Manuel Antonio and/or Arenal

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24th, 2007, 10:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My fiance and I will honeymoon in Costa Rica in September but only have 5 nights. We wanted to do both Arenal and Manuel Antonio but I am worried that we won't have enough time to relax and enjoy.

If we do 2 nights at Tabacon then travel to Manuel Antonio, do you think that would be enough time? Or should we just do Manuel Antonio?

Also, anyone have experience with La Mansion, La Mariposa, or Casa Conde del Mar?
Thanks!
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 05:35 AM

With only 5 days, I'd just do one location. You could squeeze in Arenal, but you'd spend a day traveling...or at least have to catch a couple flights.

I've been to La Mansion to drink at the Bat Cave, but that's about it...the place looked very elegant though. As far as La Mariposa, we met a couple that were staying there last time we were in MA. They said it was nice, but when they dropped by to visit us a Tulemar / Buena Vista Villas, they said that they wish they would've stayed there instead. I think that was probably because of the beach at Tulemar though, as I've heard decent things about La Mariposa. For a honeymoon, I'd highly recommend Tulemar...that secluded beach can really was great for our honeymoon.

If you don't have a car, reaize that you'll have to walk a ways from La Mansion or La Mariposa to hit the main road (if you're walking to restaurants, etc.) If you're catching cabs or a shuttle everywhere or have a car that won't be a big deal.

Old Apr 25th, 2007, 05:52 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much! Where would you recommend staying that is in walking distance besides Tulemar?
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 06:39 AM

Walking distance from what? If you mean the actual MA park & beach, nothing is really within walking distance that I would recommend for a honeymoon...you'd have to take a cab or shuttle to MA park & beaches no matter WHERE you stay.

Don't get me wrong about the walk from La Mansion, it can be done, it's just a bit of a hike to the main road. I think La Mansion may have a path down to their own private beach, but you may want to have someone confirm confirm that.I do know that it has beautiful views though!
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 06:47 AM

What time to you arrive and depart in San Jose? If you arrive early and leave late, you could do both.

You could get a private transfer from the airport to Arenal, and spend two nights. Then take the Nature Air flight to Quepos. Spend three nights here, and catch the early Sansa back to San Jose.

Keep in mind that you probably have to check in three hours early for the international flight. So you want to leave an extra hour or two, just to be safe. But the good news is that the early flights on Sansa are more reliable than the afternoon flights. The weather is the biggest factor that plays with the schedule, and the mornings are generally dry. Even in green season.

To be honest, I don't like the hotel choices. For a honeymoon, I recommend Tulemar, Buena Vista, Makanda by the Sea, or Hotel Gaia over the other choices mentioned. I think that Lost Iguana Resort or Hotel Arenal Kioro are better choices at the volcano.

I hope this helps! Let me know if I can offer more advice.

Warm Regards,
Pat Hewitt
(Travel Professional)
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 06:59 AM

I agree, it can be done if the early arrival / late flight out happens. I didn't think about that. It still may be a bit rushed for a honeymoon, but do-able.
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 11:44 AM
Original Poster

Thank you again!
I guess I'm worried about being rushed on our honeymoon. If you had to pick one place - would you spend the time in Arenal or MA? Besides the volcano, can you do most of the same things in MA?
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 12:09 PM

There's PLENTY to do both places, and both are very different. As far as activities like zip lining, horse back riding, etc...those can be done either place.

If you were choosing the Arenal area based solely on the volcano, then five days there may be too much for you, especially if the views don't pan out (although once you got there you'd find plenty to do).

Bottom line is, I'd say if you're "beach" people and want to spend a few of those days relaxing on the ocean, touring the park, etc. then choose MA and save Arenal for next trip if ya don't want to rush and move around a lot.

You could always spend the last day of your trip taking a one day tour of the Central Valley as well.

Old Apr 25th, 2007, 04:19 PM

Spending the last afternoon/night relaxing back in the central valley (close to the airport) at a spa hotel like Xandari or a destination hotel like Peace Lodge (La Paz Waterfall Garden) would add a nice dimension to your honeymoon, following time at the beach.
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 04:42 PM

If you do happen to go to Arenal, there is a really nice boat ride on the lake with beautiful views. Also, Tabacon Hot Springs is AMAZING! I've taken students on two trips to Costa Rica- and it was one of their (and my) favorite things. It is simply paradise! Sitting in the natural hot and cold springs with the views of the volcano (the red lava at night down the side of the volcano) and the tropical flowers and plants everywhere you look is quite an experience and incredibly romantic. They also offer mud baths and massage and cocktails in the natural spring pools. Good luck and enjoy
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 06:47 PM

Another soul who thinks Tabacon is gorgeous and yes, romantic! A day at the spa there, coupled with soaking in the springs would be a fun and relaxing "honeymooning" thing to do. The spa at Tabacon is absolutely a MAHvelous experience should you make it to Arenal--rated top 10 Mexico, Central, and South America. Very well deserved.

Back to Pat's thoughts--maybe you should do both, not to be incredibly active (although it is possibly in both places), but just to appreciate two totally different areas of the country, in a more relaxed style. If you can manage to arrive by 2:00 in the p.m. (take only carry ons, dress is extremely casual) and delay departure until about the same time, you should be fine. You can get to Arenal that same day. It's a tough decision. By the way, congratulations and have a beautiful honeymoon!
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 07:13 PM

Haha, good thing you're honeymoon's not till September...we'll have you SOOOOOOO torn by then!
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 08:46 PM
Original Poster

You guys are great - and very helpful. I talked to my fiance today (I have been planning thus far) and he likes the idea of doing just one destination.

We can attempt the day trip to Tabacon/Arenal if it is recommended and we can get good transportation. Or do the last night somewhere closer to San Jose....would it be out of the way to do the last night at the Peace Lodge?

All that driving time (no puddle jumpers for me folks) will cut into relaxing time. We like adventure but may lean towards the more peaceful stuff this time around.
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 03:18 PM

Returning from Manuel Antonio, Peace Lodge would be the perfect place to relax for your last night or two. Also, as mentioned earlier, Xandari (it's a bit closer to the airport and has a good spa). Peace Lodge's claim to fame is its unique rooms, of course, and location on the grounds of La Paz Waterfall Gardens. . .
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 11:35 AM

Hi!
I just wanted to give my experience. We stayed at La Mansion Inn in Sept. '06 and LOVED it! My boyfriend and I (late 20s) spent 6 nights there and it was so relaxing and romantic. The staff there are all wonderful. It is very small, I think there are only 12 rooms. We stayed in the least expensive and it was perfect. The decor is a little over the top, meaning that it is very Victorian. The only reason I mention that is because this hotel does not give a Costa Rican "bungalow" type of feel at all. It is fancy=) We loved everything about it though. The breakfast (included) is sooo good. We met 3 couples at La Mansion on their honeymoon.
You might also want to consider Issimo Suites, which is right next door to La Mansion. They have a private beach and huge rooms. We are staying there this summer for 2 nights just for a comparison to La Mansion. (We are getting married in MA in '08 and are looking for a place to hold the reception so we are trying to check out different places). That being said, we haven't stayed anywhere else BUT we looked at several hotels during our Sept. trip and all said and done, we were very pleased with our choice of La Mansion.
Other thoughts: Villas Nicolas is very nice too and very reasonably priced. I would have actually chose it over Buena Vista. Makanda is beautiful. Gaia is beautiful but IMHO, wayyy over priced. So many choices in this area though, you really can't go wrong with all of these great suggestions from these posts!
Old May 1st, 2007, 08:55 AM

hi - i would recommend staying at kioros in arenal (quiet and private). our family just returned and it is beautiful. the staff was wonderful. they will also have their own hot springs as well by the time you travel there. in manuel antonio, the tulemar is beautiful and you can walk to the beach that is on their property. they have a shuttle that takes you to and from your room. the road is okay to walk down to the beach but we ALWAYS took the shuttle back up. we stayed at the buena vista villas. we rented one of the casas as everything else was booked. if you cannot get rooms at the tuelmar then the villas are also a good choice ... do not rent the casas as they are very expensive. they are both on the same property. what is nice about this property is that the beach is private and safe (mild waves-surf). they have chairs/umbrellas, boogie boards)for you to use. they also have weddings right on their beach it is so nice.
Old May 1st, 2007, 09:01 AM

In Manuel Antonio...try Buena Vista Villas and Casas...see the web site at tulemar.net....try one of the bungalows ...Tulemar and Buena Vista they share the same beach...same location...same entrance!!!

R.A
Old May 19th, 2007, 02:47 PM

A friend of mine just stayed at Makanda in MA for her honeymoon and loved it. We stayed at Mango Moon on our last trip and can recommend the king upper balcony suite - it's huge and has its own private balcony and entrance. We were originally in another room that was okay, but we got upgraded for free, and the king room was amazing.

In Arenal, Lost Iguana is really nice. Our balcony had a gorgeous view of the volcano and a hot tub for relaxing.
Old May 19th, 2007, 02:59 PM

I do not recommend La Mariposa. I stayed there and was VERY UNHAPPY.