Mexico City Hotel History

Old Nov 11th, 1997, 10:17 AM
George Quigley

Mexico City Hotel History

Many years ago (in 1968) I stayed in a hotel in Mexico City which (I am almost sure!) was called Hotel LONDRES. What ever happened or became of it? I cannot trace it today in any travel books. It was very popular during the time of the 1968 Olympics when many teams were in training there. Any reply would be appreciated. Thanks.

George Quigley
[email protected]

Old Nov 12th, 1997, 05:59 PM
jennifer nacif

gorge i am sorry but i have never heard of that hotel and i work in a hotel in mexico city if youneed a recomendation in a particular category please e mail me and i will be glad to help

Old Nov 13th, 1997, 03:39 PM
Dick

George:

I remember the place. While working for the UN (I.A.E.A.)in 1975 they put me up there for the first few nights. Old and funky and ornate. Liked it, but was a bit pricy so got an apartment for the rest of my stay in Mexico. I saw it a few years ago and it had been renamed -- some chain -- Quality Inns?
Anyway it was on Avenida Londres in the Zona Rosa.
We are stopping over in Mexico on 17 Dec. for a night on our way to spend Xmas in Oaxaca. If I'm in the Zona I'll try to look it up. If you have any other suggestions for unpricy hotels in Mexico for our one night, please let me know as I've got to make reservations soon.

Dick

Old Nov 13th, 1997, 03:43 PM
Dick

Hey, George:

Just did a web search after I sent that last message, and our hotel may now be called the Quality Geneve Londres. Look it up on the net and e-mail them to see if it is the same one.

Dick

Old Nov 19th, 1997, 12:43 PM
Dick

George, Found another Hotel Londres in Mexico City. It's North of the Almeda on Plaza Buenavista (705-09-10). The blurb says "Beautifully decorated interior on a quiet square. Good restaurant -- warm family atmosphere. The very best in the area for the price. $18-25." If you use it, let me know how it is. Much cheaper than the one I mentioned earlier. Dick

Old Nov 19th, 1997, 12:46 PM
Dick

George, Found another Hotel Londres. North of the Alameda on Plaza Buenavista, #5. Tel: 705-09-10.
Says, "Beautifully decorated intorior on a quiet square. $18-25.

Old Nov 19th, 1997, 02:57 PM
George Quigley

Dick,
Thanks for the helpful info. I'm cannot recall the exact location but what I remember most was a long passageway from the front desk to get to guest rooms. This passageway was sort of a lounge with chairs and tables and hundreds of tropical plants. I recall it being somewhat like a "conservatory". As for the district, the old grey matter has no recollection! It was not any deluxe hotel; in fact it was quite cheap. The rooms were very clean and confortable.

That's all I can say. Thanks,
GEORGE

Old Nov 21st, 1997, 09:22 PM
George Quigley

Dick, I have been trying to send you an e-mail but I must be doing something wrong! Using what was indicated on the "Departure Lounge" page has come back to me as undeliverable. I tried a second time tonight. Did you get it?

George.

Old Dec 1st, 1997, 07:50 PM
George Quigley

Dick,

I heard back from the Geneve Londres. They say that the original name of the hotel was simply the "Geneve". I am still searching! Certainly I am starting to pick up some clues. Thanks for yours.