Language Schools in Guanajuato

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19th, 2003, 08:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HI, guys:<BR><BR>I'm going to Mexico (for the first time) to take Spanish language classes. Based on my research, I decided to go to Guanajuato. I will be there for 8 to 10 weeks as of late May. I have found two language schools there but am having trouble choosing between them. The schools in question are Escuela Mexicana and Academia Falcon. I would appreciate any information that you could share. I'm hoping that someone has attended one of them or has heard something good or bad about them. <BR><BR>Thanks, <BR><BR>Jozhik
Old Mar 21st, 2003, 03:19 PM

I don't know anything about the schools, but I can tell you that 8-10 weeks is not enough to learn a language. It's a daily, years-long process, like learning to play a musical instument. I'm not saying you shouldn't go, but just to advise that results may be less than advertised. I recommend a BA or better yet and MA program at the local university
Old Mar 22nd, 2003, 07:10 AM

Actually, Greg, the 8-10 week immersion classes can be quite good and very effective, especially for a language as easy as Spanish. Research shows that this immersion approach is particularly effective for adults. One will not become fluent in such a short period, but can attain basic oral, aural and written language skills - enough to manage the tasks of daily life and set the stage for continued learning. (No, I don't run a language school!)
Old Mar 24th, 2003, 08:08 AM

I don't know the schools you mention, but I would like to refute one of the above comments. From my experience I anticipate you will learn more, at least in a conversational sense, in 8-10 weeks than you would likeley learn with a B.A. in Spanish. I have met many Spanish graduates who know grammar well but are incapable of the most basic conversation in the language. You are choosing an excellent and quick way to learn. Advice- keep yourself immersed for the whole time. It is easy to spend your off time with fellow gringos at the school and not practice. Instead live as the locals and keep English to a minumum. You will learn a lot.
Old Mar 24th, 2003, 12:38 PM

I've had the opposite experience several times, where the 8-10 week student couldn't maintain a conversation. If their objective is to become fluent, then it will take several years. Also, the University route will expose them to lots of literature(especially the MA program). I wouldn't trade it for anything.
Old Mar 24th, 2003, 01:51 PM

Greg- Its an interesting debate. I have the academic background but have always learned far more, and more rapidly, in imersion experiences. I continue to be amazed that the people with B.A.'s can't say &quot;Hola me llamo .....&quot; or whatever yet they can conjugate verbs in all the tenses like crazy. It may be that people learn differently or it may be the states I live in are not doing enough to encourage fluency in their universities. What do you think?
Old Mar 24th, 2003, 06:20 PM

i think Jozhik's ability to learn Spanish depends on Jozhik, not on anyone else's experience. I've been able to pick up some conversational armenian by listening, mimicking and pantomining, and that's just by hanging out with a family that didn't speak very much English - maybe Jozhik would have a similar experience. <BR> <BR>Although, jozhik, it certainly wouldn't hurt to pick up a phrase book so you can at least be able to say hello when you arrive.
Old Mar 25th, 2003, 08:35 PM

I have not been to either of the schools, but have several friends who attended Academia Falcon and have nothing but good things to say about it. Also, our local community college sends students there all of the time. It has a very good reputation.<BR>While you are there follow the advice of an earlier post and immerse yourself all of the time. No time out speaking english with the other gringos. That way you will get into the rhythm of the language and pick up the accent as well as the words more quickly.<BR>Enjoy.