Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Is this a good price for Puerto Vallarta?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 08:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's been so long since I've traveled out of the country, I'm trying to get a good idea of whether or not this is a good price or should we wait in hope flights will go down. This is for our honeymoon.

Right now, I can get a package deal for 10/2-8, flying out of Saranac Lake, NY to Puerto Vallarta, staying 6 nights at Dreams for $3300. Oh, and that is for the jacuzzi suite and includes travel protection.

To me it seems like a decent price, but like I said I've never had to plan a trip like this...Mind you, and I don't understand this, if we cut the trip one day short, leaving on the 3rd, it's $400 more...I'd like to purchase the package now, but not if people think there may be the possibility of it going down.
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 11:58 AM

Seems very high to me ethel but i do fly out of san francisco to pv which could explain the difference. i've done business with a travel agency in Brooklyn NY(booked with them for a trip to pv leaving next week as a matter of fact) I suggest you contact them and see what deals they may offer. their website is bestcaribbeantour.com Good luck!
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 12:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Dreams is all inclusive, right? So that rate includes all your food and beverages? If so, it doesn't seem out of line, especially if you booked a jacuzzi suite.
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 12:27 PM
Original Poster

Yes, it is all-inclusive, which is why I thought it wasn't such a bad price. Especially, since we plan on doing gsome drinking Also, where I live it's hard to get a good deal on flights unless we travel to the Albany, Burlington, VT or NYC airports. This is flying from Saranac Lake which is practically in my backyard. That cuts down on parking the car for a week and a hotel for the night before we leave.

Speaking of jacuzzi suite--anyone stayed in one here? Is it worth the extra money?

Froiseman--I checked that site but they don't have anything available for the airports closest to me. Thanks, though.
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 02:03 PM

I've stayed in a jacuzzi room (not a suite, but maybe they call them that now since the name change and Al change), and it was nice...upper floor, big jacuzzi, fantastic view. Enjoy!
Old Jun 27th, 2006, 09:27 AM
Original Poster

Ok, I'm having a little anxiety attack. With everything going on around planning the wedding, I'd like to get the honeymoon situated. The package right now stands at $3279. I feel like we should just go ahead and purchase it for fear that it may go up or not be available any longer, as the seats are starting to fill up. But, on the other hand, what if we purchase it now and it goes down? I know it's a chance we have to take, but if you were in my situation would you just go ahead and purchase it now, or do you think it may go down?

It's so much money, especially with wedding expenses, it makes me hyperventilate to take that much out of our savings. But, on the other other hand, it's only once in a lifetime and we want it to be very nice....Help, someone get me a paper bag.
Old Jun 27th, 2006, 09:47 AM

I'll bet your honeymoon expenses are tiny compared to your actual wedding expense, and you'll have a lot more fun on your honeymoon than your wedding (at least I did!)...!
Just keep in mind also that Dreams is not a "luxury" resort. It's an older property, but it is in a wonderful location, and when it was the Camino Real, it had a great atmosphere and was very nice.
Old Jun 27th, 2006, 11:04 AM
Original Poster

Frankie (that's my brother's name),
I see what you're saying. I think I'm having such a hard time with it because it's coming out of our "downpayment for a house" fund. We've been saving up for when we find a house to buy, and as opposed to taking out a loan for the wedding, we're taking it out of the "house" fund. I figured it all comes out the same in the end. Either we start paying a loan back, or we take from what we already have saved and put money back in from wedding gifts. Does that make sense?

I just want to make sure we're doing the right thing and I'll be so disappointed if we purchase the package only to find it has gone down after.
Old Jun 27th, 2006, 11:18 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Once you purchase it I'd suggest don't look at the prices again. Seriously, people worry about this all the time especially for major trips (like Europe).

feliz luna de miel
(literally en espanol happy moon of honey!)
Old Jun 27th, 2006, 11:22 AM

well, you have to go with what your gut tells you, Ethel. I'm a travel nut, so my gut always tells me -- go!
But I'm careful with money in other areas. Spending money on travel is always worth it for me. Just depends how much you like to vacation/travel...

Have you checked out packages in the Playa del Carmen area, on the Carribbean side of Mexico? They may cost less for you, and the flight would be shorter. (though you may be trying to avoid hurricane season?)
Old Jun 27th, 2006, 11:32 AM
Original Poster

Yeah, we're trying to avoid hurricane season. But, mainly, Puerto Vallarta is so beautiful and has a little bit for both us that it's really are top pick for the honeymoon.

I guess I'm just freaking out because this is the most we've ever spent on a trip. We've travelled a lot but always in the states so that may be a bit of the apprehension, as well. I've been to PV once but my future husband has not been out of the country...I guess, though, some of our trips may come out to that much when you factor food and drinks in. It's a little harder to part with one big lump sum, I guess.

Oh, and I'm quite a worrier so that may help explain why this is a little difficult. My fiance has no problems with it...It may just mean we rent for a few more years
Old Jun 27th, 2006, 12:49 PM

There are many ways to have cheap vacations in Puerto Vallarta, I just don't know that I'd recommend them for a honeymoon.

For example, my favorite hotel is a 3-star in downtown with rooms for under $50USD. My meals never cost more than $10 for breakfast or lunch, and $25 for dinner including a drink or two.

But that doesn't get you a jacuzzi or a suite or an ocean view. It doesn't even get you a room on the beach rather 3 blocks inland.

I really don't know how to advise about the travel package because I've never done anything like that. But I DO love PV and hope you can work it out. It is an incredibly romantic destination imo.
Old Jun 27th, 2006, 02:54 PM

That's high. Check applevacations.com.
Old Jun 27th, 2006, 03:23 PM
Original Poster

Suze-I hope we can work it out too. I think we can. Actually, I know we'll make it work. I was just having a conversation with my aunt and she said to just go for it. They didn't go on a honeymoon and she regrets it.

Leonora--I tried that site but they don't have any flights available from any airports close to me. They do have something available out of Syracuse but it's almost $1000 more. Thank you, though.
Old Jun 27th, 2006, 03:52 PM

let us know how it all works out, and if you do go, give us a trip report!
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 06:56 PM

Honey, just GO for it. $3300 is not a fortune and if it is all inclusive you won't have many expenses once you get there (unless you are a shopper <grin&gt. If you are busy planning a wedding you don't have time to google every site for another honeymoon destination. I have been to PV and you will love it, especially with a jacuzzi <giggle>.

BTW...I have no experience with trip prices going down, except for individual airfares.

You can put it back into your "down payment" fund sooner than you think if you plan for that.

DO IT !

(Have a wonderful wedding, a happy honeymoon and a special marriage.)
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 04:16 AM
Original Poster

We are just going to go for it! Just need to wait for that money to transfer so I can make the purchase.

Suze---are you the same suze2you from another unnamed travel site?
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 06:06 AM

one & the same (plain ole 'suze' was already taken)

Old Jun 29th, 2006, 06:17 AM
Original Poster

It was just too coincidental to not be you I really enjoy reading all of your knowledge on PV and will definitely utilize it WHEN we make our trip in October.
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 07:27 AM

Hi Ethel Congratulations on your upcoming wedding, When I first looked at your price I thought it was high then I realized it was for 2 that is a good price since you are traveling from the East Coast. I am planning on going Nov 4th and since I didn't book my flight before it is now $200 pp more.
I have the Condo already just waiting for the airfare to go down. If I were you I would book and don't look at any more prices at least you know you have everything paid for. Enjoy and bring plenty of suntan lotion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -