Learning Brazilian Portuguese

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28th, 2004, 06:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking for suggestions on good tools to learn Brazilian Portuguese. Are there any particular books or CD's that you recommend? I'm planning a trip to Brazil for the end of May and would like to be as prepared as possible. Thanks for the help.
Old Jan 28th, 2004, 08:30 AM

There is a Portuguese set of CD's or tapes called Pimsleur, I hear its the best and they are not cheap about $160 for the first course beginners. I think you can find it on ebay or amazon. Through the years I have done it in several different ways, first I did buy tapes and books, I bought the tapes that the diplomats use for foriegn service in the US, they were pretty good and took me several months to get through, when I got to Rio I had some basic speaking skills. I have also been to Berlitz and other schools for group and private lessons but the private lessons are very costly. If money is no problem then go to Berlitz and take private lessons, this would be the fastest and most effective way to speak a new language otherwise either get some tapes from the web or go to Barnes and Noble they have tapes and cd's for sale.
Old Jan 28th, 2004, 11:56 AM

Hi dondiega.

I bought all of the pimsleur tapes (due to my hubbies demand) and we've only listen to them a few times. They are great but who has time to listen? For me the best way to learn is via Oglobo tV or being in brazil itself. right? chau i'm enjoying this wonderful weather we are having in ny
Old Jan 28th, 2004, 12:43 PM

Cariocagirl, your right it's not easy learning a language when you are not in the country or around people who are speaking it fluenly to you all day. Watching it on TV is difficult because you only hear the words in Portuguese you don't know what it means in English, so you pick up little unless you speak Spanish, do you speak Spanish?

Your right when you are trying to teach yourself a language using tapes and a book, you have to be very disciplined and set aside a certain amount of time regularly to do your lessons otherwise you will learn nothing and you need to practice. You have to really want to speak the language deep down inside to have the desire to spend the time it needs to learn it. I approached it as a hobby, learning the language and when I get to Rio it pays off because I am thrilled when I can communicate with everybody. Even though I don't speak perfectly it all works out.
Old Jan 30th, 2004, 04:52 PM

Check out this site:
http://www.sci.fi/~huuhilo/portuguese/index.htm