La Carpio

Old Feb 9th, 2007, 10:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
La Carpio

Good Afternoon! Can anyone tell me about this city, which is not far from San Jose. I would really appreciate any info.

Thanks Theresa in Detroit
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 05:51 PM

It's not a city. It's an area of San Jose, and is one of the city's poorest slums. Why do you ask?
Old Feb 10th, 2007, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

Jeff Your just the Guy I may be looking for.

I will be in this area next month on a missionary/building trip. I would like to get some info on the area we'll be visiting. And I will be bringing stuff for the kids there, any suggestions.
We are building a nutrition center and whatever else we possibly can do to help.

I look forward to hearing from You. Thanks. Theresa in Detroit.
Old Feb 10th, 2007, 02:58 PM

La Carpio sits on the far west side of the city. The population is mostly Nicaraguan, who today are among the poorest segment of Costa Rican society. Expect to see dirt streets and metal shacks.

There were a couple of days of violence there in May 2004. Residents barricaded the area, primarily to call attention to the lack of services and infrastructure. Tensions escalated and several residents and police officers were injured. That type of incident is VERY rare in Costa Rica. I would not worry about safety.

As for gifts, I would think pens and paper and notebooks are good things to bring for children. Maybe someone else has more experience with this kind of work than I do.

Do a Google search of "La Carpio" and you'll see many sites with pictures that people have assembled. I gather they're from trips similiar to yours.
Old Feb 10th, 2007, 04:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Jeff!

I have experience with the slums. I have been to some of the poorest through out Mexico. Some places that looked like a bomb went off after a hurricane came through. I suppose the children there in La Carpio would love all the little things other children would want. I hope to bring something to make them smile and help them build their confidence. I fear not for my safety, for I know where ever I am I'm supposed to be and God has my back.

Thanks for your help, and I'm still very open to any info anyone can send my way.
Old Feb 17th, 2007, 09:17 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Feb 18th, 2007, 10:38 PM

it's definetelly a dengarous place