Search

Los Cabos Car or Not?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25th, 2002, 04:36 PM
PJ

Los Cabos Car or Not?

Hi! We will be in Cabo San Lucas in early Jan and are staying at the Hilton. Is it necessary to rent a car? I will appreciate any advice. Thanks. PJ

Old Aug 25th, 2002, 05:55 PM
Stan

My wife and I just got back from Cabo.<BR>We stayed at the Westin Regina. It is along the corridor like the Hilton. If you want to go into Cabo San Lucas frequently a car is probably a good idea. Taxis can get quite expensive depending on how often you go into town. Hope this helps. Have fun in Cabo. We had a great time. Feel free to email me if you have any other questions about Cabo.

Old Aug 25th, 2002, 06:33 PM
BeWare!

Watch out for timeshare they are everywhere I mean eveywhere. They got em sittin in The Airport Ready to pick u off the moment you get off the plane.<BR>Cabo it all about Sharin da Time.<BR>Do a google search Timeshare Scams Cabo. Read ABC news, latin Trade, usa today. Do a search at top timeshare and read government warnings.

Old Aug 25th, 2002, 07:26 PM
Vicky

Renting a car is expensive - no, I should say the INSURANCE is dreadfully expensive but you can't stay put in one place very long. Stay a day at your hotel and see if you don't feel like "looking around". We go to Cabo S.L. and we always rent. ontact me if you want more info. Have a great time. Vic

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 09:23 AM
nina

Beware, You really need to learn how to say no. You'll find a firm, "NO, don't waste your time, I'm going to ignore you", works wonders wherever salesman approach you in resort areas, be it Cabo, the caribbean or any of the hundred other places people try to sell you something. Seasoned travelers know the routine and can deal with it pretty easily. You just need a bit of practice.

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 02:26 PM
Here are

The gov't warnings:<BR><BR>REAL ESTATE AND TIME-SHARES: U.S. citizens should be aware of the risks inherent in purchasing real estate in Mexico, and should exercise extreme caution before entering into any form of commitment to invest in property there. Investors must recognize the absolute need to obtain authoritative information and to hire competent Mexican legal counsel when contemplating any real estate investment. Mexican laws and practices regarding real estate differ substantially from those in the United States. Foreigners may be granted the right to own real property only under very specific conditions. Whether investing through a trust mechanism in border and coastal areas or by outright purchase in Mexico's interior, U.S. citizens are vulnerable to title challenges that may result in years of litigation and possible eviction. Title insurance is virtually unknown and untested in Mexico. In addition, Mexican law recognizes squatters' rights, so homeowners can spend thousands of dollars in legal fees and years of frustration in trying to remove squatters who occupy their property. American citizens also should exercise caution when considering time-share investments and be aware of the aggressive tactics used by some time-share sales representatives. Buyers should be fully informed and take sufficient time to consider their decisions before signing time-share contracts, ideally after consulting an independent attorney. They should resist pressure to sign a contract the very day that they see the model unit. Mexican law allows time-share purchasers five days to cancel the contract for unconditional and full reimbursement. U.S. citizens should never sign a contract that includes clauses penalizing the buyer who cancels within five days. <BR><BR>Canaidan Government Travel Warnings RE: TIMESHARE AND REAL ESTATE http://www.voyage.gc.ca/destinations/menu_e.htm <BR><BR>Reports of problems with time-share arrangements (including the cancellation of contracts) have increased. Exercise caution whenever approached by persistent time-share representatives, since they may use pressure sales techniques. Review the contract to ensure that promises made are confirmed in writing. Anything not included in the contract may not be honoured. Do not reveal personal information nor show your passport or plane ticket. Only provide your credit card if you are certain you wish to make the purchase. Mexican law stipulates that consumers are legally entitled to cancel a time-share contract without penalty. The cancellation must be done within five working days from the day following the original date of purchase. Cancellations of contracts must be done in writing and must be presented directly to the time-share company. Keep copies of any correspondence. If you experience any difficulties in with the time-share company, you should immediately contact the Mexican consumer protection agency, Procuradur&iacute;a Federal del Consumidor (PROFECO). Further information on PROFECO, including service locations throughout Mexico, can be found on their Web site (www.profeco.gob.mx). LOOK WHAT HAPPENED TO THESE PEOPLE!!!!! http://www.solcaribeowners.com/index.htm <BR><BR>ABC NEWS 20/20 by Arnold DIAZ eware of the Heat Merchants: THE CLAIMS AND THE REALTIES: As an investment timeshare is as bad as it gets, difficult to resell and at a fraction of what you paid for it, difficult to rent out: http://abcnews.go.com/sections/busin...iaz010727.html <BR><BR>Sales Pitchfalls, Pitching Heat, SHOW Them the BEST Sell Them The REST http://abcnews.go.com/sections/busin...iaz010810.html <BR><BR><BR><BR><BR>

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 06:20 AM
chickenlittle

I suppose all these hysterical warnings would be of some interest to those gullible enough to fall for the timeshare pitches. <BR><BR>Fortunately, those of us with a backbone have no use for them since we won't be bothered with or by them. I've been to Cabo 3 times and not once has anyone of these people bothered me. Stay at a nice hotel that doesn't tolerate salespeople and if you are approached in town let them know you mean business when you tell them to get lost.

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 11:04 AM
Stan

You hit the nail on the head "chickenlittle". Go to Cabo and enjoy!

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 11:17 AM
Be Aware

Go To cabo and enjoy but be aware use the search engine at the top and search cabo police and see what comes up.<BR><BR>Enjoy what? Your inability to deal with<BR>with your strong armed police, get the hookers, pimps and dealers off the street,move your girlie bars {p.s the local paper did a piece both on police corruption, the local entreprenuers wanting to move the girlie bars}<BR><BR>If you value your tourist and tourism why don't you deal with those who dump raw sewage into the very ocean your tourist swim in. Boot the Timeshare off the street out of the tourist face and out of your airport. Clean up the teenage hooker drug dealer trade. If you value your tourism.<BR><BR><BR>Let the Timeshare be restricted to the hotels they are trying to push<BR>then wait and see how fast that hotel empties out of paying guests.<BR><BR>Then there is all the corruption and real estate scams in what appears to be an industry out of control by some reports. Mind you the scams are not limited to some realtors who run off with customers money but government officials as well.<BR><BR>Yes go to Cabo and enjoy but be aware of what awaits.<BR><BR>P.s. do a google search and put in timeshare scams cabo, read abcnews, usa today, latin trade. <BR><BR><BR><BR>

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 01:13 PM
chickenlittle

Sounds like Beware has an axe to grind. What's the matter Beware, did you get sucked into buying a timeshare? Sounds like sour grapes to me.

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 05:41 PM
I am Aware

Sounds like Chicken little you be a SHILL or your a Chicken that likes to get plucked on a yearly basis.<BR><BR>So far no one. Not one person has come up with the Cost to Vacation in this place. Like how much for 2 entres and 2 Beer at the Mi Casa. <BR>Let me guess enought to buy 2 entres at Cafe Ole in Peurta Vallart and 2 more entres At Cafe Brazil and still have enought left over for the 2 beer. <BR><BR>I like Value for my Money. I am a chicken who does not go to Cabo for I do not like being plucked. I like to come home relaxed and rested not driven crazed by the Timesharin and Beach Vendorin. <BR><BR>I do not want to worry about my teenager in Jail for drugs cuz he was persuaded by some dealer to buy some. It costs a fortune in legal fees, and consular help to deal with those type of problems. The system is known for that.<BR><BR>

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 06:07 PM
JHS

Went to Cabo in the spring w/ my wife and another couple. It was one of the worst vacations I've ever had. We stayed at the Fiesta Americana and got ripped off every time we turned around. The dining in town was ridiculously overpriced, the cabs were also overpriced, the city was filthy and overrun w/ beggars and panderers. Not fun... not recommended.

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 07:58 PM
anon

Yes this board is about getting real.<BR>It cost a fair amount of money to take a vacation for most people it is a luxury worked hard for and penny pinched for. We have a right to know what the current prices are and the current situation. I have made mistakes in the past where I have bought a special only to get there and find out why they were blowing it off. <BR><BR>These people down in these resorts have one concern to keep their business going.<BR>My concern is that I get good value for my dollar and quality as well. I do not work all year to support some defunct Cabo Business. When I take a vacation I want a guarantee I will get good value for my dollar therefore Cabo is off my list.

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 05:20 AM
Stan

This is hilarious! Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the intention of owning a business was to "keep it going"? Do you expect a vacation to be free? And lets blame the drug dealers for persuading your teenage kid to do drugs. How ridiculous! Maybe a look in the mirror would suffice. Parental supervision and guidance go a long way. Its funny how all of the doomsayers don't post their email address. Hmmm. If you want a nice, clean, crime free, sterile vacation I have just the place. Disney World! Cabo was a blast! If you are going to Cabo don't let these Nitwits scare you off. Use common sense as you would in any foreign city. As for being ripped off everytime you turn around? In what way? Sounds to me like you got suckered into a timeshare.<BR>

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 06:08 AM
chickenlittle

I AM Aware, You may be aware, but you are also illiterate. Perhaps you don't possess the faculties to travel to different cultures, as one can only assume by your lack of writing skills.<BR><BR>Some of us are quite adept at handling ourselves in foreign countries and diverse cultures. I'll remind you again, we had no problems in Cabo, neither do our friends who love Cabo. We stay at great resorts, have a great time fishing and riding ATV's and enjoy the scenary. Most resort destinations are not cheap. It goes with the territory. <BR><BR>It may be best for you to stay home in a less threatening and scary environment, but quit with the hysterics.

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 10:37 AM
Fodors Policy

Dear Chicken Little and Stan Fodors has a policy on how posters respond to each other. If you enjoy in outright attacks and slandering other posters maybe another board would be best suited for you.<BR><BR>Here on Fodors the Policy here is to look out for each other not to attack other posters.<BR>I am sorry you are both having difficulty with differences of opinion. It is your difficulty you need not attack the poster who does not agree with your opinion.<BR>This is a Web Site that allows for people to speak their mind.<BR>Personally I would not recommend Cabo. I have had friends who have liked and many who would never return.<BR>I also have places I enjoy and have recommended that my friends do not like.<BR>I do not attack, label, judge, find fault with, name call because of this.<BR>I am adult enough to allow others to have their point of view.<BR>This is and adult web site.<BR>As I said another Board may be more appropriate for you. It is embarrassing when the editors delete your posts.

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 11:17 AM
chickenlittle

Not as embarassing as making oneself out to be a whiney pansy. Now THAT was embarassing.

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 11:18 AM
Be Aware

Fodorites get a load of this<BR><BR>Quote Chickenome of us are quite adept at handling ourselves in foreign countries and diverse cultures. I'll remind you again, we had no problems in Cabo, neither do our friends who love Cabo. We stay at great resorts, have a great time fishing and riding ATV's and enjoy the scenary. "<BR><BR>So using this reasoning of Chickens if I choose Cabo then I am adept at handling culture when I get sh#t faced in A cheap bar, ride and atv and fish and enjoy scenery.<BR><BR>Does this include buying drugs, pickingup teenage hookers, going to Strip Shows? <BR>Just Curious Chicken

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 11:20 AM
chickenlittle

And another thing student, if you were indeed a good student you would have noticed that it was IAmAware who initiated the name calling ("you be a SHILL")and attacks. Get your facts straight or you're going to flunk research.

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 11:22 AM
Be Aware

Fodorites get a load of this:<BR>Quote Stan<BR>"Hmmm. If you want a nice, clean, crime free, sterile vacation I have just the place. Disney World! Cabo was a blast! If you are going to Cabo '<BR><BR>So Stan do I assume then you enjoy vacationing in Dirty Places?<BR>What is a blast?<BR>Teenage Hookers, drugs,drunks are these a blast. The cultural experience of riding an ATV?<BR>Just Curious.<BR>Ju<BR>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -