manuel antonio still pristine?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14th, 2006, 03:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was in Manuel Antonio, Costa Rica about 12 years ago and loved it. The trees on the beach were just covered with monkeys. The jungle was unspoiled, the water clear. Had great food in a little hut run by an older woman and her grown son. But I've read that it's been overrun by tourists and it's no longer unspoiled. I'm tentatively planning a C.R. trip for the summer and wonder if I should return. Any input?
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 04:00 PM

I was in Manuel Antonio 15 years ago , 10 years ago , and just last year . I did find a lot more build up , particularly the hill near SiComoNo ( thats around Mariposa , Villas Nicolas , Villas Del Parque , Barba Roja , Etc. ) It did indeed make me sad , I certainly hope the seemingly rampant building is slowed a bit ..... BUT , I still loved it . Incredible views still pristine , wonderful beaches still the same , tons of animals , lush surroundings , we will definitely return. It's not the Osa , but it wasn't the Osa 10 years ago either !! Still a charming place if you know what to expect .
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 04:06 PM

Guy18, I visited Manuel Antonio national park in June 2005 for the first time with my family. We also saw the Hanging Bridges rainforest hike in Arenal and the Monteverde Cloud forest reserve. Coudn't help comparisons.

We found the Manuel Antonio national park to be very much affected by man. It is too easy to go off the path there and people do. The rainforest suffers. Yes you can still see monkeys easily. There is also one sloth near a small bulding which looks like it has been planted there, so conveniently near the path! Maybe this is coincidence. Anyway the beaches were beautiful. Yes it was crowded, but we're from San Diego and in the summer our beaches are one beach towel right next to the other and people running into each other while body-surfing. Manuel Antonio isn't that crowded compared to San Diego!

But we found the rainforest at the Hanging Bridges in Arenal, and the Monteverde Cloud forest reserve, both of which we saw first thing in the morning, to be far more unspoiled.

On the other hand we actually enjoyed the Hotel Si Como No, where we stayed as our one splurge. But we liked the Lost Iguana resort in Arenal better, and it was cheaper.

Loved the butterfly garden right across the street from Hotel Si Como No, they give a very nice guided tour there. Great for all ages.

Hope this helps!

Old Jan 14th, 2006, 04:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. Every time I search the net on Costa Rica, I find 5 new places that I want to visit. It's hard to make a decision...do I go back to the tried and true, or do I find new versions of paradise? It's a good problem to have...
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 07:18 PM

If you want to go to a beautiful place that is undeveloped without many tourists, I suggest visiting Boca Tapada. They have 2 small motels there. You have to drive 2 hours on an unpaved road to get there.

I did not like Manuel Antonio much as I thought it was overbuilt, too touristy, and expensive.
Old Jan 15th, 2006, 12:39 PM

I also am a bit surprised that everyone raves about MA. We were lucky and never had to queue to get in the park but still there were a lot of people on the paths and MA beach. The park is very small so the animals are stuck inside and it's easy to see them but you also see about 20 cameras round one poor little tortoise! As for the water - it may be clean but it certainly wasn't clear when we were there - it's kind of muddy and not at all transparent. Much better beaches and less tourists on the carribbean side.
Old Jan 15th, 2006, 03:40 PM

The water CAN indeed be very clear , depends on how much rain there has been , Etc.
Old Jan 15th, 2006, 03:44 PM

DarioW: Please explain where Boca Tapada is in Costa Rica. This sounds like just the place for me
Old Jan 15th, 2006, 05:51 PM

Boca Tapada is not far from the Nicaraguan border 2.5 hours from Ciudad Quesada in the State of San Carlos. It is on the San Juan River.

There are 2 SMALL motels there:
La Laguna del Lagarto
http://adventure-costarica.com/lagun...odge/index.htm

and Pedacito de Cielo www.pedacitodecielo.com

Both are small places and have river and hiking tours. I did not see a single American tourist in that area. The few tourists I did see were from Europe.

The area is incredibly beautiful and remote with a lot of wildlife. The locals there are not like what you see in touristy places. Most are poor farmers and speak no English. The people there were incredibly friendly.

In the San Juan River, they have a type of crayfish/lobster type that was delicious.

I recommend this visit to people who want to get into the remote areas of the country. It is two hours driving on a gravel road. You need to be careful while driving. I had a serious car accident there.
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 08:37 AM

The National Park is by no stretch of the imagination 'pristine'. I've shuddered to myself several times recently as posters have mentioned seeing some animal there surrounded by tourists.

There are so many other wonderful places in CR that it seems a shame to me that so many people go to MA for their taste of the 'rainforest' and Costa Rican wildlife.

Jerry
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 09:57 AM

I am the first one to admit that the area is becoming terribly built up , having said so many times , it made me quite sad . That being said , Everyone goes to Costa Rica for different reasons , different expectations , different family dynamics (kids -no kids ) , different comfort zone levels , etc. etc. I will visit all kinds of areas in Costa Rica oneday , but we shouldn't knock those who visit oneplace over another . I feel no shame for visiting Manuel Antonio , nor for still liking it . I like it for exactly what it is . Just like I am sure I will love the Osa Peninsula for what it is .
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 11:43 AM

Faithie,

I certainly did not intend to make anyone feel 'guilty' or to sound judgemental.

And, of course, everyone has their own expectations and comfort level. Even with the nature / birding tours I've lead to Newfoundland and Vancouver Island there are some people who prepare extensively and others who just want to be told where to look and what to look at.........

It's just that Costa Rica is so amazingly filled with large and small wonders that I wish that everyone could take the time to experience them for themselves 'in the wild'.

Jerry [who knows all of the words to 'Sudbury Saturday Night.']
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 12:14 PM

Betcha don't know all the words to " I'm bud the spud from the bright red mud " !!! lol , no harm done .
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 12:23 PM

"Rollin down the highway smilin' ....the spuds are big on the back of that rig 'cause they're from prince edward island....."
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 01:02 PM

Ha !! LOL .
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 07:25 PM
MA2

I was in Manuel Antonio over Christmas week. I would agree that the one main road running through Manuel Antonio is somewhat built up with restaurants and hotels, but definitely in moderation. Let's put things in perspective...they aren't paving new roads through the rainforest, and the government still protects the vast majority of the land there (im not talking just about the MA National Park either). There are no large chain resorts, and the area has much of a small town feeling.

We rented a house built on the hilltops surrounded by abundant wildlife. Everyday at 4pm, the monkeys showed up to feed on all the blooming flowers on the trees around our house. There are also monkeys in the MA National Park, but keep in mind that the park is the #1 tourist attraction in the area, so as Costa Rica and MA get more popular, so does the Park. That said, they still limit the # of people in the park at one time.

Additionally, you have to look at the other side of increased tourism and increased business. We met some of the nicest people working in these establishments. Most of whom were raised in the region, and they are working hard to save money for a brighter future -- whether it be a car, an engagement ring for a girlfriend, or to support their families. The quality of life continues to increase for many of the locals -- its a nice thing to witness.

I'm a huge proponent of unspoiled wildlife, and hope the government takes big steps to protect the rainforests as CR continues to gain popularity.