Search

Luxury Resort in Costa Rica

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10th, 2005, 12:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Luxury Resort in Costa Rica

We're going to stay 6 days/5 nights in Costa Rica at the end of June and are looking for a luxury hotel/resort that is convenient to both an airport and scenic activities in Costa Rica like zip line tours, rafting, etc. We thought of staying at the Four Seasons, but it seems that it might be too remote. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 01:47 PM

You might want to check out http://www.xandari.com/ - it might be just what you are looking for - beautiful! You can arrange day trips quite easily from here and it couldn't be handier to the San Jose airport. You can do a search here too, lots of threads with great info.
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 01:52 PM
Iza

I second Xandari (stayed there a couple of times and really enjoyed it). You may also check out Peace Lodge which is about 1 hour from the airport and gets great reviews on this board.
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 03:39 PM

Definitely go to Peace Lodge and book the deluxe rainforest shower room. It is absolutely beautiful. The resort offers zip line tours, tours to Poas volcano and you can hike the beautiful grounds and see all the waterfalls etc...
Old Mar 11th, 2005, 02:13 PM

Why has no one mentioned the Four Seasons? I acknowledge it is a 40 minute flight fron San Jose to Liberia and then a 30+ minute taxi to FS but we are going soon. Yes, it is pricey but my experience with FS resorts is that it has always been worth it.
I hear the food is very good. Am I correct?
Old Mar 11th, 2005, 03:42 PM

The OP mentioned the FS but worried that it was too remote from activities they want to do, which I agree.
Old Mar 11th, 2005, 06:36 PM

Even though the FS is not the type of place we prefer there are still plenty of things to do up in the Guanacaste area no matter where you stay. I stayed at Los Inocentes and there were lots of people doing day trips there. The horseback riding while looking at the perfect cone of the Orosi Volcano is a lovely way to spend a day. There are hotels with day facilities such as mud baths, hot springs and massages and zip lines around the Volcan Rincon de la Vieja. Deep sea fishing, snorkeling, diving. Santa Rosa Nat'l park, turtles, and yes, what vacations are for...lots of opportunities to relax. Michael mentioned a place near Liberia that was good for a nice float to see wildlife on the Colorado River.

I am not saying to not stay near the SJO airport in places like Xandari, I hear it is a lovely place but just to not count out the FS area while considering your options. I personally, despite what I wrote above, think you would have more opportunities to really visit CR from the Central Valley. Rafting, for one, has more options from the CV whether you go to the Caribbean area of Sarapiqui or the Pacuare/Reventazon area. If you want luxury and rafting nearby, Casa Turire is a lovely place. We stayed there a few years ago and loved it. Not much else to do in that area though other than possibly go birding.

Have you considered the Paradisus Playa Conchal? Again, not the type of place for me so I can't personally recommend it but I have been to the lovely beach there and have heard tons of wonderful things about it. Many of the same options for sight seeing there as at the FS.

Costa Rica Expeditions specializes in upscale vacations. You could look at their web site.
Old Mar 12th, 2005, 06:31 AM

There is no doubt that the Four Seasons is a spectacular hotel. The problem is that there are only so many hours in the day and the time involved to get in and out of the compound limits you to just getting out and exploring. The hotel was designed to keep you there.
Old Mar 18th, 2005, 08:52 AM

Regarding the Xandari hotel - I recently stayed there and wouldn't recommend it. There is nothing outwardly horrible about the hotel but if I were going to re-do the trip I would stay elsewhere. Basically, I didn't think the accomodations were indicative of the $$$. First, the owners' dirty dog roamed the dining area/kitchen during meal times. Other guests were permitted to bring their animals to the table too. Rooms were tired looking - hadn't been updated in many years. Food lacked flavor. On a positive note, the hotel has wonderful trails leading to waterfalls for guests to hike. We really enjoyed these. Also, the hotel's location makes it convenient to the airport as well as many nearby activities. Overall, I would say that this hotel has great potential but is in dire need of a new chef, accomodation updates, and more attention to cleanliness.
Old Mar 18th, 2005, 09:07 AM

AJ605 -- we are booked at Xandari for 1 night and I couldn't decide between Finca Rosa Blanca or Xandari. From your comments sounds like Xandari is a no?
Old Mar 18th, 2005, 09:18 AM

If you want luxury you must consider the Four Seasons. Especially if this is the way you frequently travel. Costa Rica has never been known for amazing hotels. It has always been about the scenery and activities. Now you can have both. There is much to do. Just call the FS concierge and they will give you the whole run down on all the activities you can do. Plus as someone else earlier replied--you do want some relaxation otherwise it isn't a vacation. Also, do not fly into San Jose it's too far. Fly into Liberia. Delta has nonstop flights and other major airlines fly into Liberia as well. It is only a 20 minute drive to the resort.

Also, go to tripadvisor.com and read the postings about FS. It will give you a good idea how wonderful this resort truly is.

Good Luck!
Old Mar 18th, 2005, 09:56 AM

Clove - I don't know anything about Finca Rosa Blanca but I do know that if you are expecting luxury you will not find it at Xandari. Beautiful surroundings but disgusting sheets, dirty pools, adequate service. I think my expecations were much too high. If I were expecting less and paying less I would have had no problem with the place. The rooms are quite boldly decorated (not my style) and nothing felt very clean. I recommend the hotel if you need a hotel close to the airport and don't want to stay in the city. That said, I think you could spend a lot less money and get similar accomodations but I don't know enough to recommend anything.