Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Looking for decent hotel in SJose by airport.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28th, 2004, 06:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My fiance are looking for a decent, relatively inexpensive hotel in San Jose--preferably by the airport (but we are flexible), for one night, prior to the start of our tour.
Thanks!
Julie
Old Mar 28th, 2004, 07:20 PM

Check out Vida Tropical.
Old Mar 29th, 2004, 03:32 AM

we just stayed at Hotel Bougainvillea - a wonderful place about 20 minutes from the airport in Heredia. It's $77/night for 2, plus tax. Although it doeesn't include breakfast, the breakfast buffet was only $5.00. The hotel has an enormous and beautiful garden in the back (swimming pool and hidden tennis courts as well). Rooms on one side look out over the garden; the other side has a beautiful view of San Jose and the mountains on the other side. People working there were very friendly and helpful. We thought it provided a perfect start and end to our trip. Taxi to/from the airport was $14.00.
Old Mar 29th, 2004, 09:05 AM

I don't know what you mean by 'relatively inexpensive' but you should consider Oquideas Inn and Alajuela. Only 10 minutes from the airport. Rooms are $65-$85 depending on season and whether you want a standard or deluxe room. They also have lovely gardens and views and the price includes a huge full breakfast.
Old Mar 29th, 2004, 03:47 PM

We stayed at the Marriott Courtyard Hotel . They provide free transportation to and from the airport and free breakfast. The ride to the airport was about 15 minutes, no more. We had wanted to stay at the Orquideas, but our travel agent said it was considerably farther from the airport. We stopped at that Inn for lunch on the way out of town, and it was very hard to find, and seemed quite remote, although very pretty. We were glad we chose the other one. Since we got in to the Marriott very late at night and had to get up very early the next morning , a tropical ambiance was unimportant.
Old Mar 30th, 2004, 07:54 AM

Oh Plum Creek....seems your travel 'agent' didn't tell the truth about the location of the Orquideas...since it's only 10 minutes....15 TOPS in heavy traffic to the airport, it can't be considerably father than the Marriott! It does seem 'a little remote' but that is what some people want...not a big city or big hotel feel. It IS hard to find for some. My husband can drive straight to it every time, but not me! Even though I've stayed there 5 or 6 times, I think I might still get lost, so I'm having them pick me up at the airport when I arrive and then having a car delivered there to me the next morning, as it's easy to find the highway when leaving.
Old Apr 4th, 2004, 03:28 PM

Orquideas Inn gets my vote (detailed response on another thread)but I have not been to the others. They pick you up at the airport for $10 and their breakfast is included and it is really good.
Old Apr 4th, 2004, 04:00 PM

We just returned from a ten day trip to CR. Through Expedia we found a $75 per night rate at the Melia Cariari. They have a shuttle that picks up at the airport and if your're driving, you don't have to go into the San Jose madness because its only 10 minutes from the rental agencies.

We had a very spacious and well appointed room which had cross ventilation so we didn't need the air conditioner blasting all night. The bathrooms were the best we found in CR.

The Tejas restaurant was excellent for dinner and reasonable in price.

We had a long day of traveling and I just wanted a nice hotel with no hassles and the Melia Cariari fit the bill nicely. We booked on the internet so we didn't have to email or phone anyone.

We wished that we had had more time there because the hotel is a resort with several swimming pools (one olympic size), tennis courts, golf, and gym.

We also stayed there on our last night. Highly recommended.
Old Apr 8th, 2004, 04:02 PM
LAG

For a quaint stay, check out on GOOGLE, >> los volcanas, alajuela << Small, clean, excellent breakfast, 10 minutes from airport and one block from central park, etc.
Old Apr 8th, 2004, 05:48 PM

Stayed last week at Hotel Brilla Sol. $50 tax in. included airport pickup and breakfast. Driver was waiting for us at the airport, breakfast was good lots of fruit. Small tico family run hotel they were very nice and helpful. They also let you reserve with no deposit or credit card info.www.hotelbrillasol.com