Making SANSA Reservations

Old Oct 23rd, 2002, 03:19 PM
Leah

Making SANSA Reservations

I've noticed that a couple people have suggested having the hotel you're staying at make your reservations on SANSA. These people seem to have had problems with SANSA not honoring the reservations they made themselves on the internet. Is this a widespread problem? The SANSA website looks OK. Do looks deceive??
Thanks!

Old Oct 24th, 2002, 12:10 PM
Rudy and Odette

No, no deceipt here, it's just that Sansa usually doesn't accept internet bookings made more than 48 hrs. in advance. Besides, in low season it's usually no problem have a hotel book for you a day ahead (or sometimes even the same day) and usually hotel clerks have various ways of getting what they want (knowing the right people in the right places sound familiar...).

Old Oct 25th, 2002, 02:28 PM
Leah

Thanks for responding. What about the high season? I'll actually be going in March. I've also been reading that NatureAir is more reliable, but SANSA seems more convenient.

Old Oct 26th, 2002, 08:29 AM
Tess

Leah,

In September I was in Costa Rica. I used SANSA's online website to purchase my ticket from Quepos to San Jose. I bought plane ticket about a week before I left the US for CR. Had no problems with my reservation, nor any difficulty w/flight.

I can see that bookings on short notice thru website could be problematic. Other than San Jose, most of CR's little airports are VERY small. Really the "airport" in Quepos (as well as the one in Tamarindo) is an airstrip next to a single small building. When you check in, it's with a guy sitting at a desk --- no computer, no equipment. You simply hand your ticket (MUST bring what you print off the web) and he tears off his portion. They have a scale and they weigh your bags. When I flew there was only four passengers, so weight was not an issue. I'd imagine they're more stringent on any restrictions if traveling on a full plane during high season.

Old Oct 27th, 2002, 08:42 AM
Rudy and Odette

In high season SANSA flies to Tamarindo six times a day and leaves from the International Airport Juan Santamaria (the Sansa building is next door). NatureAir leaves from Pavas airport, not too far from the international airport. NatureAir is somewhat more expensive (some 5-8 dollars per person)one way.

Rudy and Odette
Playa Tamarindo, Costa Rica

Old Oct 27th, 2002, 05:08 PM
Iza

I flew both Sansa and NatureAir (when it was still Travelair) on our 2 trips to CR and from my experience Sansa was more on time. Sansa also flies bigger planes (10-12 passengers, 2 pilots). Travelair's planes were 4-6 seaters with one pilot.
Travelair is more acommodating with unscheduled stops and can vary flights to accommodate individual needs (we asked for the SJ-Puerto Jimenez flight to stop in Quepos to pick us up and it was no problem).