Manuel Antonio vs Santa Teresa?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11th, 2011, 05:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are going to Costa Rica in late February. We would like to go to Arenal and a Pacific coastal destination. We are debating between the Nicoya peninsula (specifically Santa Teresa) or manuel Antonio. We are 30, and are pretty active (like hiking, exploring etc.) We will likely rent a car (not sure which airport we will fly into yet) and will have 9 days total. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old Oct 12th, 2011, 04:36 AM

spirit.com into SJO cheapest for me

servicecarrental.com cheap better than driver for me

hotelvillacaletas.com around my flights

arenasdelmar.com manuelantoniopark.com great more

wildlife tripadvisor.com/members/natureguide great guide

then Arenal.net tabacon.com lostiguanaresort.com

desafiocostarica.com for adventures

For me Rio Celeste hike ruralcostarica.com

Prettiest spot in CA/CR go for it!

Happy Planning!
Old Oct 12th, 2011, 04:38 AM

Santa Theresa more for surfers Montezuma ok

not as much driving good beach wildlife not

as good as MA but

hotelcasachameleon.com moanalodge.com

ylangylangresort.com all good there.

Enjoy...
Old Oct 18th, 2011, 10:25 AM

I've been to both, they are both completely different. How long do you want to stay there? Santa Teresa was wonderful, it is not "touristy" at all, and had endless (I mean walk for HOURS AND HOURS) of beautiful beaches. There is Cabo Blanco national park also which we did not have a chance to see. We mostly went there to try surfing which we also did

Manuel Antonio is definitely more of a typical destination, it has the "smallest national park with the most animals" and there were TONS of animals. We didn't regret going to either destination.

We took Nature Air from San Jose to Tambor to get to Santa Teresa (took a taxi from Tambor to Santa Teresa - $40). And we took Nature Air from Tambor to Quepos to get to Manuel Antonio. So it is do-able to do both as well. We stayed 3 nights near ST and 2 nights in MA.

We stayed at Blue Jay Lodge in Malpais (down the road from Santa Teresa) and I would recommend it.

In 10 days we did 1 night near SJ, 3 nights ST, 2 nights MA, 2 nights Monteverde, 2 nights Arenal. It was jam packed but very fun and all the destinations were worth going to. To get from MA to Monteverde we hired a private driver.

Our 2nd trip we did Puerto Viejo which was also a nice relaxing beach / surfer destination and we loved the feeling of that area (very relaxed, nice people).

Have a wonderful trip.
Old Oct 18th, 2011, 01:31 PM

I´ve also have been to both places and I would say these are great choices, in my opinion they are my favorites. Manuel Antonio is a very developed and touristy area, the national park is amazing, lots of wildlife and the beaches inside it are gorgeous.
Santa Teresa is very different but has its own unique charm, for me is an off the beaten path destination. Love the beach in Santa Teresa!! You can visit Cabo Blanco, Tortuga Island or the Montezuma Waterfall while you are there.
I would vote for Santa Teresa, but it all depends on your preferences. Late February is high season, so problably MA would be crowded.
Recommended hotels:
Si Como No www.sicomono.com Manuel Antonio
Tropico Latino www.hoteltropicolatino.com Santa Teresa

For either destination I would advice you to fly in/out SJO airport.
Hope this helps!!