Manuel Antonio 7 days too much

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4th, 2006, 06:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First time in Costa Rica I am travelling with my 13 year old son, not renting a car, flying from San Jose to Manuel Antonio (El Parador, anyone been there?) thought this was a good destination, if we do canopy tour, beach, rafting do you think we should shorten our time and have 2 days in San Jose to do a day trip to Poas? Any recommendations?

Would really appreciate some feedback so much to do in Costa Rica
Old Feb 4th, 2006, 06:16 AM

Well I am not saying that 7 days is too much, but it would be a shame to miss some of the activities and scenery in the Central region of CR.

A day in the MA park, rafting, canopy tour - also look at the Finca Valmy Horseback tour and Rainmaker, you still with have enough time to spend on the beach - I think 5 days would certainly be enough.

Back near SJ I would recommend one of the highlight or 4 in 1 tours (several names for this type tour). This tour will take you to Poas Volcano, onto La Paz Waterfall Gardens and then to the Sarapiqui river for either a float or rafting. Offering you a very interesting day.

Also if you are really enjoying rafting you might look at a day on the Pacuare River, good rafting, fun day.

What time of year are you traveling?
Old Feb 4th, 2006, 06:33 AM
Jed

Of course, it depends on what your intentions are. If you want to relax at MA, that is fine.

But if you want to have an exciting vacation seeing CR, then there are many places to go with a tour group or private driver.
Old Feb 4th, 2006, 11:46 AM

we traveled with family, and in 9 days saw a lot of the country, we were recommended to fly, NatureAir and it was probably the only way we could have accomplished seeing the country, from both ground and sky, the pilots even point out attractions along the way
Old Feb 4th, 2006, 06:56 PM
Original Poster

Still wondering about hotels. Has anyone stayed at Hotel Parador in Manuel Antonio or does anyone have a recommendation for a hotel that would be casual and comfortable with a restaurant and pool without being expensive.We are travelling in April
Old Feb 5th, 2006, 04:10 AM

SiComo No and Costa Verde are better choices I believe . Others like Hotel California , even for your son Mono Azul , it's more budget , but actually a great spot . Parador is not hugely popular , although if you search there have been some positive comments . Depends on what you like . I find it a bit of an oddity. It's really " glam " , and a bit over the top . But you could love it ..... Give the others a check .We loved Costa Verde , also Villas Nicolas is a great spot .
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 06:05 AM

I am writing this from Costa Rica( La Fortuna) I would highly recommend a one day raft trip on the Pacquare River. We stayed in San Jose area for a night so we could do this. Rios Tropical was who we booked through and they run a first class operation. If you stay a few days in San Jose you would be able to do this raft trip as well as a day trip to the Poas Volcano and/or La Paz Waterfalls.We were just in Manuel Antonio for 3 days. There is lots to do. There is a Hotel with a pool between Quepos and Manuel Antonio called Hotel Plinios or Pinios. We did not stay there, but worth a look. We had dinner there and it was very good. I agree that 5 days in Manuel Antonio would be enough.
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 06:32 AM

plinios is a great little spot . Nice owners , nice restaurant . Closer to Quepos than the park .
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 07:44 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies. Didn't think Parador was right for us, sounds like we should try Costa Verde, couldn't find a website for Plinios. Which canopy tour would you recommend? This is the area to do that , right? Would also love to try a real local restaurant, anyone have favorites?
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 03:29 AM

Plinios has a website , I will try to find it .... Costa Verde is super though . We stayed in an efficiency unit , in the D-Unit which is across the road from pool and restaurant . We had an awesome view , saw tons of wildlife , at a great cost . Building B is next to the pool , slightly more money , and would also be great . Some rooms have tremendous views as well .
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 07:05 PM
Original Poster

Everyone seems to agree Costa Verde is a great family hotel, unfortunately booked for the time I want to travel. Is it easy to go from one hotel to another for meals?
Old Feb 10th, 2006, 03:13 AM

Cabs or buses are easy , we did it with two children . Plinios is really quite cute . Villas Nicolas ? Villas del Parque ? Mono Azul ?
Old Feb 10th, 2006, 03:22 AM

Casitas Eclipse could work , check out trip advisor . I responded on other post ....