Just back from 9 days in Santiago

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10th, 2003, 12:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spent a wonderful 9 days in Santiago. We stayed at the Alto Castello apartment hotel in the posh Las Condes neighborhood. The apartments were very large (we occupied three of them) with full kitchens, terraces, daily maid service, cable TV and a wonderful (though small) roof top pool with a 360 degree view of the city and the Andes. The rates were excellent at $59.00/night for a two bath one bedroom apartment and $90.00/night for a two bedroom two bath apartment. There was also underground parking, which came in very handy as we rented two vans from Hertz. It was much cheaper (about $700.00 less) to rent via a local agency rather than directly with Hertz in the US. Driving in the city could be slow going at rush hour and sometimes wild, but very easy once you got out of the city.<BR>We spent on day on the beach in Renaca, just north of Vina del Mar. Since this is autumn the beach was empty and the water was wonderful, no colder than swimming off of New Jersey or Long Island, and since it was midweek there was virtually no traffic. Another day was spent ant the Santa Rita vinyards where we took the free tour and had a wonderful lunch in the restored Spanish Colonial house on the grounds - it reminded us of the California wine country. We also spent a day at the Cascada des Animas in the Maipo River valley, and contrary to any comments here had a perfect day. Again as we were mid week we were the only people there, we had made no reservations but they quickly arranged a three hour horse ride up into the mountains for seven of us. We hiked to a waterfall and had a lovely lunch overlooking the roaring river at the on-site restaurant. The owners were lovely and one of the sons-in-law (who is American) was our guide. The horse ride was not for the faint of heart as it covered very steep ground, but was one of the most memorable parts of our trip.<BR>We found wonderful antique shopping near the Santa Ana subway stop and had a great lunch on the roof of the Carrera Hotel downtown overlooking the presidential palace.<BR>The subways were spotless and cheap, the food was wonderful and also a steal. We particularly enjoyed two meals at Happening Restaurant, a beautiful modern restaurant with incredible steaks, fish, etc.<BR>I would be happy to answer any questions that I can. It was a wonderful adventure.
Old Apr 19th, 2003, 08:39 PM

Hi Alan,<BR>I am going to S. America (Brazil and Argentina) in July and because I'm using my Delta miles I found out I can fly out of Santiago instead of backtracking to Sao Paulo. I heard form someone that there is an entry fee into Chile but can't find any info online. What did it cost you to enter Chile?? Do you think there is anyway I can get a feel for Santiago in 2 days--obviously, I won't get to see a whole lot, but it would be nice to explore a wee bit ;-)<BR><BR>It sounds like Las Condes would be a good neighborhood to stay--do you happen to know if Alto Castello had 1BR apts? Since it's just me, I don't really need all that space.<BR><BR>Debbie
Old Apr 21st, 2003, 07:38 AM

Alan, <BR><BR> It is hard to find tthe entry fee, but it is $100 for U.S. citizens. it is actually a reciprocity fee -- the amount is calculated by what the U.S. charges for a tourist visa, I understand. Do go to Santiago --it's a wonderful city.
Old Apr 21st, 2003, 04:04 PM
M_J

The entrance fee is payable ONLY in cash. They will not accept credit cards. But, once you pay it, the entrance stamp is good for the life of your passport.
Old Apr 24th, 2003, 05:48 AM
Original Poster

Debbie,

The Alto Castello in Las Condes does hve one bedrooms, for which we paid $59.00 US a night. Their website is (which you can make the reservation over) www.altocastello.cl.
When you arrive in Chile the first thing you do is pay the $100.00 entry fee. The booth is at the bottom of the arrival stairs before you get to the luggage are, it looks like a money exchange booth. If you proceed to customs without paying your fee you will be sent back. Another important thing is you will be issued an entry visa, which is a small piece of paper that MUST be returned when you leave the country. No one tells you this and if you do not have it when you leave I understand that it can take hours to get it replaced.
Old Apr 24th, 2003, 10:25 AM
sweetsue

We just came back yesterday from a month in Argentina and Chile. Our final stop was four days in Santiago, and I would not spend much time there. The air quality is horrible.

We totally enjoyed our 10 days in Pucon at a new hotel, beautiful, called the Park Lake. Highly recommended.

Yes there is a fee to enter Chile unless you have been their while your current passport is valid. We did not have to pay this time.

Enjoy your visit, but there is much more to see in Chile than Santiago. It is a typical nasty big city.

Old May 23rd, 2003, 04:30 AM
Original Poster

Obviously &quot;Sweet Sue&quot; is not too sweet on cities, so probably not a good judge of them. If you do like big cosmopolitan cities, as we do, then you will love Santiago. The subways are immaculate, wonderful architecture (both old and new), great restaurants, interesting shopping, and best of all friendly helpful Chileans. If you do not like big cities Santiago is not the place for you, but if you do, by all means take a look, it is worth it.
Old May 28th, 2003, 06:07 PM

I was in Santiago last December and I enjoyed my three nights in Santiago very much. My wife and I even looked at some of the high rise apartments for sale in Las Condes and they were very nice.

Besides Santiago, we also went to the Atacama Desert and Torres Del Paine National Park. While I didn't care much for Torres Del Paine (too far, too expensive, not very nice lodging, etc.) I really liked the Atacama Desert and enjoyed my stay at the Tulor Hotel.

In Santiago we stayed at the Plaza San Francisco and it was nice but I think I would not stay there again. I believe a Ritz-Carlton is just opening up and if I were to return anytime soon, I would stay there or at another hotel.

In closing, I would say that Santiago is a very nice city as long as you don't spend your entire time downtown. I loved the Las Condes area and there are some nice surrounding areas as well.