Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Lodging Decision in Arenal Area - Which?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16th, 2008, 07:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have read many a review as of late and I found the following lodging in the Arenal within those recommendations. What I would like to know is which one is the best choice from the following ones below. I like the Arenal Nayara Hotel and Gardens so far and plan to be in the area in Feb or Mar 2009 for about 3 days. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Arenal Nayara Hotel and Gardens
Arenal Springs Resort
Arenal Observatory Lodge
Hotel Silencio del Campo
Arenal lodge
Arenal Manoa
Lost Iguana
Tabacon resort
Kioro
Old Apr 16th, 2008, 07:11 PM

Hi braz,

The <i>best</i> choice for you depends on your preferences and criteria (budget, amenities, location in relation to town, lava view, etc...).

Several of your listed choices are popular here on the forum, but you've got quite a price range represented. If you can provide a bit more information about what you want from a hotel, folks here can offer better advice.

Old Apr 16th, 2008, 08:44 PM

I just got back from CR myself, and I stayed at Lost Iguana, and loved it. The place is beautiful, and heaven for birdwatchers. However, it depends on what you are looking for. Anyone with mobility issues would have a problem, it is not very friendly for disabled access, though they do have golf carts which the employees use to shuttle around those guests who don't like walking up/down the steep hills. Our room had A/C, but the thermostat didn't work right, it was either 100% on or completely off, not sure if that is true of all the rooms. The setting was awesome, and we did see the glowing lava at night during breaks in the clouds.
Old Apr 16th, 2008, 09:17 PM
Original Poster

cmerrell

I am not opposed to spending $300 a night but since my trip already has 2 nights at paradise lodge on way out of CR and about 3-4 nights in the OSA area so I want to look at possible savings some here. We plan to be on a lot of hikes, tours, etc during the day so its a place to crash but we do like middle of the road accommodations which means clean, friendly and convenient. I am not sure if we will have a car or not since my goal was to fly back from OSA to the area but I am leaning to picking some up so I can drive back to the SJO for my flight home. Hope this helps. I think seeing the lava flow at night would be cool.
Old Apr 16th, 2008, 09:42 PM
Original Poster

I looked at some of these again and might stay away from Tabacon Resort and Kioro because of price.

I couldn't really nail down a price for Arenal Nayara Hotel and Gardens for 2 adults from their website. It looks like a great choice depending on price, etc.

I am also leaning towards Arenal Observatory Lodge and the Hotel Arenal Springs Resort
while I know the Lost Iguana also gets a lot of positive press here.

Still open to your thoughts.

Old Apr 17th, 2008, 03:31 AM

We love the Lost Iguana. It's a beautiful property set a little outside town. The rooms are nice with a refrigerator, good-sized bathroom, balconies with wonderful volcano views and jacuzzis, nice rocking chairs, small pool on site, trails, right next to the Hanging Bridges, and free breakfast included. It's a great spot.
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 04:29 AM

I stayed at the Observatory Lodge in August and loved it. The Smithsonian rooms have amazing views of the volcano from the balconies. They have lovely grounds, and we saw howler monkeys and lots of birds right outside our room. The restaurant is also quite nice and has an unbeatable location! One night at dinner, we watched a double rainbow over the volcano during a brilliant sunset over the Lake Arenal. As the sun got lower and the sky darkened, we could see the glowing lava rocks tumbling down the mountain. All from our dinner table! I can't imagine a more beautiful setting.

Though I didn't get a close look at them when I was there, I did notice that most of the other hotels in the area are on a stretch of main road leading out of La Fortuna. They really didn't seem to provide the wonderful isolated feeling that you get from the Observatory Lodge. It might not suit you if you're looking for a luxury resort, but if your visit is all about the volcano, I'd say the Observatory Lodge is a great option.
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 07:35 AM

My thoughts for what it's worth...

Before we went to CR, a close friend of mine who had been there numerous times kept telling me &quot;trust me, you HAVE TO stay at the Observatory Lodge...&quot; Well, AOL was already booked so we stayed at the Lost Iguana. We loved the hotel and really enjoyed our stay but now that I've been there, I understand what my friend was trying to tell me.

If you have an opportunity to stay at AOL and it's your first time in Arenal, that's where I would recommend you stay.
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 08:21 AM

braz, I forgot to mention that the Lost Iguana had a free shuttle that went into town during certain times of the day, not sure if they still offer it, but if you stay there, be sure to ask.
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 12:16 PM

Hi braz,

Looks like you've gotten several suggestions from the good people here!

Lost Iguana seems to get a preponderance of positive reviews and would definitely save you money over places like Tabacon or Kioro. AOL, Arenal Lodge and Silencio would be even a bit cheaper and still give you a perfectly nice place to stay. I'm not familiar with the others on your list...

Lost Iguana, Arenal Lodge and AOL are definitely a little bit of a trek into town. You can get by without a car, but it's a nice place to have one. Driving in the Arenal area is easy and straightforward. The roads are generally in good shape (the road to AOL is basically a bumpy, rocky, dirt road, but not a big deal to traverse).

Arenal.net offers an interactive map that shows the current direction of the lava flow from the volcano. Currently, it's still flowing on the AOL side and you would likely have lava views from Arenal Lodge and Lost Iguana as well.

A couple of things to keep in mind regarding lava viewing; the direction of the flow can change, so it's basically impossible to know where the best views will be next year when you plan to go. Arenal.net is a good way to keep track. Also, the volcano is frequently covered by clouds (due to climate patterns in the area). Unfortunately, there's no guarantee you'll actually get to see the lava. We spent 3 days there in 2006 and never saw it (although we did have one clear afternoon that gave us a good look at the volcano itself, and it is very impressive!). We really enjoyed the Arenal area. I would go back in a heartbeat!

We stayed at Arenal Lodge for our visit. The junior suite rooms are quite spacious and offer volcano views (weather permitting). The hotel grounds are lovely and we saw quite a bit of wildlife there. The place is not particularly fancy, but the rooms are comfortable and clean. The included breakfast buffet was great. We were happy with the hotel choice.

Good luck with your planning! Costa Rica is absolutely wonderful!