last of San Jose Missions report.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9th, 2007, 09:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to who ever got this pulled from the post page. I'm not sorry your offended. I'm only sorry your not understanding...

Once I got a good look at the 2 Momma's that had stayed behind I felt really bad about cussing them out in my mind while zipping through the rainforest. I'd much rather have been doing that then be sunburned. OUCH. The food they had in carryout containers smelled so good. Hearts of Palm soup, Seafood chowder with these huge pieces of baby crabs in it. A huge Salad with the local veggies and for dessert, a coffee flan. I was wondering what the restaurant we were going too would think of them bringing their own carry out in. I know at my restaurant I about blew a nut when the nurses down the street would bring in their own salads from home and order 2 sides of our homemade ranch for it. Out of 8 women 5 would order (and some split the meals) and the rest brought their own. The one's that brought the salads don't come in anymore. I charged them $1.00 for each side of Ranch, and it was time for them to blow a nut. They would order ice water with extra lemon and put our sweetnlow in it to make a lemonaide. Man, I've seen it all in this business.

But when we finally arrived at the Mex. Restaurant they were happy to see us and we were happy to see them. We all couldn't sit at the same table, so I ended up sitting with 4 of the girls and we had a blast. They also had a guy there playing a zylphone (?) and he had all of us cha cha cha'in. some of the kids went up and played the insturment too. They started us out with homemde salsa,guac and black beans puree'd with homemade chips. YUMMY, we ordered 2 extra orders and offered to pay extra, but they wouldn't hear of it. And you can guess what we got, Bean, Rice and BBQ Chicken. I knew we were having chicken when I seen the roaster in the window. But it was really good and HOT. Which is very important to me. The staff had no problems with the C/O food coming in. We explained why and they were very understanding. I did get to try the food from the Hotel and it was Wonderful. All of it. I fell in love with the coffee flan and I'm going to make it Friday at the Restaurant, I hope it comes out just as good. We all had fun at the restaurant but couldn't stay as long as we wanted, it was now close to 4 pm and we had to drive to San Jose.

The drive was much eaiser and faster then the trip up to La Fortuna. The scenery was beautiful. We stopped in a small town for shopping and bathroom time. Sarchi was the name of the town and the store we shopped at was very nice and had great prices. I bought my grandbaby a traditional costa rican dress that is so cute and all hand made, it was the nicest one I found, I looked at every place we stopped. I think our bus dropped close to a $1000.00 US there. I think the owner was quite happy. As soon as you walked in you smelled coffee and chocolate. I bet I ate my weight in choc. coffee beans. They were so good. Also another good one was choc. pineapple, oh it was sinful.
It was really dark by this point and once back on the bus, most everyone fell asleep. We had dinner reservations back at counrty inn and suites at 8 pm. and it I don't think we'll be on time for this meal either.

8:22 we arrived. After unloading the bus, getting new room keys and getting our stuff in them took awhile. We moved the reservation up to 8:45. Now if you remember earlier in this post (before it was yanked) Us adults had pitched in to keep my room for all the luggage, when I walked back into my room, I was greeted to a wall of pain. More like wall of gym locker. My room stunk so bad. 3 girls came with me to my room to get their suitcases and they couldn't believe how awful it smelled. They opened the patio door and turned the fan on to circulate the air. I had to RUN to the bathroom, I was doing the pee pee dance the last hour on the bus. I thought my bladder would pop any moment.

Got to restaurant for dinner and no one else was in the restaurant. That's a good thing usually the last night is always the loudest. Everyone's hyped up being stuck on the bus for over 4 hours. They didn't stick us in siberia room this time, we were in the Hotel restaurant. but the good part was no guests were there. After getting settled. We prayed and got in line for the buffet dinner. It was pretty decent too. Salad, Rice, Beans, Potatoes and Pork Chops. I just ate salad and bread, and had to beg for more bread and salad. They really just barely give you enough. No butter, about 1 tablespoon of dressing for the salad. But our waiter was very nice and hooked us up after we asked super sweetly. We were all enjoying the conversations going on. Us Momma's ordered coffee and our waiter frothed the milk and for the first time really the whole trip the coffee was excellent. but we could only enjoy 2 cups we had our big end of the trip meeting for testimony and what was going on the next day for our trip home. THANK GOD our flight wasn't until 2 pm. We can sleep in and have a decent breakfast and take our time to pack

Our guide (chairth) who we called Sheriff was included in the testimony too. Usually they don't attend becasue they are usally tired and want to get away from the groups they are with for days on end. But she asked could she attend and we were excited to have her too.

No one was allowed to go to the meeting unless they go their stuff out of my room. It was packed with duffel bags, suitecases, shopping bags, nasty shoes, dirty clothes and food. I had put the DO NOT DISTRUB sign on the door when we left and marked the door in 2 places to check if anyone went into the room while we were gone. And someone did. I was worried that someone might have taken something, but no one reported anything missing.

The new rooms everyone else was assigned to were Awesome. Some had lofts with 2 tv's, some were given suites with huge bathrooms and robes and one room was huge and had a kitchen, and I was stuck in the dirty sock room :} oh well. My group of girls offered for Me to stay in their room, which I thought was sweet, but I needed to pack and sleep and I knew most of them would be up most of the night, like a big PJ party. I almost changed my mind when I got back to my room really late after the meeting and no lights worked in the bathroom, when I called down to the front desk they said we'll send someone right away, but after about 30 minutes I called back and they said that it was too late to get into the utility room for the bulbs, it will have to wait until morning. Gheez, I think I've heard it all now. Thank God I had a big flash light, that worked just fine.

Our meeting was in one of the Momma's room that was a suite. I walked in that room and growled at her, she was laughing too. She asked me, can you believe this? Nope, I can't. She had a huge king bed, walk out patio, big bathroom, walk in shower, 2 tv's and robe with slippers. But it was perfect for our meeting, after all 15 in a hotel room is pretty tight.

The kids testimonies brought tears to everyone's eyes. Several kids cried about the conditions of the kid's schools, homes and general state of life. They also couldn't believe how accepting and loving all the kids were. How they would let you hold them, wpuld sit on their laps and how a smile can go along way when you don't know the language. All of the Kids said this trip changed their lives and they were not going to forget the kids and people they interacted with and how blessed they were with what they had at home. One of our girl's in paticular will always stand out in my mind, She cried about how she was giving her parents a hard way to go over some coach shoes she wanted. They were 85.00 dollars and her parents kept telling her no she didn't need them and they were NOT buying them. And she had a blow out with them the night before she left about it. And she couldn't wait to get home and tell them how sorry she was and how much she loved them. Man, that had me balling my eyes out too along with all the other people in the room. Many kids opened up to how privilage and blessed they were in their lives and how they really didn't know it until now, and how this trip opened their eyes. They said they would go home and tell all their family and friends about the trip and try to get them to join in for another trip to CR ASAP to finish the feeding center.

Chairth our guide really opened up about Her life to everyone. How She was a child of missionaires who traveled the whole world and how she moved so many times she can't count em. How her family struggled but always made it and she thought her life was truly blessed. We gave her a huge tip which she was taken back by (I guess most people don't tip, we always do on all of our trips) and gifts we had brought from home for her and Letters I had suggested we write to her to ler her know how much we appreicated all her good humor and wisdom. She was truly moved by all this and said Our group was one she would never forget and all our sayings we had she'd use and giggle to herself about them and would we please request her when we came back to CR....I also taught her how to pronounce Harrible (horrible) NY style. She Loved that and couldn't wait to use it on Her family. She was going home for the first time in 18 months to visit her family in TX and she was so excited about that. We invited her to Detroit and were hoping she takes us up on that.

After all the tears, tissues, gifts, money and phone # changing, we discussed going to La Carpio in the morning for a couple of hours if they could. I would take them, via van from the Hotel, take clothes, food and visit one last time with the people who run the church and the 3 guys who helped us building. Our group leader agreed. Me and all girls could leave at 6 am take a driver and van there, bring the food and clothes and shoes (stuff we had worn during our trip and we'd wash it before we left) we could stay at the church until 9am and the van would come back and get us (or stay, we hadn't figured out that part yet)we got permission and now all we needed to do was get a hold of someone from the Church to make sure they would be there to open the door so we could visit and drop off the stuff.

Those girls tried into the wee hours of the night to get a hold of someone from the church. All the numbers they got from the boys and pastor's wife wouldn't work. I have a feeling they had the phone's where you bought minutes to use them. One company owns all cable, phone and internet service. And it seemed to me though everyone had a cellphone, here we are in this huge shantytown and most people had cellphones. And all the pay phones were being used when we'd drive by them. The girls even got on the internet to try and IM one of the people from the church, but they were not online. So by 2:30 am we knew we couldn't go and the girls were so upset. I felt so bad for them. I went up to my BIL room and asked him for some advice, but we had agreed, if we couldn't get ahold of someone before we went it was a NO GO. So I kissed him good night and went to bed. 6:30 am my phone rings, it was one of the girls, did anything happen through the night and could we possibly still go? I'm sorry honey, but no.

We had a pow wow (am I allowed to say that?) in my room. All the girls brought their clothes (they washed out in the tubs in their rooms) and we packed it all really nice along with my work gloves, safety glasses, our tennis shoes and notes for the kids, pastor and guys. We took them to the front desk and made arrangements for them to have it delivered to La Carpio. It was the next best thing and the girls knew it. There were alot of tears in my room, but I was touched at that and all the effort they made to do one last deed before heading home to warmth and comfort.

Breakfast was at a late 8:30. I ran to store/bakery one last time for all the warm yummy goodies. Said good bye to the staff there and thanked them for being so wonderful. And took my picnic to breakfast. All the usual food was there, but this time we had to share with another group of students who were so polite. When I walked up I was kind of taken back, I thought maybe I misunderstood Chairth the night before, but I could see my group mixed in the line. So as I walked up the boys from the other group told me "mamam you go ahead, I about fell over. How sweet, when I just grabbed some pineapple and went to sit down one of the boys from the other group hopped up and pulled out my chair. I had gotten extra french loaves and gave it to them and they were so happy. I didn't realize but this group had been there at the hotel for days and we were supposed to hook up with them but it never worked out. Come to find out later in the airport, our guys said the other group's boys thought I was HOT. Man, I've heard it all now.

Our last breakfast was quiet and sad. Those kids were schemein' and plottin' how could they stay longer, sorry kids that ain't happening. Go back to your room, get all your stuff to the lobby, were leaving at 11am. No fooling around.

The lobby was packed with our stuff and kids. We hauled all our luggage out to the bus and loaded on the top. Said good bye to the Hotel staff and got on the bus 11:00 on the dot. The first time ever we were on time. It was a sad trip to the airport.

The ride to the airport was 15 minutes. One of the Momma's hired a skycap to take us Momma's suite cases. And Thank God, the way we were all feeling at this point, the last thing I wanted to do was pull my stuff through this crazy madhouse crowd out in front of the terminal. There was a couple making out in front of the Kids and they were grossed out. I got a kick out of that. Because as soon as I seen my honey I would be doing the same thing. Delta counter was nuts, really packed but Chairth went in and paid our departure taxes and had a Delta rep. take our passports and start the process. I gave our bus driver 2 kisses on the cheeks and told him I hope god crosses our paths again soon. Chairth got lots of hugs and kisses from all of us. We told her we would see her very soon. And she waved and took off with the driver.

We got through the delta counter pretty quick. Headed to our gate. We had a full 2 hours to eat and shop and boy did we eat and shop. I got some choc. covered coffee beans and little samples of coffee candy for friends. My BIL bought beautiful black pearls for His wife and daughter. We all ate pizza ab pappa johns (what a rip off) and not even good. I myself didn't care for it, the kids tore it up. 2 hours went by so slow. I swear it took forever to get on the plane, finally strapped in next to a stranger but all my girl homies across from Me off into the blue sky we go......

The flight was long. It seemed like 6 hours not 3 1/2. The Man sitting next to me didn't utter 10 words the whole time. Ok with Me. The girls were doing their homework on the plane, MATH, don't even ask me about that stuff you guys. One of the girls was sitting next to some well known golfer, I had no Idea who he was, but he was from Atlanta. He talked to all of us the whole trip. Being it was April fools day we all were having fun with that one. So was the delta crew. One Crew guy asked me if I wanted Lobster or Filet, I was speechless. then he said April Fool! I got the pasta and it was so good. Salad, rolls and apple breadpudding. I traded my rolls and dessert for salad from one of my girls. I ended up with 5 salads, yummy, the cukes were so good and fresh. The guy next to me inhaled his food in 10.5 seconds and was buzzing the guy to bring him coffee. And that coffee smelled nasty. I got tea after I ate and got my pillow down and snoozed for about an hour. They showed a very cool movie on our flight too. I tried to stay up and watch it but I couldn't keep my eyes open. All I could think about was my honey and family, I couldn't wait to see them.

more later if I don't get kicked off. I'm such a bad girl.....
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 11:34 AM

Thanks again Theresa for the report.
It's great to hear the youth grew so much on their journey of love giving of themselves and other fun times.

I must admidt my eyebrows did raise a bit by your descriptive verbage also at times.
I appreciate your transparency and giving heart.
I still see your original mission post as #36 the last time I looked a few minutes ago. I don't think it has been pulled.

See you at the banqueting table!

Old Apr 12th, 2007, 07:28 PM

stop arguing about religion'

read Jhon 3:16.

Jesus is the only way! Not religion.
God never said if you practice this or that religion you will be saved.
Old Apr 14th, 2007, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

ATL was a mess, I couldn't get over the crowds there. I mean it is Sunday evening (9:50)and it was very busy and we still had to get our luggage go through customs re-check it and get to the gate. I got pulled out of the line (what a surprise) and had to wait while customs went through 2 other people's luggage first. One of them was a lady who had many spices and herbs in her luggage. I have no idea where she had come from with this stuff, but customs had 3 people working on it. I could smell the spices from 100 yards, now I know what that smell was. Finally it was my turn, after 20 questions, they never went through my stuff, in fact they never got off the chair they were sitting on. Lazy if you ask me. I had to come around the partician and get my luggage, because they were to lazy to get up and push it down the rollers so it would come to the end of the line. I was so pissed, I wanted to say something mean, but I kept it to myself. I was hauling butt through the terminal trying to find where I had to re-check the suitcases and keeping my eyes open for for the rest of my group.

25 minutes we start boarding for DTW. Finally get the luggage re-checked, and found the gate, but our flight had been delayed due to weather for at least an hour. Great, all that worry for nothing. So a bunch of Us went for coffee and a bite in the food mall, while I was getting coffee one of the other Momma's got pizza for the kids, and the counter help at the pizza place told her the amount for 4 pieces pizza, spaghetti, 2 waters, 2 cokes came to 53.00 dollars, she's like WHAT 53.00 dollars, and they yell April Fools, so they got this huge kick out of it. I was waiting at a table with my coffee and when they told me what the girls at the pizza joint pulled on them, I had to get into the action. I took a piece of pizza and walked over the the counter and when the lady behind the counter asked my was something wrong, I said YES,there is hair on my pizza! All the counter help came over to look and I yelled April Fools and ran back to the table. Those ladies went crazy, they laughed so hard. We got a kick out of that.

Our flight is delayed another hour. It's getting really late and I can't see getting home before 1 am. The kids were geeked up on pop and candy. No one was at the Delta counter so the kids started having fun. Some of the kids are on the track team, they took the dividers and set them up like hurdles and started running barefoot through the hallway and jumping these dividers like antalopes. Even the people waiting to board their flights were getting into it, they were cheering them on to. I was just waiting for security to come up and haul us all away for getting crazy in the terminal. It was wild there for awhile. It was funny, but not funny when the kids would start out running 50 yards away and the look on people's faces when they'd run past them were cracking Us up. I have this all on video. I couldn't stop them, and it was pretty clear the 2 teachers on the trip weren't going to stop them so I just taped and cheered them on.

Suddenly a Delta rep. came up and told us to stop it and that they were boarding right now and there was no time to fool around, get in line with your boarding pass, NOW. Well, allrighty then, seems out plane was there and they wanted to take off ASAP. We all got on and it was not a quiet flight. Everyone was geeked up and having a blast laughing and talking. Finally we landed (turbulance coming down almost made me and a few others puke)and it was 1 am. Our ride was late (what a shock) and I walked into my house at 2:54 am. There was my Honey waiting for Me, I was so happy to see him, I think we hugged for a 1/2 hour.

Got all my pic's loaded onto my comp. and they are awesome, especially the ones of the kids we reached out too, and seeing all their faces while they did the projets and the smiles while the puppet show was going on. Also, I can see how hard our kids worked building and painting.

No matter what the rotten, mean people on fodors have said about Me and the Kids, I can take any of the heat you all put out on here. Because, we did a lot of good things in the name of Jesus and being decent humans trying to make a difference, and it shows we did something great. Most of you may not know this....
but these teenagers I went with worked their butts off getting this trip together. They raised their own money for the airfare/hotel. Worked everyday during their lunch at school to make little projects and crafts for the kids in CR to do. They went out of their way to bring clothes for others and were making plans to go back to CR while still there. In fact even though it's their springbreak I have gotten emails from some of the kids wanting to make plans on how to fund raise for a trip there this fall.

Thanks to anyone who reads this and gets the inkling to do something good for someone els.

Thanks to anyone who gave me info about CR, I really appreicate it.

And to the negative ones who ruffled my feathers, I'm stopping right now and praying that God softens your heart, and you don't talk to anyone else like you did me, it may really hurt their feelings or worse yet, make them retaliate in the worse way possible. Have nothing to do with you. I wouldn't want you to grow old and no one around because you chased them away with your rotten self.

Theresa in Detroit.
Old Apr 14th, 2007, 10:05 AM

LOL........ I am without words.......

Old Apr 14th, 2007, 11:17 AM

Theresa,

I think what you and the children did was absolutely wonderful. But....I don't care what religion you are. I honestly don't care if you are religious or not. Do I think any better or any less of you because of your beliefs...no.

I do want to say that the world would still be a good place if more people would do nice things for each other just for the sake of humanity. Many do that go unrecognized. Instead of thinking in terms of Catholic, Protestant, Jewish, Muslim, Black, White, Red, Yellow we should just be thinking in terms of being fellow human beings. There are too many wars fought because of those religious and color differences. Look at what has happened here on Fodor's. It doesn't take much to set things off. I personally don't feel that I need to have a reward in heaven or anywhere else because I have helped someone. If I want to bring some elderly person a bowl of soup I will do it just because that is who I am. I have volunteered over and over again and will continue to do so just because I believe that it is the right thing to do. There are a lot of us out there.

ps...I do think that pow wow is considered politically incorrect now.

Peace

Old Apr 26th, 2007, 06:10 PM

did you read my post?????????????
THIRD ONE UP??????????????????????
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 06:20 PM

Again: nothing to do with religion; so everybody just read .............

JHON 3:16
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 07:53 PM

No words here, either, Jerry. May this thread Rest in Peace!
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 02:21 AM

Amen......lol......actually this thread has taken me in an interesting direction. I have a dear and wonderful friend who is both a licensed psycho therapist and a [gasp.....] FEMALE ordained minister in one of the larger Canadian churches.

We started out having an interesting email discussion about people's needs and motivations for their actions - this took us to a long telephone conversation about the same topic, which I'm sure will continue when we meet for coffee in the near future.

So, thank you, Theresa, for motivating me to contact this person who I see far too seldom. I'm sure you will be happy to know that some good came from your post. May God shower you with Her blessings.

Jerry
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 06:00 PM

You'll have plenty of "fodder" for your next "session" with the good thera-pastor! Jerry, give me a couple of suggestions on how best to spend a couple of days at Villa Lapas in June, please!
Old Apr 28th, 2007, 02:04 AM

LOL...... I'm just getting ready to do our company's year -end physical inventory.....if I survive I'll make some suggestions regarding VL sometime over the weekend.

Jerry
Old Apr 28th, 2007, 04:55 AM

Good luck! Don't forget to hear the birds sing! LOL. . .

I guess that's the equivalent for "smell the roses" for us birders. . .

Have a good weekend. Take your time with the recs. . .
Old May 2nd, 2007, 07:09 PM

Wow, I have taken some major beatings here on fodor's. Not just in the Latin America page but some other ones as well. I said something that offended someone so much I got kicked off and had to apply again and get a new name I miss THERESA10, but Mamaw will do fine.

9 Kids from this past trip have signed up to return to CR next year. The Church we help build a feeding center at has emailed Us and said the kids there really Loved us and can't wait for Us to come back. I feel the same way. I have pic's up from the trip at my restaurant and everyone's really impressed. I don't want impress, I want to tweek their heart and make them do something good. One of the kids on the trip with Me made a DVD of our trip and it is just AWESOME! I cried when I seen it. Seeing the children in the film part of it made me happy I went and want to go back ASAP.

I just hope we all can get along and make this world a better place. Are you with me or not?
Old May 2nd, 2007, 09:15 PM

Yes, hopefully we can all get along.

Bless you Theresa and keep up the good works...

...And the righteous said, "Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you?"...
The King will answer,.. when you feed even the least of my brothers, you did it to Me."