Lima/Cuzco, La Paz, Quito - Help with itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 02:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to visit, Peru, Boliva and Ecuador in May for approx. 13 days (4 days per country), main attractions would be MP, Lake T, galapagos(if possible), Sacred Valley, Otavalo markets, etc. I can't begin put this itinerary together. I'm a female travelling solo and would like to see it all and be safe, also on a budget. Any recommendations for the best sights, budget hotels and tours welcomed.
Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 03:28 PM

That's a lot to pack into two weeks. Might I suggest cutting it back to two countries, or (here's a thought) even one? A lot of that time would be eaten up with travel, even if you take flights, which you'd almost need to do.

For example, a flight from North America to Lima or to Quito gets in too late at at night to make conenctions anywhere until the following morning. There are overnight flights to Lima that get you there before dawn and then with the chance to connect to an early-morning Peruvian domestic flight. But that has eaten up your entire first day of travel. The train from MP returns to Cusco too late at night to go anywhere until the following morning. Getting from Cusco to Quito requires a connecting flight back in Lima, but it would likely eat up a whole day of travel.

Not that you're going to do things in that order, but there are issues of time to consider.

The Galapagos are another matter. Round-trip airfare from Quito or Guayaquil is $350-400. Then you plop down another $100 entry fee when you get there. That's upwards of $500 just for that portion of the trip alone before you even think about accommodation, food or tours. The return flight from the islands to the mainland also eats up the better part of a day.

Any one of those three countries could easily keep you occupied for two weeks, and you would save money because you wouldn't have to jumping on planes every couple of days throughout your trip.

A good guidebook at this stage of your planning would help you sort things out.
Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 04:33 AM

13 days is really not enough for what you want to do-for example, Sacred Valley on does tours on certain days for group tours. (and you're on a budget-can't do private tours.)

For those days, I would consider sticking to Cusco, (with Sacred Valley), MP, and then on to Quito/Galapagos.

I have travelled alone all over the world, I felt safe in both countries. If I were you, being on a bidget, I would stick to planning as much of the trip as possible on your own-you'll save $1,000 to $2,000 on your trip.

Start in Peru with Casa Andina- you can get rooms around $99 a night, centrally located, and they can recommend tour companies and get your train tickets for you. There are also many hostels in Peru, and they all looked really clean and decent. (so around $40-$60 a night) and most include breakfast. Train to MP is probably around $60 round trip if you go on backpackers train. There are large distances in between places, ex. the train is around 3 1/2 hours ONE way. You can get group tours of Cusco, includes surrounding ruins for around $15, and all day Sacred Valley tours for around $20, then it's about $7 for lunch. MP costs $40 entrance ticket, and $12 round trip bus to go up the mountain. For all day SV entrances, you'll need an entrance ticket and tourist card-around $30(?) which lasts 7 days.

Check out Lan.com for all your airfares-do you speak Spanish? You can sign in under Peru, it will save some money-if not, you need to sign in under US. You may want to call them, get all of your airfare through them, they may be able to work out the best price. If you overnight flight from the States, you save on a hotel in Lima. You have to arrive in Quito the night before if going to Galapagos-they won't allow you to go on the same day. (same with return, you have to stay in Quito.) There are plenty of 3 night cruises, on a budget- and they include all of your food. Airfare is always around $400, and the entrance is $100.

With a little bit of work, you could probably see Cusco/Sacred Valley/ MP, then Quito/Galapagos for around $2500? Of course, I don't know what time of year you're going, which also makes a difference for the Peru portion.

I don't think you realistically have enough time to coordinate with Bolivia or Lake T, it takes all day to get to places, and transportation sometimes only goes certain days of the week-I'm the type of traveller that's "antzy"-I have to see it all and be on the go, but I really do think you're trying to do too much.

Let us know how your planning is going.
Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 05:49 AM

As to one of the suggestions above: If you book on LAN's website, it's best to be truthful and sign in under the U.S. page. Booking on the Peru page usually does give cheaper domestic airfares, which are geared toward a Peruvian customer base. When you check in and present your non-Peruvian passport, you risk being charged the difference in fares right there on the spot. It happens.

If you're a U.S. citizen, you'd need a visa to enter Bolivia. That's another $100+.
Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 12:05 PM

I spent two weeks in Peru a couple of years ago and was fortunate to go to MP and spend time in beautiful Lima. I recommend that if you go to Cusco, you stay in a hostel, it is cheap, clean and a very good value. Remember to layer your clothing as it is quite chilly up there in the Andes.
Also, they do accept $US but they prefer old, wrinkled bills????? If you try to give them a crisp bill, they turn it away. So take all of those used up looking bills.
Have a great time, it is magical.
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 01:35 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your recommendations. I have a lot to think about and consider. It looks like I'll have to narrow down my trip to just two countries - Peru a must, but a toss up between Ecuador and Bolivia. I will keep you posted on my decision and itinerary. Thanks for all, I appreciate the advice.