Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Looking for budget vacation in Cabo San Lucas/La Paz over Easter break-last week of March. Any good vacation packages out there-or homes / villas to rent for 8 people??

Looking for budget vacation in Cabo San Lucas/La Paz over Easter break-last week of March. Any good vacation packages out there-or homes / villas to rent for 8 people??

Old Nov 13th, 2004, 10:26 AM
Original Poster

3 couples and poss a few teens are looking to head to Cabo for 7-10 days last week of March 2005.

Trying to keep cost down. We like renting homes on or near the beach... villa would work fine. We enjoy cooking, so a kitchen is good. Must have at least 3BR/BT.

We are also open to a hotel package w/ air if that will be more affordable. Don't want to spend more than $150 per night for hotel w/o air.

Will be doing the 4-wheel trek to La Paz & probably a day or 2 of fishing there. We can forgo Cabo altogether if the prices and the spring break crowds will be huge.

Any ideas??
Old Nov 14th, 2004, 07:45 AM

Easter break is high season, so choose carefully. Forget the budget.
Lodging in Cabo San Lucas it's cheaper to rent a house in the Pedregal area, and walk into town. Your teens can come and go as they please. I have rented from Earth,sea and Sky vacations, www. cabovillas.com. Its cheaper per night per person than a hotel/resort. Also price out the all-inclusives such as El Presidente in San Jose, and "Dreams" on the corridor.
La Paz is my favorite area, (not many tourists!). The hotel Club El Moro is a good alternative with 2 bd suites with kitchenettes if you can't find a house in La Paz. It's on the road to the beaches. You'll find La Paz cheaper than Los Cabos. La Paz is rather quiet after sunset, so the teens may be bored. (I have two).
It's the food and gas that add up. There is a Costco in cabo San Lucas, and a all in one supermarket in La Paz (Sorriano's) for food and supplies. Gas is $2.50 a gallon, cash only. Cost $53.00 USD to fill up the Chrysler Caravan.
Like I said, forget the budget.
Its a once and only trip, so enjoy.

Book early.
Old Nov 14th, 2004, 10:56 AM

I *second* the recommendation of Club El Moro. I stayed there two weeks in a gorgeous studio with full kitchen. It was very reasonably priced, beautiful grounds, restaurant on the property for breakfast and dinner. Check it out at www.elmoro.com

The nice beaches in La Paz are all outside town, either north or south along the highway. Not a problem if you have a rental car.

Aramburo, is a grocery store fairly close to El Moro for food and supplies at Madero & Hidalgo.
Old Nov 14th, 2004, 11:17 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Edfran & Suze!

I have been looking all over Cabo & La Paz sites, and it looks like we will opt for La Paz.

Our guys are avid saltwater fishermen & outdoorsmen. They have done numerous trips to La Paz over the years, without "the lovely ladies" along, and they've always stayed w/ the guys that run "Fishermen's Fleet"...

They love La Paz but thought we (the lovely ladies ) might not like staying there as well as Cabo. Personally, I don't like crowds, and if there's a small town to walk around, and a beach to find, I think I'll be quite content.

This is a 25th anniversary for one of the couples, and so I'm thinking separate accomadations might work out best... I have looked into El Moro, been in contact w/ them and that one seems to be my favortite. What did you like about it here? Did the rooms have water views?

The other hotel we are considering is Los Arcos, which is right next door to Fishermen's Fleet.

Know of any good airfare deals?? We are flying out of O'Hare or Milwaukee - I'm checking w/ Expedia, but maybe I'm better off w/ a discounter??

Muchos Gracias!! ><

Old Nov 14th, 2004, 12:10 PM

Club El Moro

...is one of my favorite hotels ever. I'm not sure why, it's just a really good place. The atmosphere is low-key but well-run, friendly staff, clean and maintained nicely. Very appealing & doesn't have a "resort" vibe at all.

No, there are not water views from the rooms, because the property is on the inland side of the main highway that runs by right out front. You can see the ocean from the pool area, looking thru the open-air marble lobby.

There is a wonderful downtown to walk around in. Do a bit of shopping. Not overly aimed at tourists, just a normal Mexican place.

I was there solo and found it a little boring. Don't get me wrong I LOVED it but want to return with a gang in tow, like you all have planned!