Kid friendly place in mexico?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17th, 2008, 04:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, we are a family of 6 traveling to mexico in April. We are looking to go somewhere that has activities for children. any suggestions?
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 07:13 PM

Puerto Vallarta
Old Jan 18th, 2008, 09:43 AM

I disagree with Puerto Vallarta.

I'm a Mexican National Living in Cozumel. Living in the US almost all of my life, I know that Mexico has its ups and downs when it comes to safety.

I highly suggest the Island of Cozumel. They reason I moved here (as opposed to my birth-state, Michoacan) is because my fiance and I wanted to find a clean, safe, and friendly place. Cozumelians are by far ( and I really don't like generalizing, but it's true) the most amiable people in Mexico. I've been living here for over a year now and love the atmosphere.

A family could really enjoy what this place has to offer, it has resorts (only a few) and many places that kids could go to have fun, bowling, snorkeling, dolphin interactions, national park, fantastic beaches, Chankaanab ( look that one up) and more...

The gov really wants to attract ppl here so they invest heavily in civil society, which makes this one of the best places to live and visit in the world!

Stay away from Cancun...it's a las vegas american microcosm. Same with playa del carmen. Xel Ha is nice, so is tulum, but not much for kids.

You may also try Oaxaca city. It's very colonial and nice.
Old Jan 18th, 2008, 01:50 PM

Look into Isla Mujeres. It's a small island close to Cancun (you take a 20 minute ferry from Cancun) They have nice condo accomodations (ixchel Beach and Nautibeach) The water is shallow and calm on North Beach...great for kids. There are places to snorkel off the beach, They have a turtle farm, a place you can feedd Nurse sharks. You can walk to many restaurants/little shops from the above condos. You can find info on the island at www.islamujeres.info We are taking our 3 kids in March. You can also rent a golf cart to explore the island. I love Playa del Carmen and would not compare it to Cancun...completely different, but would not be as relaxed as Isla. I agree to stay away from Cancun unless you want vegas beach.
Old Jan 18th, 2008, 01:51 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Another vote for Puerto Vallarta
Old Jan 18th, 2008, 06:56 PM
dar

Depends on how old your kids are. If they are ok swimmers, I'd say and all inclusive like Royal Decameron or Marival in Neuvo Vallarta (aka Vallarta Nayarat). It is only 20 minutes from the Puerto Vallarta airport, the weather in April is amazing, hot, yet breezy and not humid (bike riding in the evening, etc), the water is great for boogie boarding, many activities for kids.
If they are younger and need calmer water, I'd go with the Mayan Riviera (nr Akumal) as the water is calmer. Barcelo/Bahia both have great kids clubs. Cozumel is great, but requires a ferry ride that made me really sick!