Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Itinerary help: Extra day in Arenal or Osa?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27th, 2007, 07:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First, I would like to thank all of you for the assistance you provide those of us who haven't yet posted, but have gathered a lot of helpful information from your questions and answers. I'm hoping you can help me with my upcoming June trip to Costa Rica.

My husband and I will be flying into Costa Rica on June 3 and will head straight down to Drake Bay that afternoon and will stay at Las Caletas. Orginally, we had hoped to take a two-day hike into the Osa with Osa Aventura, but they are fully booked up. So! If we want to take a day hike through Las Caletas, are contemplating a Cano Island snorkeling trip (is it really as touristy/ghastly as some have said?), and want to generally enjoy our surroundings, how many days would you suggest we spend there? Right now, our options are to depart on the 6th or the 7th and fly to Arenal. We depart Arenal on the 9th, so we'd either have 2 days there or 3.

I've read over and over that the Osa is really the jewel of Costa Rica, but...would you suggest an extra day in the Arenal area for a trip to Tenorio/Rio Celeste or Cano Negro over an extra day of lounging and/or hiking around in the Osa? (The rest of our trip consists of several days in Monteverde/Santa Elena and several in Mal Pais.) We want to see as much as we can while still taking this trip at a quasi-respectful pace! Thanks in advance for your help.
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 05:56 PM

Not sure how many days you have planned for Monteverde or Malpais, but I'd definitely steal from one of those so as not to have to choose between the Osa and Arenal. Osa is worth at least 4 nights, Arenal please stay 3 nights. And Cano Negro is excellent. We also liked hiking Tenorio and seeing the Rio Celeste (didn't do that from Arenal, but I know it's a daytrip option).

Once you get to Malpais, you will have already been in a beach area. Monteverde can be done in 2 nights, 3 is better, 4. . .I'd take one and put with Arenal or Osa. Same for Malpais.

Try not to leave the Osa until June 7 and try to stay at Arenal until the 10th. Just my dos colones. . .
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 05:57 PM

By "choose between the Osa and Arenal", I meant choose which one to give the extra day to. . .
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 06:01 PM

I suggest departing the Osa on June 7th. Since you won't arrive until afternoon on the 3rd, you'll have lost that day and really have only two days there. It's such an amazing area that another full day will give you a chance to really enjoy it.

I have never visited Cano Island, so I can't really comment on it firsthand. My friend did take a day trip there when we were in the Osa and was not impressed.

Two nights in Arenal will give you good overall feel for the area, but if you can spare another night from elsewhere in your itinerary, I'd suggest staying three nights.

Hope this helps...Have a great trip!
Old Apr 30th, 2007, 10:49 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much shillmac and crchica! I never would have thought to take away a day from Mal Pais in favor of an extra day in both La Fortuna and the Osa. I just booked our flight out of Drake Bay for the 7th and added an extra day near Arenal. I wrongly thought I'd come up with every possiblity, and I thank you for your comments!
Old May 1st, 2007, 04:30 PM

You'll have a great time! Enjoy every moment. . .just a month away!
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 11:45 AM

Nyor -- How was your trip? I'm anxious to hear about Los Caletas! Considering staying there also. Please post back if you have time