Ixtapa/Zihuatanejo

Old Jan 13th, 2011, 08:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ixtapa/Zihuatanejo

We will be in Ixtapa at the end of January for a few weeks. Anybody been there lately? I have read some stuff from 10 years ago, so not sure how much will have changed.
Always like to explore and find little-known hidden treasures, like cafes, bars, unique crafts, or local haunts not usually frequented by the tourist crowd. Okay, I do understand that if you put it on the internet, it just might not be so hidden anymore. Let's take that chance!
Might rent a car for a day or two, just to visit places a little bit off the beaten path.
thanks.
Old Jan 14th, 2011, 08:39 AM

First get out of Ixtapa. This is a "made for tourists' destination, actually more like a miniature Cancun then anything else. This is not a condemnation as I have a residence on the edge of Ixtapa just a fact.
The real Mexico is but less than 5 miles away in Zihuatanejo loaded with great cafés, shops, beach cafés etc.
Ixtapa has unfortunately become a rather closed society with almost all the hotels AI so outsiders are not welcome. The shopping area & cafés are hurting badly due to this & the general economic downturn.
It is a clean attractive city with great bike paths, walking trails & nice beaches. especially Playa Linda.
Zihua has 4 main beaches. Most popular Playa La Ropa, Playa Madera my favorite, Playa Las Gatas (requires a boat ride)& the Municipal beach along which are many of the popular restaurants/shops.
Day trips include Troncones, a surfers Paradise with mies & miles of gorgeous empty beach but very dangerous surf so unless a strong surfer best to but watch.
Barra de Potosi with a 9 1/2 mile mostly empty beach is indeed a great day trip. This small dirt road village has a lovely lagoon where kayaks can be rented, a swimable ocean & a half a dozen excellent beach cafés. Mostly Mexican nationals with just a sprinkling of us gringos. If you visit please stop at the Children's Library where Dona Lura built & maintains with just donations for the village children. She is a true Saint!
Another great trip is Petatlan one of Mexico's few Gold Markets. Lots of designers, stalls, ships were you can buy pre-made items or have your own design. It's a lovely village with shops & cafés. The town square, the unique all white church with it's Jesus Negra said to preform miracles is worth your time. near by is Playa Valatina but requires a pre plan trip as a boat trip is required to this fabulous beach populated only by a 2 brothers 7 a sister all in there 80's plus a turtle sanctuary. Write me if you wish more info. Set on a lagoon filled with wildlife, huge gar fish & fauna.
Longer over night trips include Patzcuaro, Urupan's National Park & Morelia with some of Mexico's finest architecture.
Old Feb 3rd, 2011, 07:21 AM
ss

Stewbear, thanks for that great info.
We will be in Zihua next week. Can you please suggest your favorite restaurants? Bars?
Thanks - will be celebrating a 60th birthday.
Old Feb 3rd, 2011, 07:33 PM

I do not drink so can't tell you much about bars. Bandio's in Zihua is very popular with music most nights.
I am on a budget as I stay several months so eat mostly in low to moderate price cafés. In that category I highly recommend the following.
Super Cheap
The Rico Mar in Pozole Alley Full diners for about $2.50 US. Best tamales in town for a buck or so.
Poco Loco- best tacos/pico de Gallo in town & huge baked potatoes stuffed with all sorts of delights. Dinner for two under $10.
Moderate
Chendos Great stuffed fish/veggies Dinner for 2 under $25
Marina Café- Great fish, pasta & pizza about $25 for two
Lety's Coconut shrimp/veggies Dinner for two under $25
Casa Vieja- Great pork chops. ribs & "Z Lime Pie! Dinner for two about $35 US
Publicities Fabulous Sunday BBQ Lamb for about $10 US
Old Feb 4th, 2011, 04:52 PM

OOPS! That's Papas Loca Guess I had a elder moment! LOL
Old Feb 7th, 2011, 06:11 AM
ss