested in the allegro resorts on the island, since we had just been to diamond resort cozumel (the food was just ok, the alcohol great, and our room was right on the beach and snorkeling was right there...) -- if thins have changed in caracas and on the island, please write back, we're still game to go.

Old Oct 29th, 1997, 07:30 PM
a. lukosky

Margarita Isand is the safest place you can ever be at! Even safer than Life styles! Stay at the Maria Luisa Hotl and you will be in safe hands! Face it! Like our dearest friend in Argentina, Eva, everyone must survive. We enjoyed the air of ambivalence the business ladies exuded! Their lilting voices floating on the cool and calm air of the Caribbean tradewinds inspirsed us!
The Flamenco restaurant show was outstanding.
Go to Margarita Island! Your memories will endure forever! Take Fodors Guide with you!