Just Back From El Careyes In Mexico

Old Jul 7th, 2006, 07:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just Back From El Careyes In Mexico

Just returned earlier this week. This is a fabulous resort about 2 1/2 hours south of Puerto Vallarta. If you are looking for a relaxing place, that will treat you like royalty, where the hotel grounds, pool, ocean scenery are breathtaking, where there is not much more to do then sit by the pool and have a few drinks...this is the place for you. Within 30 minutes of our arrival, they were calling us by name. The entire staff knew our favorite drink. We rented the small fishing boat made available by the hotel for a couple of hours. Upon our return, the hotel gladly served us lunch and dinner with the Mahi Mahi that we caught. Also served the Tuna that we caught sashimi style. The hotel was full, but we felt as if we owned the place. A few people in the pool, a few by the ocean, a few at the restaurant. With only 50 rooms, this place is not capable of being crowded. The service was fantastic, but unobtrusive. I could go on and on....The place is amazing.
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 08:55 AM

sounds beautiful, thank you for your report. How did you arrange transportation to the resort?
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

We actually rented a car. Which was nice since there are a couple of nice towns minutes from Careyes. Chamela, which is about 15 minutes away, had a good restaurant and a beautiful beach. We had miles and miles (so it seemed) of beach all to our self. You can fly in to Manzanillo which is about 45 minutes away. The drive really wasn't bad. The car wasn't the greatest, but it got us there and back with no difficulty at all.
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 10:59 AM

As you may know we recently scored a Christmas 5 day package at El Careyes incl taxes, all BFs, and a dinner with wine in an Ocean front suite for $1265. on Luxury Link Auctions.
Can't wait to go to Mosca's in Tenacatita for grilled red snapper and CocoCabanas on Isla de Navidad for Viet/Thai on the beach.
The Costalegre is wonderful in winter.
www.costalegre.ca or www.tomzap.com
M (SMdA, Gto.)
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 12:48 PM

Lo siento, that's five nights and we are driving from our Central Mexican mountain home in my awd turbo Subaru WRX.
M
Old Jul 9th, 2006, 07:57 AM

Austin2,

Thanks. What were the beach/water conditions? Was it calm? Swimmable? Is there snorkeling off the hotel's beach?

-Bill
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 05:33 AM
Original Poster

Absolutely. The hotels sits in a cove protected by hills/cliffs on either side and large rocky "islands in the front. There were no waves to speak of the entire time we were there. The beach front is sandy. About waist deep, there are a few small rocks, but not too bad. While we were there, several of the other guests at the hotel were seen swimming across the cove for exercise. I would say the beach front is perfect for swimming. There is a rock/coral formation where small swells crest about 200 yards from the beach. I saw someone snorkeling out there by way of kayak that was rented from the hotel. Not sure if it is any good or not. The small boat the hotel offers up does advertise snorkeling tours, but not real sure how good it is. The only motorized boat I saw the entire time we were there was the fishing boat at the hotel. If it's not in use it is anchored away from the beach. I can send you pictures if you would [email protected]
Old Jul 14th, 2006, 05:39 PM

There is really good snorkeling in Bahia Paraiso about 15 minutes from the hotel by boat, the snorkeling in Careyes Bay itself isn't very good but great for swimming and kyaking. There is also very good snorkeling in Chamela Bay off Isla Colorado, the hotel can arrange both.