Search

Ladies Only

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22nd, 2009, 06:38 AM
bd
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ladies Only

Okay Ladies... I've seen all kinds of discussions about what to pack, what suitcases to buy, what footwear is best... now can we talk bras? For those hot and humid hikes through places like BdC.. does anyone have any recommendations for comfort and dry-ablilty?
Old Nov 22nd, 2009, 06:45 AM

I've never taken anything special, but I'll be curious to see what others recommend. There have been a few times in the car where I wish I had worn a sports bra - lol. The roads aren't always in the best shape. Something that wicks away moisture would be great.
Old Nov 22nd, 2009, 07:09 AM

My choices have been either loose breathable top with NO bra (most comfortable!), or just a breathable exercise bra or top (but burn easily with this option). This year I spent more on an extremely light organic cotton bra that I'll "test" in February at BdC!
Old Nov 22nd, 2009, 08:05 AM

I wear tank tops that have a shelf in them. I'm on the petite side so that may not work for everybody.
Old Nov 22nd, 2009, 08:34 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I wear my normal bras from home. Just make sure I have enough of them (3-4) so they can air-dry in between wearings & be washed in the sink now & then (roll in a towel then hang to dry. I take liquid soap & a plastic hanger). I'm a size where no bra is simply not an option.
Old Nov 22nd, 2009, 08:43 AM

Hope I'm not thread-crashing since I'm not a CR person, but I do travel to Latin America every summer and have addressed this issue successfully for myself. Check out Title Nine Sports: http://www.titlenine.com/category/sp...-and-undies.do . They have a category for "Best Wicking" and a system for rating amount of support (# of barbells). Obviously comfort is hard to gauge when you're ordering online so if you can't find a Title 9 store close, allow time to return uncomfortable bras.

In any event get on their catalog list if you're a traveler - awesome products. If you're not familiar with Title 9, it's the law that states schools have to offer balanced sports offerings for girls. Happy trails!
Old Nov 22nd, 2009, 09:51 AM
bd
Original Poster

Not at all, hopeful. I don't know why I put it under CR anyway. It's certainly not a regional question. Thanks for the info. I'll look into it.

Thanks for all your candid responses!
Old Nov 22nd, 2009, 10:32 AM

I take 2-3 of the quick dry/wicking sports bras.
Old Nov 22nd, 2009, 02:51 PM

Can I cut in to ask this same question of sleepwear in CR?

I kind of expect to be sweating in my bra with all the hiking and activity during the day. (I will pack a good wicking sports bra and my regular soft cup cotton bra and hope for best with handwashing alternately)

With no AC in a humid climate, I am undecided what to pack for nights when I need to feel comfortable and rest up for another day of adventure.
Have read it is cool in Monteverde, nice breeze on the Osa & Caribbean, and hot in Arenal (La Fortuna) and San Jose?

Trying to keep items to a minimum so was wondering if I should pack one short lingerie type nightgown and one pair sweatpants for colder nights. Do I need long sleeve tee too? Not concerned about fashion obviously! LOL

thanks - T
Old Nov 22nd, 2009, 05:20 PM

How about not wearing a bra !!!

Ooops I forgot it's for ladies only ...... sorry
Old Nov 22nd, 2009, 06:34 PM

I often wear my bikini top as one, seems like after I wash it out later it dries faster than a bra. Sometimes I don't even bother or wear a tank. I did wear down there one year one of those sports bras and wasn't too crazy about it, due to the tightness of the fit I found it made me feel hotter.

MOM I usually don't take anything special, a tank top & boxers will do in a pinch. I could've worn sweatpants easily in Alajuela and even the Osa at nights but the weight.... Speaking of fashion, or not , I know I was a sore sight on the Osa. One morning I wore my crocs, boxers and rain jacket to breakfast, I was a tropical salad of colours.
Old Nov 22nd, 2009, 07:22 PM

Mom, Monteverde was very cool at night when we were there. Some evenings we even wore sweatshirts and fleece jackets when we were outside, and our hotel had the fireplace going. The Osa and Caribbean can be pretty warm - we had a little temp gauge on the Osa, and it was about 80-82 at night when we were there. Arenal is usually pretty moderate. San Jose was downright cool the last time we were there. We were eating in the outdoor restaurant at Xandari, and a big rainstorm blew in; the waitstaff actually came out with blankets for everyone. For sleeping, I think a tank or t-shirt would be fine.
Old Nov 23rd, 2009, 07:15 AM

oh well my comments are not specific to Costa Rica either, as I go to Mexico and Hawaii, but think those are similar as far as what women need in warm weather places (realize CR has cool weather too)??

For sleeping, I always just take an extra tank top or sleeveless cotton tshirt and boxer type lightweight shorts that I keep aside to sleep in. If it's really cool at night won't you have a bed with blankets?

i really think the bra question depends as much on how you're built as the weather you encounter... for me no way would a smushy sportsbra, shelf cami, or nada work. Nothing worse when you're in heat & high humidity than a bra that doesn't fit perfectly. why i take my regular ones regardless.
Old Nov 23rd, 2009, 07:55 AM

suze -- There are some pretty good sports bras out there...not too smushy. ;-) I can't do the shelf bra either as I'm too busty, but have found sports bras to be more comfy hiking, and in the humidity in general, than underwires.

Percy!
Old Nov 23rd, 2009, 01:47 PM

Hi hipvirgochick !! Just trying to be helpful
Old Nov 23rd, 2009, 03:41 PM

not me, no way, i need the underwire, believe me, i've tried the various sports and wicking bras, from Title 9 and elsewhere. never found one that worked.
Old Nov 24th, 2009, 05:14 AM
bd
Original Poster

I don't want to wear my current ones from home, and the sports bras I have are too constricting (or smushy!) and hot, but I'll look for some wicking ones. Thanks for the suggestions.

Now Percy, if you're going to join the conversation, it's only fair... boxers, briefs, or "commando"?
Old Nov 24th, 2009, 07:08 AM

Definitely check out Title 9 for starters. Good luck!
Old Nov 24th, 2009, 09:56 AM

bd

You pick and I will wear it .