Search

Looking for day-trip recs around Central Valley, CR

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16th, 2007, 09:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for day-trip recs around Central Valley, CR

Hi everyone,

My December trip is finally starting to peek around the corner, and I'm beginning to mull over the itinerary specifics.

Our travel party will consist of me and my brother (both 40-ish) and our 68 year old mother. Last year, the 3 of us visited the Peace Lodge/La Paz, Arenal, and MA. Loved every minute of it!

This year, we will spend our first 3 nights at the Orquideas Inn in Alajuela, before heading down to BdC for 4 nights. We will have a car for the Central Valley days.

I think we've decided to do Poas/La Paz for one of the CV days (La Paz will be the only repeat visit for this particular trip). For our other full day, I'm thinking about Grecia, Sarchi and Zarcero although I welcome other suggestions as well...

So here is my barrage of questions:

1. How close is Zoo Ave to Orquideas? I thought we might head over there that first afternoon (depending on how quickly we can get out of the airport...).

2. Aren't there some waterfalls in the
vicinity of Grecia? Los Chorros Cataratas?? Would these be easily accessible on the way to/from Grecia, or are they a substantial side trip?

3. Could a visit to Los Angeles Cloud Forest fit within the Grecia-Sarchi-Zarcero day's activities? Or maybe Bosque de Paz?? My mom wouldn't be up for any strenuous, steep hiking, but easier trails with nice vistas she would definitely enjoy.

Basically, I don't have any good feel for distances and travel times for the Grecia-Sarchi day. Help me figure out what we can realistically pack into the day without killing ourselves!

As stated above, alternate suggesions for that 2nd full day are welcome. Just needs to be reasonable for a day trip out of Alajeula.

Sorry for such a lengthy post! Many thanks for wading through it, and for any advice or suggestions!!
Old Sep 16th, 2007, 05:54 PM

cam, I can help with just a couple of things. . .

Zoo Ave is very easy to get to from Las Orquideas. I'd go to Orquideas first, though, and get checked in. Let them give you directions, but you won't have ANY trouble finding it. It would certainly be a good choice for a short period of time--1.5 hour max.

As far as your Grecia/Sarchi/Zarcero day, I think I'd just keep it at that, simply so you don't have to rush through the three and be trying to work something else in as well. Keep it leisurely and relaxing so you can really enjoy each place (and each is quite unique). Zarcero I LOVE! Many don't like Sarchi, but to me, it's certainly worth a visit. And Grecia is so neat and clean.

Sounds like you are putting the finishing touches on your Dec. trip---hey, it's not that far off! Enjoy your planning. . .
Old Sep 16th, 2007, 06:35 PM
Original Poster

Hi Jill,

Thanks so much for weighing in! Even as I typed the initial post, I figured it was probably a bit zany to consider cramming an additional cloud forest visit into the mix! It's that old gut response of wanting to do as much as possible. That said, I'm not trying to beat us into a pulp! Thanks for being a voice of reason! ;-)

Our flight is scheduled to arrive at SJO at 1:15, so depending on how long it takes to get through customs, pick up the car, and check into Orquideas, we may or may not be up for Zoo Ave, but I'll keep it on the back burner just in case. I think we would all enjoy the visit if we go.

Now that I'm officially under the 3 month countdown, I finally feel that the trip is more 'tangible' and I can start firming up the fine details. I have a large, challenging (read stressful) project starting up at work next week so CR is my light at the end of the tunnel! I'm so looking forward to it!
Old Sep 17th, 2007, 06:01 PM

I understand the stress part. One day at a time! Or one hour at a time--often my motto! This planning is a good destressor at the end of the day. What time are you departing SJO? Both times we've been there, we've visited Zoo Ave at the tailend--good way to fill up a couple of hours either way. Take care. . .
Old Sep 18th, 2007, 10:44 AM

Zoo Ave is good, yeah, a couple hours at most. Grecia is a cute little town with a nice church & square. You have to visit the market there, about a block or so away from the church. Talk to Luis at Wady Tours (at Orquideas) he could tell you all about it, he's taken me there a few times, he got the married at the church btw. Maybe you could head out to Irazu one day? Doesn't get as much mention as Poas but looks very lovely. You check out all the tours offered by Wady at their site ( http://www.emotionguaranteed.com/) maybe that will give you some ideas?

and ps - thanks again!
Old Sep 18th, 2007, 06:14 PM
Original Poster

Hi shillmac and tully,

Our departing flight leaves SJO at 2:15 p.m., Jill. We won't have a rental car that day (having just returned from BdC the previous afternoon) so Zoo Ave would probably have to happen on day 1 (if at all). There's also something to be said for just vegging poolside at the hotel on that arrival day. We will have had one of those lovely 4:00 a.m. wake-up calls in order to make our early flight out of Orlando. LOVE getting to a destination with daylight to spare. HATE getting up at the crack of dawn to make that ever-so-slightly catatonic drive to the airport!

Irazu is an interesting suggestion, tully. I had toyed with the idea of the Orosi Valley, but worried that circumnavigating San Jose would take up too much time for a day trip (of course, this is the same person who was considering Grecia, Sarchi, Zarcero, Los Angeles Cloud Forest and Los Chorros Waterfalls all in a single day, so what's a little drive around/through San Jose! )

Thanks for the Wady Tours link. That helps to give me some idea of what types of activities might be combined within the course of a day trip. And you're quite welcome! ;-)

Jill, what are your thoughts on Irazu and maybe Lankester Gardens? Too big a pain traversing San Jose down and back (keeping in mind that we will very likely get lost a time or two!)??

Old Sep 19th, 2007, 09:19 AM

How about you do it with Wady Tours, Luis? His knowledge and skill getting through SJO might make for a more pleasant outing. Yes, Irazu and Lankester Gardens (and Orosi Valley) worth it. Beautiful part of the country.

You CAN do it alone, though. Just start early to beat rush hour traffic into SJO (like around 6:00!). Have your breakfast on the other side of town. Get yourselves a good map and good oral directions and you'll do fine. You might get lost, but it won't be in the category of "hopelessly" lost! It's pretty easy to get on the main drag (Avenida Central) through SJO. Once there, getting out the other side isn't much of a big deal. Signs to Cartago are plentiful.

You know, that having gotten up at 4:00 a.m. the morning of your flight to CR, you are going to prefer lounging by the pool and in the bar upon arrival. Save Zoo Ave for another time!!! Catch your breath at the beginning so you can start out a little fresher on Day 2.
Old Sep 19th, 2007, 04:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again for the good info and suggestions Jill and Tully!

I've now got two very good options to mull over for that extra Central Valley day.

We will consider booking with Luis at Wady if we decide to go with the Orosi/Irazu option. I'm sure we could muddle our own way through San Jose just fine, but it would be nice to just sit back and enjoy the ride!

You are probably absolutely right about our energy level (or lack thereof) on arrival day, Jill. We will keep Zoo Ave on the backup list just in case, but won't sweat it if we decide to forego this time around.

Muchas gracias, chicas!

Old Sep 19th, 2007, 05:54 PM

con mucho gusto!
Old Sep 19th, 2007, 06:11 PM

Even if you don't go with Luis, ask him to tell you the name or general area of the coffee place in grecia market (if you go there). Packed right in front of us, it was something like $2 a bag and it was the best. I think actually Luis will be becoming a father right around the time you are there, maybe November.

Hey you could always go to World of Snakes or whatever it's called. Seems like I've seen that sign dozens of times but have never heard of anyone going there.
Old Sep 20th, 2007, 07:02 PM

Me either, Tully! One of us MUST make time to stop there one of these days! We just keep driving by!

Old Sep 20th, 2007, 07:20 PM
Original Poster

I keep seeing the World of Snakes references pop up on various websites I've perused recently, while looking for suggestions of things to do along that Grecia-Sarchi route!

Here's the link to their website:

http://www.theworldofsnakes.com/?fus...;page=dsp_home

Maybe that can go on the optional 'to do' list in case we breeze through the towns more quickly than anticipated. It probably would actually be pretty interesting.