Search

Machu Picchu entry tickets

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12th, 2007, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Machu Picchu entry tickets

Does MP always have entry tickets available each morning? Do they ever sell out? Thanks for your help!!
Old Dec 12th, 2007, 01:51 PM

Yes, I don't think they ever sell out since they cost so much.

When I was there they were $25 and I'm sure they've gone up since then.
Old Dec 12th, 2007, 01:55 PM

If you are going to stay in Aguas Calientes the night before, buy your MP entrance and bus tickets that afternoon or early evening in town to save time the next morning. That way you can get on an early bus (5:30am?)and enjoy before it gets crowded.
Old Dec 12th, 2007, 02:02 PM

The office of the Instituto Nacional de Cultura, just off the main square in Aguas Calientes, sells the tickets and is open from 5 am to 10 pm every day.

If you make arrangments through a tour operator, as most people do, you'll probably have a package that includes entry ticket to the ruins, round-trip train ticket and bus ticket up the mountain and back.

The entry cost is now $40, with rumors that they will go up quite a bit sometime in 2008.
Old Dec 12th, 2007, 02:06 PM

I just returned on Thursday.
Currently it's $38 a day for the entrance, and you must buy them in town of Aguas Calientes-they prefer Soles for this. The office is close to the main square up the beach. There is a bank by the railroad tracks if you need to exchange dollars to Soles. You can buy them the night before, they are open until 10pm.

Then you go to the bus stop for bus tickets, currently $6 one way, $12 roundtrip. They only take US dollars. The bus stop is close to the last bridge, almost where the railroad tracks cross. The bus doesn't check to make sure you have the entrance ticket, so make sure you have it before going up to MP.
Old Dec 14th, 2007, 10:10 AM

I was there in June and our tickets for the 1st day were part of our package. We stayed overnight at the Sanctuary Lodge and they arrived for tickets on day 2.

I know there is a limit as to how many people they allow in each day (sorry, can't remember what that number is). I'd imagine that during the high season (June-Sept) when alot of travellers visit MP, it may be possible to sell out. When is your trip scheduled?
Old Dec 14th, 2007, 03:47 PM

No official limits yet. (I was just there in October and researched this for a project I'm working on.) They are shooting for a future limit of 2,500 visitors per day, but have not decided how they will accomplish that. The director told me that they understand that people come from far away to see MP, and that they can't slam the gate shut when they hit 2,500. He also understands that they need to do something. They just haven't decided what yet.

In any case, if you arrive on the morning train, youŽll be well under that 2,500 number. If you are there two days, and go up the second morning, youŽll fall well under that number too.

Anyway, with the present system, they have no way of knowing if they are "selling out." You buy a ticket, and you have three days to use the ticket. You still get just one day's entrance, but you don't have to use it for three days. And when you buy the ticket, you don't have to specify which day you plan to use it. Just make sure it's in that three-day time period.

Everyone in Aguas Calientes says the ticket price will take a HUGE jump sometime in 2008. The director would not confirm that when I spoke with him, but it wouldn't surprise me. I think that would be shame if they plan to implement limits on visitor numbers by pricing it out of the range for many people.