Itinerary help for 5-day road trip

Feb 7th, 2018, 05:09 PM
Original Poster

Itinerary help for 5-day road trip

Hi,

My husband and I are planning to do a short trip to Baja Sur sometime in April (exact timing TBD), likely a Saturday through Wednesday. We are hoping to stay away from the spring break/partying crowds and have a more low-key relaxing trip, ideally getting off the main tourist path a bit, or as much as we can given our time limitations. We like exploring/wandering towns, kayaking, hiking, and food experiences (though I am vegetarian). My Spanish is a little rusty but decent. I've done some research and have some basic ideas for the structure of our trip, but I could use some help fleshing it out and have a couple questions. Any input is much appreciated. Thank you!

Saturday: Fly into Cabo, land around 11am, rent a car. Drive to Todos Santos, spend a few hours there, then drive up to La Paz -- make this our base for most of the trip. Stay at either Hacienda Paraiso de la Paz or Casa Kootenay.

Sunday: Balandra Beach in the morning; explore La Paz in the afternoon, evening on the Malecon

Monday: horseback riding at Rancho El Cajon; kayaking/beach time in the afternoon

Tuesday: Leave La Paz and drive east along highway 1. Stop in El Triunfo and San Bartolo (for food) along the way --- any other musts? Spend the afternoon and night in Los Barilles (or somewhere else midway between La Paz and Cabo -- very open to suggestions here -- or head all the way to Santiago??).

Wednesday: Early morning start. Make our way south -- hike Canon de la Zorra (also open to other hikes in the area that won't be swarmed with tour groups, I do really enjoy waterfalls though); visit hot springs -- El Chorro? Santa Rita? Preferences on which, or both? End back in Cabo (international airport) -- last flight home for the day is at 4:20pm.
Feb 8th, 2018, 11:01 AM

I've never done it as a road trip but have been to both Cabo and La Paz on separate trips flying into each one. I think La Paz MUCH more fits your wish list (to stay away from the spring break/partying crowds...more low-key relaxing trip...off the main tourist path a bit ... exploring/wandering towns, kayaking, hiking...) I really liked the hotel Club El Moro there.
Feb 8th, 2018, 04:09 PM

Los Barilles will have more options tan further down the road.

On on your way to Todos Santos, I highly recommend lunch at Hierbabuena Hortaliza in Pescadero. Farm fresh food and cocktails.

Hierbabuena
Feb 14th, 2018, 11:39 AM

You should miss the miserable spring break crowds if you go in the last two weeks of April. Most of the California and Arizona colleges have their breaks in the first two weeks of March, and UNLV's is the last week of March.

Search this Thread