Search

Machu Picchu Heights!!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14th, 2006, 04:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Machu Picchu Heights!!

My husband and I are planning a trip to Machu Picchu. We are "gentle" hikers, not real strenuous. I am anxious to visit the ruins, however, I'm concerned about the area as I AM afraid of heights. We're not doing the Inca trail, but will try to stay overnight at the hotel at the ruins. Please tell me what to expect as I don't want to have an anxiety attack right there! Can one visit the ruins without being three feet from the "edge"? Also, how rainy or wet can one expect it to be in April? We would prefer to go with less crowds than the summer. Can you guys also share tour guide tips or other tips? Thanks
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 05:17 PM

I do not think you have any reason for concern. The walking in the ruins area is not strenuous or challenging. There are areas you may choose not to walk to because of your fear of heights, but most of the area should not cause anxiety.
I visited Machu Picchu as part of travel arranged by Andrew Gilchrist of Lost World Adventures. He had a guide go with my three friends and me from Cusco to Aguas Calientes and take the bus up to Machu Picchu. Our guide was exceptionally good. We stayed at the Pueblo Hotel in Aguas Calientes. It was a great trip. I posted a trip report on this site which you can find by clicking on my screenname. It was published around November or December of 2004. Buen viaje.
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 06:25 AM
Jed

I agree with cmcfong. My wife and I are afraid of heights, but were comfortable on most areas of the ruins. Indeed, you can skip those areas which seem scary to you and still see the important parts. You will be fine.

When you get back, tell us what happened. Thanks
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 09:51 PM

My wife and I have also visited the ruins and there is no concern about heights.

We took the train from Cuzco early in the morning and 2 hous later were at the base town below the ruins. Then we took a bus ride up to the ruins and this was quite comfortable. Once at the ruins, you are free to walk all over and it is quite flat. At the north end there is a steep part, but you can certainly avoid this area. There is a wall separating you from the path that leads down and back up at a steep rate. I never felt at risk.

As for the Inca trail, we hiked about 3 miles south from the ruins on the trail and it also was no more strenuous or steep than hiking along a stream in the woods. As you got to a lookout about a mile into the trail, it went down a lot of steps and that was a bit more challenging, but no more than steps anywere. It was not a lot of drop offs at edges that would put you at a risk.

I also do not like heights, but I never felt the least amount of discomfort in the visit to the ruins.

Later in the day we took the bus back down to the train station, and then the train ride back to Cuzco. A day at the ruins we enough for us to see most of what there is to see. Seven hours is all I can absorb.

I rate this ruin as one of the most intriguing in the world. And we have seen most famous ruins in the world.

We have visited 35 countries and many fantastic ruins. This is the one of the best of all archaelogical sites.

Old Mar 18th, 2006, 05:45 AM

I agree with everyone here. You can see down into the valley below, but you are not standing looking at it as you perch on a cliff.

I did the steep hike that 536547869 mentioned, the climb up Wayna Picchu, in August. That's the sugarloaf mountain you see in the background of the pictures of Machu Picchu. You would never just stumble upon that trail. You go through a gate, sign in, and, just as important, sign out when you exit.

The rest of the ruins are fine.
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 02:18 PM

Hi Chelsea,

We took a bus to go to the ruins from Aguas Caliente. The bus ride was quite scary. The bus driver was quite rash in his driving. But it is a short ride up. But once you reach the ruins, it is breathtaking. You will be fine exploring the ruins. In the afternoon, after the last train leaves AC, there are not many people in the ruins. You will have the whole place to explore. We took the last bus down to AC.
Old Mar 25th, 2006, 11:13 AM

tiara,
What was the elevation in Aguas Caliente? You mentioned taking the bus up to MP.

Because of a heart problem I am looking for a place to stay that would be lower than Cusco. I hiked 12 miles into the Sierras in Calif last year with no problem. Altitude was about 7500ft so I am hoping to find a place that would be about that or just a little more. I have been as high as 10,000ft recently but that did bother me but then I had been at sea level that morning.

All help welcome while I wait for my Peru books to arrive.
Old Mar 25th, 2006, 11:35 AM

Suzie,

Elevation for Cusco - 11,200 ft and Machu Picchu - 8000 ft. I am not very sure about the elevation of AC. It is lower than cusco for sure.

I had taken some medication for altitude sickness. But inspite of that my energy level was quite low and I used to get tired very easily. The coco tea was quite helpful but my husband was quite reluctant to drink the coco tea.

You can stay in AC for the night. Don't miss Cusco. It is a lovely town.

We also took the train from Cusco to Puno to see the floating reed islands. That was really nice. The train ride was long but it was a fun ride with good entertainment.

If you are in Lima, dont miss the Astrid Gaston restaurant. It was one of the best restaurants that I have eaten in. Make sure you have reservations before you go there.

Old Mar 25th, 2006, 12:06 PM

I agree with the others as well, fear of heights will not be an issue when you visit Machu Pichu and unless you do something really silly there's no danger of falling. There are some steep narrow stairs, but that's optional.

For me, the biggest thing was altitude sickness. I never gave it much thought before I left b/c I didn't think I'd have a problem but boy it hit me REALLY hard. First 4 days were brutal for me and the remainder of the time I was better but still had symptoms such as nausea and shortness of breath which lasted the whole time. Just be prepared.
Old Mar 25th, 2006, 12:22 PM

My husband and I were in the Scred Valley and Lake Titicaca in January - the travel clinic we went to recommended we take Diamox to prevent altitude sickness.....perhaps it was the placebo effect but neither of us suffered from it.

Here's a link to Yahoo health info

http://health.yahoo.com/drug/d00161a1
Old Mar 25th, 2006, 02:11 PM

Thanks all. Will check with my cardiologist to see if the medicine will take care of any problems.

Just knowing what you have all been through going up there will be a big help. I am always worried until I know something is a normal reaction even though not everyone experiences them. The worst I have had before is a headache.

I have wanted to take this trip for years so your help is going to get me moving and get me up there. I am taking notes like crazy.

tiara,
I have a feeling I will be drinking my coco tea alone too LOL. Hubby is a hardcore coffee drinker. I will be sure to check that restaurant out if we spend time in Lima.

Elizabeth, I am so enjoying your pictures. Those floating reed islands and the floating gardens are amazing! I now have two thumbs up on them so will have to go. Thank you again for sharing them.
Old Mar 25th, 2006, 06:09 PM

AC is around 7,000 feet altitude. It will seem pretty warm and balmy after you've arrived from Cusco.

Ask your cardiologist if they recommend you drinking coca tea. They might not. "Coca" with an "A," not an "O." You don't want them to think you're talking about hot chocolate.
Old Mar 25th, 2006, 07:10 PM

hi suzie,
i don't know what heart problems you have, but my cousin (who had an angioplasty a few years back) said he couldn't take diamox. his doc suggested big doses (prescription strength) of tylenol for the elevation. it seemed to work for him, as he had no problems... and he started his trip in la paz, bolivia, where it's about 13,000'.

i'm leaving for my trip to peru in a couple of weeks and for acclimatizing, i'm staying in the sacred valley a couple of nights, then to AC for a night before going to MP. after that to cuzco. hopefully we'll be well acclimatized by then. so exciting!
Old Mar 26th, 2006, 06:09 AM

quimbymoy,
I had two angioplasties last year. I am really encouraged now. I think the key for me is to not hit the heights head on but to acclimatize. Doing what you are planning sounds like the perfect plan. Will be talking to my Dr. in two weeks. He didn't think I could hike 12 miles up into the Calif. mountains. I'm not a quiter and am going to live life to the fullest. Such a big world, so little time.

This trip came up just recently when we returned from Guatemala with friends. Although I have wanted to go to Peru for years now it has never surfaced as something we will do soon. They brought it up and now we have taken it off the someday list and put it on the going now list. I have ordered books so maybe I won't have to ask so many silly general questions when I get them. I have really enjoyed Elizabeths blog and the pictures are like out of a National Geographic magazine. Tiara put the icing on the cake and everyone else has reassured me as well as many others that it is well worth doing.

I am so excited for you! It will be here before you know it. Have a wonderful time and please come back and tell us all about it.
Old Mar 26th, 2006, 06:35 AM

Jeff....hmmmm coca with an a. Bummer, sounds interesting. Dr. is from Sri Lanka so I am sure he will be familiar with its properties. Thanks for the heads up. I drink a lot of interesting teas in Costa Rica.
Old Mar 26th, 2006, 07:17 AM

Hi Suzie2 - glad you're enjoying the blog - my husband deserves the credit for it!

I'm just cleaning up the MP pages this weekend as they were a little wonky.....

Are you planning a night on Amantani as well at Lake Titicaca?
Old Mar 26th, 2006, 09:11 AM

Hi Elizabeth,
We are just in the first stages of planning. More a getting to know the land and what other travelers feel is important and what we can skip-if anything. I may be stretching it a little in Cusco with the altitude so I don't think I will try Titicaca. I will tell our traveling companions and husband to go ahead and visit it. I wouldn't want them to miss out. I am sure I will have had plenty of wows by then. Where were those floating reed villages btw? Are they above or below MP? Can't wait for my map and books to arrive so I don't sound so ignorant.

We do want to combine our trip with some time at the clay licks in the Tumbopata Reserve. We are avid Macaw/parrot fans and couldn't imagine being that close to them and not going. We were having trouble deciding whether to see that in Brazil or Peru. Problem solved there....probably both!

It does sound like MP and Tumbopata Reserve are a good pairing of places.

Still trying to decide whether to stay the extra and go ahead and go to the Galapagos or to make that another trip. Hubby spent time in some Indian villages in Ecuador working with his dad to collect birds for the museum years ago and has been nervous about going back. I might be wise to get him there while we will be so close-relatively speaking.

We have decided to wait on the Beagle channel. Initially we thought the boat trip would be fun but after hearing your thoughts on it we have decided to travel down there a little differently. My husband has been there and we have some wonderful friends in Argentina who want to take us there so we will wait and go with them. We went to Iguazu with them a couple of years ago. My husband was heartbroken when he saw how built up that was.