Leaving for Belize on Wed, couple of last minute questions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15th, 2009, 08:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all....we leave on Wednesday for Belize and there are just a few questions that I have before we go that I was hoping to get some help with.

First one - we'll be staying at Chaa Creek and we plan to go to Tikal and do the ATM tour. I'm not sure what else, but for sure those two excursions are on our list. When we've gone to Costa Rica, Keen closed toe shoes have been fine for all our hiking and outdoor activities - are those shoes appropriate for these activities as well as the other inland excursions we'd be doing?

Is there any recommended packing items that are not so obvious that we wouldn't think of for this location?

Also - we're going to Ambergris Caye and staying at Portofino. Our package includes use of resort water equipment, but would you recommend bringing our own snorkel gear? We don't have anything fancy - just masks and fins from Target or someplace - but I'm not sure if the quality and sanitation of the snorkels they would have to use would be something to consider. Neither of us dive, so snorkeling would be our main activity - other than just relaxing while there.

Also, I'm having a hard time figuring out how much money to bring with us. At Chaa Creek, our meals are included as well as some of the excursions so I don't expect to spend a lot of cash while there and what we do I would imagine would be charged right on the resort bill. In Ambergris Caye, only breakfast is included - are ATM's readily available - even near Portofino which I understand is fairly remote? Or should we rely on credit cards?

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Belize is totally new territory for us, and I feel a bit unprepared for this adventure!
Old Aug 15th, 2009, 09:08 AM

You are so lucky and will have alot of fun! I would imagine a place like Portofino would make sure their supplies are clean for their guests. Use the space in your suitcase for souveniers. Also, make sure you bring lots of insect repellent and sunscreen.

If you plan on going into San Pedro I would bring extra cash for shopping and eating. Using a credit card internationally the bank will charge fees.

Enjoy Belize and take lots of pictures!
Old Aug 15th, 2009, 10:41 AM

Two great hotels, you'll be pleased with both. Keens are fine for both beach and jungle. No problem renting snorkel gear. ATM's in both San Ignacio town near CC and in San Pedro town. Credit cards widely accepted.
Old Aug 15th, 2009, 03:44 PM

We only wore Keens and flip flops. Many people said you could not do the ATM with out hiking boots but we wore Keens and the other two on our trip wore open toed sandals but tore up their toes a bit.

We loved doing the Black Hole Drop but it is only offered by Caves Branch. Zip lining was a blast as well.

I would and did, bring my own snorkel. You just NEVER know who's mouth the snorkel has been in! YUCK!!You can rent fins no problem.

I brought just about $3500.00 and ended up bringing a lot home with me and we did not scrimp at all. That was also used to pay for the flight to and from AC as well as to pay for any extras at Caves Branch.

There are ATM's in AC, I never used one, and you can use Credit Cards, I never used them, but you will usually be charged extra by your bank. I brought 1/2 our money in cash and the other 1/2 in Travelers Checks.
Old Aug 16th, 2009, 05:52 AM

I always travel with my own mask and snorkel. Mostly to be sure that I have a mask that fits. Not much worse than a leaky mask. As for the snorkel being clean, it really isn't that much different than drinking out of the same glass as another person.....
Old Aug 16th, 2009, 07:13 PM

Sand fleas can be pretty bad on Ambergris. Might want to bring whatever you prefer to deter the little guys.
Old Aug 18th, 2009, 04:14 AM

Have a great trip! Can't wait to see what you thought.
Old Aug 18th, 2009, 06:24 AM

I too, bring my own snorkel and mask. The reason I mentioned a snorkel being clean is because my best friend rented a snorkel in AC and ended up with severe canker sores in her mouth after using it. I am not saying they are all dirty but you run a really big chance.
Old Aug 18th, 2009, 10:16 AM

Shell, have fun - looking forward to hearing all the great details!