Issues with CelTrek SIM Cards

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30th, 2009, 10:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For those who have SIM cards from CelTrek but haven't used them in the past month or two, it might be a good idea to make sure they still work and you still have the number you signed up for when you first bought the card. When I took the card to Costa Rica, I still had to call into the service number to get resets so that I could call and send text, etc. but it worked for the most part although with issues.

As you might know, you're supposed to use the card at least once every six months to ensure you "keep" your number which is what I was trying to do about a month ago. But I couldn't make a call nor could I receive calls using the card. I called CelTrek and was told that their systems had crashed and my account and my number were deleted along with other customers. After calling and emailing back and forth, I finally got a new SIM card and was all set to try it out only to discover that I now had a Belgian number (I live in California).

I called to rectify the situation and was told that there was no way to recover my original number, that I wouldn't be able to view my updated account information online (minutes and call logs, etc.) because their systems weren't back up yet, and that yes, people who called my CelTrek SIM card would be assessed the same long distance fees they would be paying to call Belgium. I was told to call back in a week and that they would try to get me a "local" number meaning that it might be a US area code, that it might be California, but there was no way to guarantee that I would get an area code from the city I lived in.

They also do not offer refunds.

Has anyone else with CelTrek SIM cards experienced any issues like mine and if so, would you be able to share some tips or alternatives, etc.? I'm planning a trip back to CR and possibly two other countries in the region soon and would need to have my cellphone with me.

Thank you all.
Old Mar 30th, 2009, 03:50 PM

I have a Celtrek sim card which I used without any problems last year in Costa Rica, but haven't tried it since then. It has been over 6 months. I think I'll go the their website and try to log in and see what happens.

Thanks for the information.
Old Apr 8th, 2009, 06:41 AM

Yes. Celtrek is replacing its customers sim card because the provider they were using had some problems. Maxroam (Celtrek's partner) was using the same sim card and they have sent new sim cards with a Belgium number to their customers. The cards are somewhat functional but not fully. There are still no local DIDs attached to the cards and there is currentlyu no way to add one.
Old Apr 8th, 2009, 06:47 AM

EDIT to my post above: I meant to say Maxroam was using the same Israeli provider. The selling point for both Celtrek, Maxroam, etc. was the ability to have local DIDs. That's not possible with Maxroam at the moment. More about Celtrek and Maxroam problems following threads.

Celtrek Not Working: http://www.prepaidgsm.net/forum/inte...k-working.html

Maxroam Not working:
http://www.prepaidgsm.net/forum/inte...working-8.html
Old Apr 14th, 2009, 12:54 PM
Original Poster

CelTrek is now apparently going by the name of its parent company, Global Roaming. They have a new web site and they now apparently only sell SIM cards with Belgian numbers. There is no mention of their systems crashing or the loss of any client numbers. I have requested that they either restore my original number and send me a SIM card with that number or that they issue me a full refund. Stay tuned.
Old May 7th, 2009, 12:34 PM

Hello,

to answer the requirement above (USA number in California) Telecom North America has launched telna Mobile, using a similar coverage that the one previously offered by Celtrek.

We will provide you with a local phone number in California (or some other US states). In 4 to 6 weeks, you will even be able to receive SMS messages on this USA number.

We also provide web-based access to your voicemail, so you can pickup messages without incurring airtime charges.

Unlike many of the other providers, our service is postpaid, so you never pay anything in advance and don't risk loosing any prepaid credit.

You can learn more at www.telnamobile.com

Jean
Old May 7th, 2009, 02:58 PM
Original Poster

I don't know that the answer to getting Celtrek to refund my money is to go with another provider but thank you for the info.

cgenster: any luck with your Celtrek SIM card?
Old May 7th, 2009, 06:50 PM

No, I haven't tried in a while, but I did try in March, right after your post and couldn't get anywhere on their website.

I didn't have that much money left on my card so it isn't that big of a deal, I am just upset because I found something that worked in Costa Rica at a reasonable price and now it is gone.
Old May 8th, 2009, 12:00 PM

Eressea,
we can't refund your money paid to another provider unfortunately, but by replacing your sim, you can at least get something out of it (you won't have to spend money to get a new card from another provider).
Jean
Old May 8th, 2009, 12:33 PM
Original Poster

Jean: I'll keep Telna in mind when I'm in the market for a new SIM card. In the meantime, I'm still waiting on Celtrek to refund my money. Unlike cgenster, I have 99% of my minutes/airtime still on the card (since I had issues using it while I was traveling) so I have to try and get Celtrek to address this issue.

cgenster: good for you. I am kicking myself for not using up my minutes but I was led to believe I had all the time in the world to use the card. At any rate, please do let me know if/when you find another viable - and trustworthy - option. Thanks!
Old May 12th, 2009, 06:28 AM

Calling cards, very profitable--fees, expiration, and lengthy billing intervals--you never receive the face value of the card, even when you're able to get a good connection, and no adjustment for lousy service. There are good prepaid internet phone services that provide rechargeable calling card service, sometimes in multiple countries, without the fees or expirations, also provide call-back service (for a US dial tone), dial-in number for multiple countries, and US number accessible by softphone or SIP adapter. Two I've used are: tel3.com, www.telna.com; another, future-nine.com has about the best no-hidden-fees world-dialing, no-leech rates I've found, and I'm always on the prowl. Some people use internet services such as Skype and Dialpad. If you're traveling, it's usually a lot cheaper to get a local SIMM card rather than intl roaming (for instance in Honduras I pay 9 cents/min to dial the US on a local SIMM card vs 2.50/min intl roaming on my US cellular service.) For heavens sake, turn off intl roaming when your teenage kids go overseas, or you'll get 3- or 4-digit phone bills, unless they are unusually conscientious. Teenagers did fine traveling before cell phones, and they do fabulous using a local service. Remove your US SIMM card when you leave US soil--or you'll get charged with first incoming intl call, and put in the local SIMM or rent a phone in your destination country, sometimes available in the airport! Carry your own unlocked GSM quad-band world-phone or at least one with local country bands. For some country services you may be stuck renting a phone for unusual frequencies.
Old Aug 26th, 2009, 07:36 AM

All is good with Celtrek again. Not only have they sent out new SIM cards but they are also issuing U.S. contact numbers again as well.
Old Aug 28th, 2009, 09:05 AM

mauidi: Based on your post, I jumped on Celtrek to replace my old SIM. They said they don't have any US #s. The ones they did have in Jan 09 all got yanked and replaced with BEL #s

'They are working on it' I am not holding my breath.
Old May 28th, 2010, 12:37 PM

I live in Costa Rica, and have not been able to use my CelTrek phone here. Also, last year I couldn't use it in Canada either. After going back & forth with the company they charged me another $100 for the account, but it still wouldn't work so I bought a local SIM card. I'm now going to Europe, but can't log onto my CelTrek account to check the balance, and get no reply from [email protected] or [email protected] I think there have to be better systems!