Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Mexico with kids: Puerto Vallarta or Playa del Carmen?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10th, 2004, 02:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The more knowledge I get the more confused I become about where to go with our two young daughters in Mexico. We had settled on P.V. but couldn't find both a really nice hotel plus a wonderful beach and pool that we would all like(not to mention a gym for my husband!). It seems we'd have more choices in the Cancun area...what do you all think? And heck-maybe we should consider Costa Rica!!! THanks in advance...

Old Jan 10th, 2004, 05:28 PM

The problem with PDC us that the ocean is often too rough for kids to swim in.
Would recommend staying in Cancun on the Isla Mujeres bay side hotels. Else my number one rec would be Isla Mujeres (a small island 10 miles from Cancun)
Playa Norde is hard to beat in addition IM is very safe and you can let the kids run.
Visit www.isla-mujeres.net
Old Jan 10th, 2004, 05:55 PM
Original Poster

Thanks--I will check into your recommendation!
Old Jan 11th, 2004, 05:32 AM

dlai, this is interesting! I responded to your post about Westin vs. Camino in PV...First I should address PV if you are unsatisfied with those hotel choices. We started taking our daughter to PV when she was almost 4 years old. We chose the Krystal Vallarta over the Camino due to a great pool area for kids and the beach is pretty good also. 3 pool areas, one huge one at the ocean with music, swim up bar, waterfalls, etc. Another one with a big concrete pools slide, and another quiet pool to escape kids and noise. The hotel is on a large parcel of land with lush vegetation. It is an older hotel, but they just built a new building on the beach that I have not yet seen. We decided it is time for a change this year so we are going to the Velas Vallarta in 2 weeks which we toured last year. It is newer on a decent piece of beach in the marina area with a nice pool area (not quite as varied pools as the Krystal).

I was in Playa in November for a few days for a company trip. In January 05 we have decided to go to Playa for a change. To compare Playa and PV is hard...Playa has one thing PV does not-gorgeous blue water and white sand beaches. It does have a charming little downtown area, but I like the city of PV better. It is larger with many restaurants, shops, art galleries, outdoor sculptures, etc. I think either city is a MUCH better choice than Cancun. I have been to Cancun twice on company trips. Beautiful beaches and ocean, but the city is boring. Lots of nightlife and great if you love to party, but other than that, it feels much like any American city. If all you do is stay at the hotel, I guess it doesn't matter much, or if you are looking for a more "Americanized" vacation. I can't comment on Costa Rica (never been), but all of the other things you have considered certainly offer many positive things and you would have a great time no matter what. Oh, Isla Mujeres is beautiful. When in Cancun, I took the ferry over there and rode around the island on a golf cart. It is a small island and pretty. This is getting long, so e-mail me if you want to "pick my brain" about PV, Playa, Cancun, or IM. Send message to:

[email protected]
Old Jan 11th, 2004, 08:31 AM
Original Poster

Loangalsal:
I know--I'm being indecisive!! Thank you so much for your extremely informative and reassuring post and also for the kind offer to provide even more info-I may take you up on that! It's helpful that you have been to all three places that we're considering. Lately, I had been thinking of giving up on Mexico since it is all so new to us and overwhelming. I thought I had decided on the PV Camino Real because so many people seem to love it and it is on a nice beach, but on the website it looked a little on the old and dated side.
We definitely do NOT want to stay at an Americanized resort the whole time, but we don't want a tiny room and bathroom for the 4 of us (we just did that in Hawaii, and it got a little cramped!). We're getting older and we like our comfort!
The other issue is distance; we will be flying from Seattle, so PV is the closest of these choices, which makes a difference when traveling with a 4 year old. I'll be interest to hear how you like the Velas Vallarta and how it compares to your stay at the Krystal. The problem for me is there are a lot of options! Thanks again, D

Old Jan 11th, 2004, 09:17 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
for dlai, I can only speak to Puerto Vallarta & I also am from Seattle. I've made the PV trip ~15 times and obviously adore that town! I've traveled quite a bit but there's something about Puerto Vallarta that draws me, like a love affair, hard to put into words.

I'm not much help beyond those words of encouragement because I've never stayed at a "really nice hotel" with the ammenities you seek. My favorites in PV are very basic places. Having said that have you considered the Krystal (loangalsal knows her stuff) or maybe the Casa Magna Marriott (I stayed there one night when Alaska Air couldn't get us out - fabulous pool area)?

Last resort suggestion, before you go to Cancun, look into Nuevo Vallarta, which is the new fancy resort area about 1/2 hour north of the Puerto Vallarta airport.

p.s. If distance is an issue, why bring Costa Rica into the mix?
Old Jan 11th, 2004, 09:17 AM

Just a tad bit of info (to confuse you even more)

Some may disagree with me, but I feel PDC is a very ADULT town. There are lots of young people who go there from all over the world, and it's not uncommon to see topless sunbathing and marijuana use on the beach, although it's not particularly rampant.

Also, there are a LOT of bars and the drinking is quite open out on the streets.

I personally LOVE PDC, but think it is less family oriented than some other places in the area.

I too would recommend Isla Mujeres. Although there is some topless sunbathing there, it is much more subdued, and the whole atmosphere of IM is much more geared to families.

Plus, as another poster mentioned, the beach there is much calmer and safer for swimming than PDC.

Another good suggestion would be Akumal, just down the road from Cancun and past PDC. Very low key, safe and small. Very good beach for small kids and a variety of places to stay and eat.
Old Jan 11th, 2004, 09:23 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
One more tip (and it's a good one) if you choose PV. You can find non-stop flights SeaTac/PVR, but there are only a few of them. In my opinion *well* worth planning around. Otherwise you have to do a plane change (even on 'direct' flights) most likely in San Fran, LA, or Phoenix.
Old Jan 11th, 2004, 09:27 AM

Oh, no! Don't give up Mexico just because there is too much to choose from! My brother is going on the first "real" vacation of his life in February, and he is going to PV on my recommendation. I think it is a good place to start in Mexico. One thing I should mention is that the locals LOVE children there. I have never been anywhere with my child that they treated her better than in PV. The waiters treated her like a princess. She tries out her very beginning spanish on them and the cab drivers and they are so nice to her. Just pick a hotel, go down and have a great time. When you are there, you can tour a few other hotels and see what you might like better next time. With small kids I would think you would be happy at the Velas, the Krystal (best pools for kids), Marriot or many others. All the beaches are about the same at the hotels except I think Westin is inferior and Camino is superior. I will post a trip report when I return. The poster that said Playa was more geared towards adults may be right to a degree, but children will still be welcome there.
Old Jan 11th, 2004, 10:39 AM
Original Poster

OK!! I'm back to going to PV and am now working on getting nonstop flights (with Alaska Miles) then will decide between Camino Real and the other hotels with nice heated pools and a nice beach! Thanks for all your help-we wouldn't be going without you!
Old Jan 12th, 2004, 08:40 AM

If someone asked me which was better, I'd have a hard time choosing, too! The beach on the Carribbean side is so beautiful, but Puerto Vallarta has more charm and history.
But if someone gave me a free vacation to a hotel like the Ritz Carlton, Cancun, or the Camino Real, PV, I'd have to choose Cancun!