CR Advice

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9th, 2005, 03:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CR Advice

Planning our first tip to CR towards the end of 2005. Traveling with teens. Most of what I've come up with so far is from advice I've gotten from this site. It's great.
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

We've got 10 nights. We fly in early in the am and were thinking of heading to Arenal Nuevo. I try to avoid crowds whenever possible. This way I figure we can see, maybe, Arenal, enjoy the lake and the hot springs and still be away from it all.
We'd stay for 2 nights and then head to Finca Rosa Blanca for 2 nights where we could raft, and maybe ride some ATVs.

We'd then be off to Bosque Del Cabo for 4 nights. We're in one of the houses for the last 3 and I was wondering if any of the cabinas could sleep 5? While there I figured we could enjoy the ocean, the animals, and maybe the zip-line. I haven't heard anybody comment on that. Input would be appreciated!
Our last 2 nights are at Peace Lodge. It sounds like a nice place to end our trip.
So...am I on the right track here?
We were thinking of renting a car for the first 1/2 of the trip, getting rid of it while at Bosque and then driving again while at Peace Lodge. Does that make sense?
Thanks for your help!
Baggy
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 07:46 PM

Do the zip lines (canopy tour) at Arenal. The one at Bosque is pretty bare bones for the price! There are good ones all over, certainly in the Arenal area.
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 03:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks shillmac. I'm always getting good info from your posts. Greatly appreciated!
Any particular one or area for zipping in Arenal?
What did you think of the Nuevo Arenal idea?
Thanks!
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 04:20 AM

I liked the Nuevo Arenal idea--we did the same thing once--only we stayed on the other side of La Fortuna at Tilajari Resort(loved the place). There wasn't a volcano view from there, however.

You can check on a canopy tour once you are there--there is more than one. I know the Arenal Paraiso hotel has one behind their property and there is a new one near Arenal as well--similar to the Skytrek or Selvatura canopy at Monteverde. I don't know a thing about it, but there have been several postings about it. You can do a search or someone else can fill you in on the details.

Your itinerary sounds like a very nice (and well planned) mix of adventure and relax time. What hotel at Arenal Nuevo? Just curious. . .in case we ever want to do the same thing! There are some nice places on the lake as well.
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 05:06 AM

I am doing a very similar trip in early June with my two teens. I would love tohear about your time at Finca Rosa Blanca-we will also spend two nights there. Which rafting trip are you taking from there?
Can't wait to hear about your trip.
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 05:13 AM
Original Poster

We'll be staying at La Mansion Arenal.
It looks beatiful and they've been a pleasure to deal with. Ever been?

Any idea if there is a cabina at Bosque that can sleep 5 of us. We're not big people so a child could sleep in a king with us if necessary. It would just be for a night.

Also, have you ever stayed at Finca Rosa Blanca? We're considering staying in La Ventana due to the extra bedroom. The Master Suite sure sounds nice though but I hesitate due to the fact that the kids would be sleeping downstairs and we'd be up. Thanks!
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 05:22 AM
Original Poster

Nancy...We are going at the end of this year so you'll be there first. Lucky you!
Which room are you staying in?
Regarding the rafting, I also have a younger child so we are limited due to age requirements.
I think we'll be doing the II-III on the Reventazon. I would have prefered the Pacure though but he's just too young.
I also found Fourtrax for ATVing in the Fortuna area. Know anything about it?
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 08:44 AM

Baggyi, re. rafting on the Reventazon, my then-11-year-old daughter and I went on that trip two years ago because she was too young for the Pacuare then, and we had a great time. The river is beautiful and we had some exciting rapids (the amount of rapids depends on the time of year, they told us). As for a cabin sleeping 5 at Bosque del Cabo, the Bosque expert Fodorites can tell you for sure but I think there is one deluxe cabin, La Palma, that could sleep 5. I believe it has an upstairs with two twins and a downstairs with a king, and they might be able to put an extra single in there for you because a family staying at Bosque when we were there a couple of weeks ago, in another deluxe cabin with just one king size bed, had a single bed brought in for their 11 year old (or else she slept on a couch; either way they were very happy with the setup). The standard cabins, however, have two doubles and not enough room for a single to be brought in, as far as I can judge from the cabin we were in. Leondardo at Bosque can give you details on these options.
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 08:58 AM

Oops, make that LEONARDO at Bosque, the guy who handles online reservations.
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 09:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! I'll look into it.
Any other suggestions regarding accomodations or activities are appreciated!
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 10:05 AM

Hey there. Just wanted to add that I did Arenal Paraiso's zip lines and thought they were great! I think there were 11 lines. Went there for our honeymoon and didn't really plan our activities ahead of time, just did what we felt like each day. We had heard more about zip lines at Monteverde, so we didn't think Arenal's would be all that exciting--and we were impressed! There's a video you can play on their website that might give you some idea: arenalparaiso.com.

Have a great trip!
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 09:41 PM

baggyi, I posted a trip report of the trip my 13 year old daughter and I took to CR in February this year, if you want some ideas of activities that a kid her age loved. You can search Xandari, Bosque del Cabo or La Paloma and it will come up, if you're interested. I know your family will have a great trip!
Old Mar 11th, 2005, 12:35 AM

baggyj, Just read of a restaurant called Caballo Negro in Arenal Nuevo--specializing in German entrees. There was a review in A.M. Costa Rica. It sounds very good--you might want to try it out while you are there!
Old Mar 11th, 2005, 04:38 AM
Original Poster

A restaurant recommendation...how wonderful!
Any others? We'll be in Nuevo Arenal, Heredia and Peace Lodge. I've read that in CR pricier food is typically not as good. We'd prefer to eat with the locals anyway..
Thanks!
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 03:47 PM
Original Poster

ATVs...has anyone rented them in CR?
My kids would love to, but some feedback would be very helpful.
Also, car rentals...I think I now know who not to use, based on previous postings, but any more recommendations on who to use?
Are reservations a must?