Looking for Tango in Buenos Aires

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 10:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have never danced Tango, but I love to watch. I have read many things about Tango in Buenos Aires and would like to try something while there. I am open for suggestions.
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 10:29 AM

I can help you with that. There is lots of different kinds of Tango lessons in Buenos Aires. Some are even included in your hotel. I took a Tango Tour that gave me a private Tango lesson that I found to be very helpful. Prior to that, I went to one I found in Buenos Aires and did not understand a word. And everyone took it so serious. I was just there to learn a step or 2. There seems to be alot of choices there. And it is hard to find the right place for you. Sometimes shoe shops have lessons. Hope that helps.

Izic
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 10:31 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Izic. I think you confused me more. You mentioned you took a Tango Tour. Was it good? You got a Tango lesson with it? And can you recommend a good Buenos Aires restaurant?

Thanks again
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 10:36 AM

Sorry to confuse you. Finding the right Tango lesson, and one in English, for a decent price is tricky. You have to keep an open mind about it.

The Tango tour I took was great. Sometimes when I entertain clients, I send them on this tour because it gets a lot done in one day. You really get to see the city, and get a feel for it. And it's a ton of fun. Plus, the lessons are great. Tell them your level and they will include something suited for you.

http://www.tango-history-tours.com/B...ngo-Tours.html

As for restaurants in Buenos Aires, I see that you posted something about that early. I will go there and reply. There are a ton of great ones.
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 10:46 AM
Original Poster

Hey Izic. Thanks for the restaurant guides. Looks comprehensive. And thanks for the tango tour recommendation also.

Is there anything else I might want to do or see while in Buenos Aires that you can advise me on?
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 10:54 AM

Well, there is a lot to do in a city that size. Should keep you plenty busy. I go there quite a bit and still feel I have not made a dent in it.

The Colon theater is a big attraction there. They have tours in English for about 10 pesos a couple of times a day.

The nightlife is great. You may want to go to a milonga. This is a huge Tango dance, sometimes with a nice orchestra. They are late at night. The guys from the Tango Tour can help you out more with that.

I would also advise the Recoleta Cemetery. IT's pretty amazing. So much history and interesting stories. Plus Evita is buried there. Some people love her, while others hate her, but her corpse has been stolen several times. It's a beautiful unique cemetery. Worth the visit.

I found a great way to see it. It's only 20 pesos and it's a walking tour through the area of Recoleta and the cemetery. The van tours in Buenos Aires can be far too crowded and low quaility for my taste.

http://buenostours.com/Recoleta-Cemetery-Tour.html

Anything else?

Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 10:57 AM
Original Poster

Dear Izic, you certainly are full of information. Thanks a lot for all your help. The milonga sounds fun. Cemetery too. I will let you know how it all turned out.

Regards,
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 08:02 AM

We visited Buenos Aires for the first time last November and absolutely loved it. I have a long file on our trip. If you would like it, please e-mail me.
Old Apr 6th, 2006, 01:31 AM

We went to the Milonga at Confeteria Ideal on Thursday afternoon. What a treat to watch the dancing for a couple of hours for about 10 pesos. It's everyday people of various ages who arrive separately and join for tango sets, then sit separately again.