Search

Long trip report

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8th, 2009, 07:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Long trip report

We just returned from a week in Costa Rica,(May 24-30) mostly Manuel Antonio.

After an uneventful flight from DFW we got through immigration and customs in SJO in about 10 minutes. OK so it was 15 minutes. The ATM machine just before you reach customs gave me c50,000 for $87.49. A short taxi ride (c2000) and were checking in at Hotel Villa Bonita.

The room was just as shown in the pictures on the Villa Bonita site, very plain with a bit of need of repair. Breakfast at 7am the next morning made up for any shortfall in the room. Great fruit, eggs, gallo pinto and wonderful coffee. We had a bit of time before Tricolor was to deliver the car so we walked the neighborhood which was very quiet on a Sunday morning. There is a new strip center just around the corner from the hotel which has a very nice AM/PM convenience store including a bakery.

Tricolor was on time picking up up to go get a car and we checkout of Hotel Villa Bonita paying $57.85 for the night including breakfast. ( My credit card charged me 3% on some out of the country transactions but only about half of them)

Tricolor gave us an upgrade from the sedan I requested to a Daihatsu Terios. I wanted the sedan for the trunk space but the Terios worked out just fine. They gave me the exact rate the quoted, $222.00 for the week

We headed for Manuel Antonio and I must say the roads were quite good. Yes, the road through the mountains is narrow but in good condition. Near Jaco there is a stretch of rough road but one can find poor surfaces anywhere.

We stopped at La Casita del Café a mirador about an hour from Alajuela. Great view and iced coffee. Good first stop.

Out next stop was to see the crocodiles at the Tarcoles bridge. They were as advertised.

After stopping at Maxi Bodega in Jaco for some supplies wine, coffee etc we made it to Tulemar in about four hours.

Check in as a bit of a disappointment. The security man on the gate had no idea we were coming. The front desk was almost as clueless. The Villa Mot Mot manager was not to be found. We did get some help and got to the Villa to find it was not ready for occupancy as the previous people had checked out late. Finally they found the maid and she cleaned (really cleaned) and we were “home”. I had gotten some beer ($3 each) from room service which did help my mood. The Villa is just as shown on the web site but what do you don’t know is the hike up and down the hill from the parking lot or the restaurant is rather difficult.

We went for an early dinner at Salaipudes. $52.37 for four tapas and wine.

Up early the next morn for breakfast at Tule café. The breakfast in included the room rate and that makes it just OK.

We drove to Villa Vanilla for the tour. The road from Quepos to the farm is bad. Only 11 kilometers but slow going. We were a bit late for the tour but it was ok. This tour is informative and somewhat interesting but a bit over priced. The spices on sale are a pretty good value. Vanilla beans from $1, depending on size. The snacks are good and refreshing.

For dinner headed to Agua Azul but did not want to wait for an hour so went to Barba Roja. We both that the fish in banana leaf and two glasses of wine each $55.79.

Tuesday it was park day. Met Juan Brenes at 8:30 and off we went. There were three couples with Juan that morning which make it easy to enjoy the hike. He is very good, as many have said. We saw all the usual things. I must say that three hours in the park in the heat is enough. We had lunch just outside the park, upstairs at El Atardece, a family owned soda. We enjoyed the casado, one fish, one chicken, with beans, rice, salad and plantain. Add a Coke and a water and it was about $11.

An afternoon of rest then dinner at Aqua Azul. We shared a Tuna Margarita and some calamari and some wine. There was a bit of a mix up on our dessert (bread pudding) so they comped the last glass of wine and the dessert. Total bill $42.50. Great place.

Wednesday was beach day. The beach at Tulemar is a very nice private beach, No vendors. They have a bar and food. For those that do not have a car there is transportation up an down the hill. We enjoyed having the car so we could come and go as we wished. The afternoon shower turned into a big rain storm. We waited and finally dined at Kapi Kapi. One order of seared tuna, one macadamia coated mahi mahi and some wine. $57.We were disappointed Food was only fair, service cold. We were going back to Aqua Azul for dessert but they are closed on Wednesday.

Thursday we enjoyed lunch at Soda Angel. Two large plates of food for $9.
Juan Brenes picked us up at 2:30p for the mangrove tour. We were with one other couple, Juan and the boat Captain on the tour. We saw lots of monkeys (Juan does NOT feed the wild animals), several snakes, birds, colorful crabs and great scenery.
Juan bought dinner in Quepos at his favorite soda. I don’t remember the name.
My plate had fish, plantain cakes, yucca, fried plantain, broiled mixed vegetables, beans and rice. All really good.

Friday morning we were going to breakfast at Soda Angel but they do not open ‘til 9AM.
We went to Café Milagro. The coffee was very good. (c700) the omelette huge (c3,300) and my French toast tasty (c2,700) and the bacon quite good (c1,400). All told a bit pricy for breakfast. We relaxed at the beach and then returned to Aqua Azul for dinner. Calamari, a mahi mahi sandwich a bottle of wine and bread pudding. $59.10.

We made several trips to the Super Joseph. They have a very nice selection of wines and liquors at reasonable prices. Lots of snack items and other drinks. The exchange rate was c554.

Saturday morning we checked out of Tulemar and were on the road about 9am. A nice drive back to SJO. We did get stopped by the police just before the OMG bridge. One officer asked for my passport. I gave him by car rental papers including a color copy of my passport and Texas drivers license. He went to another officer where there was some sort of list they checked and then brought back the papers. I took his picture. We both smiled and he waved us on.

I got a bit lost in Alajuela. The directions I got at a service station could have not been more wrong. Who would think there was a street named Villa Bonita?

Departure was easy. Very short line at the exit stamp counter where I was able to use my remaining colones as part of the payment. Flight was on time and uneventful back to DFW.

I would be happy to answer any questions
Old Jun 8th, 2009, 09:36 AM

I'm curious about the hike to the Villa; I've heard other people mention that it's difficult. Is it just steep? Is it paved or steps?

Did you have fun?
Old Jun 8th, 2009, 09:46 AM
Original Poster

It is concrete. Part are steps, part just slanted. I think there are seven sections, each about 10 to 15 yards long and all are uphill (down hill if you are going to the Villa). That gets you to the road. The parking lot is 10 yards more and the restaurant is up hill another 30 yards on the road.
Not a place for being out of shape
Old Jun 8th, 2009, 11:37 AM

Thanks for the trip report daleb -- Sounds like you had a nice time. I too, love the breakfasts at Hotel Villa Bonita! Sounds like you were able to get a good balance of relaxing and trying many different restaurants.

vgirl -- I will chime in here and say that I didn't think the walk was bad from Villa Mot-Mot to two of the pools or restaurant (or DOWNHILL to the beach). Probably because our room at BVV was further away, so by the time we got to Mot-Mot it felt like a great spot! However, walking all the way up the hill to the street, or up from the beach, is long and steep and can be especially tough with the heat. They do have shuttles though, that pick you up at the beach and all around the properties at little parking stations (like a taxi pick-up).
Old Jun 9th, 2009, 04:31 AM

Thanks, hip - that sounds a lot like the Lost Iguana. We always do the golf cart the first day because there's no way we would want to lug our luggage up that steep hill.
Old Jun 9th, 2009, 06:50 AM

We were with our granddaughter at MotMot last summer. Doing it again in July. I remember the walk up to the restaurant/pool area, remember it was uphill and I carried her. That said, I don't remember it being difficult necessarily. Just uphill--didn't seem like a long distance. We never attempted walking up from the beach. We had a car and drove down there every day.

Nice report, daleb85. Sounds like a great trip, lots of highlights. Honestly, I don't think there is a street named Villa Bonita in Alajuela; bet it was just a misunderstanding of some sort. As far as I know, the streets are only named Calles and Avenidas with numbers all through the country. At least that has always been my impression during our driving here and there.

Agree with your assessment of HVB. The rooms could be updated a bit, but the ambience and breakfasts certainly do make up for that as you stated, and the value is good.

Welcome back!