IXTAPA

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23rd, 1997, 08:04 PM
KATIE DONAHUE

IXTAPA

I WILL BE GOING TO IXTAPA ON A CONFERENCE IN FEBUARY. IT IS AT THE PRESIDENTE RESORT. ANY COMMENTS ABOUT THE HOTEL OR SUGGESTION ABOUT ANOTHER HOTEL WOULD BE GREAT. ALSO IS THIS A KID FRIENDLY VACATION SPOT.
THANKS

Old Oct 24th, 1997, 11:08 AM
Carlos

Yes Ixtapa is a nice little town for vacations, but has hotels, restaurants, bars, etc.
I have stayed at the Westin which is the best hotel, is located aprox. 5 minutes away from hotel strip, and has a small bay. The hotel is for sure the best, with international award wining architecture.
Also another fine hotel is KRISTAL a 5 star hotel with the best restaurant in the city. ("Bogart's")

Hope you enjoy,

Carlos

Old Oct 30th, 1997, 08:33 AM
Jane

I agree with Carlos the Westin is probably the "best" hotel if expensive means the best. I'm not fond of the architecture of the hotel. It's too monumental. It gave me an uncomfortable feeling. The hotel is secluded from the rest of the hotels and sits on a spectacular site; however, you must take an elevator to the beach.

I've stayed several times at the Krystal and it is my favorite. All rooms face the water, although I think the ones on the pool side have the nicest views. The last time we were there, the lobby area was in need of updating, but our room had just been redecorated and was great.

Old Nov 23rd, 1997, 04:05 AM
treebs

We stayed at the ElPresidente in '96. It's a beautiful resort with a wonderful staff and excellent food. In talking with the Apple Rep at the resort, the staff was taken to Sandals to receive their training. The Resort is right on the beach and if you sleep with your windows open like we do (can't stand air conditioning), you can hear the waves at night. Directly across the street from the resort is a small shopping "mall" (what they consider a mall. It is NOT expensive to eat or drink in Ixtapa. Make sure you go to the open air markets and do some bartering with the locals, it's magnificent. If you get a chance, take the trip to Ixtapa Island, great snorkeling there. Have fun.

Old Nov 30th, 1997, 11:12 AM
Joyce

Don't know why people are trying to talk you out of El Presidente. As the above person stated, it is a really nice hotel, 4 or 5*, and since your conference is there, I wouldn't see any reason to stay anywhere else. They have an interesting swimming pool that meanders in channels all over the resort, but also encompasses a fairly large pool with sitdown bar in the water. When I was there, quite a few years back, there were many Mexican families with children. All Mexicans seem to be extremely fond of children, so I'm sure you will have no problem.

By all means, go into Zihuatanejo. It's the typical fishing village, and although I know it has grown since I was there, it's still more like Puerto Vallarta was when it started.