Lisa ! Manuel Antonio Experts !

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9th, 2005, 05:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Guys ! My neice just called me and has decided she wants to take an 8 day trip to Costa Rica ( her first ) . She will be with a girl cousin of the same age ( 23 ). They are definitely on a budget , and at this point want a beach vacation with a few sidetrips . So , they want to stay in M.A. . They wanted a place with a view , a little pool etc. I have been doing research and so far La Colina standard room seems best at 55.00per night breakfast included . My auntie mode has kicked in , and I thought this a better idea than one of the budget beach lodging ? I could be wrong . Also , I figured interbus from San Jose ? Really , any input , please ! Budget is key ! (55.00 o.k.) Maybe I am overlooking someplace ? Thanx ! Faith .
Old Jan 9th, 2005, 08:07 AM

LaColina is an excellent choice and at $55 a great value! It's fun and funky, the pool has chaise lounges and a small swimup bar. Thursday evenings feature live music around the pool (local guys who play a mix of blues, r&r) and a great location between the park and Quepos. I can't think of anything else in that price range that offers their amenities. IMHO,I'd jump on LaColina's $55. Interbus is a great transport service, safe and on time. If they are headed back to the airport from M.A., they might consider taking the directo bus from Quepos to SJ. It stops at the airport prior to going into downtown SanJose and a real $$ saver at 1,900 colones per passenger. I normally wouldn't suggest this to first timers but I think it's very doable from Quepos to the airport (and no need to go to bus terminal in SJ ... terrible place!) Luggage for airport passengers is kept in a different place under the bus as those traveling into the city so they'll need to tell the driver their destination. Do you think you can convince the girls they need a chaperon (YOU!) so you come back to paradise?!

Lisa
Old Jan 9th, 2005, 09:07 AM
Original Poster

Hey Lisa , Dont I wish !!! It was hard to leave , I would return tomorrow morning ! I think La Colina sounds great for them , they have allready done the Cancun , Cuba , All Inclusive thing , so I am trying to ease them into more independant travel. I did this same trip with my girlfriends 13 yrs. ago . We stayed in a tiny little hotel in Quepos , owned by a character named Hector Ramirez I believe . I think they want something a little different . We used to hop in the back of little trucks which we would flag down , to take us to the beach . It was amazing , we met tons of local characters , and I was hooked ! I will mention the other bus option to them , I think it would be fine , as I said , I was trying to ease them in . But money is an issue so this sounds like a great alternative to interbus . Thanx !
Old Jan 9th, 2005, 11:39 AM
Original Poster

What about El Lirio , it rings a bell ? Any Input ! Jeepers , you would think I was going I am having so much fun ! Smiles , Faith .
Old Jan 9th, 2005, 03:31 PM
Original Poster

Hey People , The girls flight does not arrive until four. They miss the Interbus to M.A. Lisa , is the directo possible from the airport to M.A ? safe as well , again the Auntie mode kicks In ! Thanx , Faith .
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 04:52 AM

There is a directo at 6 pm and 7 pm; however, I believe they'll need to pick it up from the bus station in San Jose. I can't recommend this option ... two young girls, downtown SJ at the bus station, sounds dangerous and it probably is to be honest. I don't think the bus stops at the airport coming out of SJ but very honestly I'm not positive about this so hopefully someone else will repost.

El Lirio is located at the top of the hill next to the school and soccer field. Their website looks great but I wonder if the school noise would be a distraction?

Hotel Ramus is still operating in Quepos! And yes, Hector is still here also! Isn't it nice that some things don't change?

Lisa
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 05:23 AM

Hi, i've been reading everything and I don't want to overtake Faithie's string...but just out of curiousity...the price difference between Costa Verde (most inexpensive room) and Villas Nicolas (most inexpensive room) is only $5 and I think they both include breakfast?!!

Between the 2, which one is recommended for me? (2 adults, no children).

Thanks.
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

I do not believe Costa Verdes rooms include breakfast . We loved Costa Verde with the kids , a perfect choice for us with awesome views . Villas Nicolas is very pretty and charming , both grounds and rooms , perhaps a bit more romantic. Thanx for the response Lisa , I actually stayed in a private villa close to the school on my first trip as well . That Hector was quite a character , actually called the waiting area at sansa to say goodbye to us ! Ahhh ... those were the days ! I do not think the directo bus thing is a good option San Jose to quepos . Opposite direction , yes . That is what I thought u would say , thanx . We are going to try to find them better flight options , arriving earlier in the day . Appreciate the help ! Faith .
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 11:17 AM

faith: I'm sure the girls are going to be anxious to get to M.A., the beach and some serious tanning so spending one night in SJ just to catch interbus the next day is going to be a "lost day" to them. Just an idea ... Whenever we need any type of assistance in SanJose, we hire Carlos (if you go thru previous posts you'll find recommendations). His profession is a driver for tourists but he has also assisted us with obtaining our residency, drivers licenses, keeps our car at his home when we are stateside etc. He speak fluent English, very personable, knowledgable, just an all around great guy. If he is avail, I'm sure he'd pick the girls up at SJO, drive them to the bus station, get their tix, wait with them for the bus, just keep a good eye out for their safety. He doesn't charge much for everything he does for us but we always give him $10/hour. For the girls, that would only be $20-$30 and it would well offset the cost of spending one night in SJ and interbus the next day. Once they arrive in Quepos, taxis are located just across the street from the bus station, so that's not a worry. Just a thought ...

Lisa
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 11:48 AM

Not meaning to butt in here, but THAT was one of the most helpful suggestions I've read on Fodors. What peace of mind. . .
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 12:52 PM
Original Poster

Lisa , That is a super idea , THANK YOU.... You are exactly right , they do want to get to M.A. quickly ! And for the exact reasons you said ! This is definitely the best option for them ( re: Carlos )if we cant arrange better flights . I really appreciate the help , their mom would as well ! ( 2 pink cheeked blondes might stick out a bit ! ) Lol , Faith .
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 01:04 PM
Original Poster

P.S. Your not butting in at all Shillmac ! Pura Vida ! Faith
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 05:41 PM

I'm just thinking how that idea would appeal to me if those were my kids going there to visit for the first time!
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 09:40 AM
Original Poster

HI everyone , Just talked to my neice in P.E.I. , she is still trying to arrange a better flight .For a hotel, Looks like it will be La Colina , free breakfast after all ! Exiting stuff ! Faith
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 10:16 AM
Original Poster

Yup ! Me , AGAIN !!! Another thing I cant help my neices with , a canopy tour . Something fairly close to M.A. , They have decided they can afford to do one maybe two activities ? Also , if they end up having to spend the last night near SanJose I figured Orquideas Inn at 55.00 breakfast included a good option ? As always , the tips and advice is well appreciated ! Faith
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 10:22 AM

There are three canopy tours (two zip line Tarzan ones and one hanging bridges) in the MA area. They don't have to make reservations too far in advance. One day before is fine so they can do this at the hotel.
Orquideas Inn is a great place and they have a fantastic breakfast buffet. I think it starts at 8:00, but they have coffee service by 6:00. They can also arrange for a ride to the airport for the same cost as a taxi...about $12 I think??
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 10:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanx Ally , They actually could be gone by the time breakfast is served ! Ah Well ! Thanx for the tips ! Faith