Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Is there enough to do in Buenos Aires for a whole week?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11th, 2002, 06:02 AM
lili

Hello,<BR>We are a couple of gals in late 20s considering a week in Buenos Aires in Novemeber - however, when picking up the Fodor's travel book on S. America, we were met with "there are no great museums or must see sites in Buenos Aires" - that kind of threw us into a fright so that now we are not sure if there will be enough touristy things for us to occupy our time for an entire week - if you could give some insider been-there-done-that information and recommendations, please ... we pretty much like everything, hiking, museums, historic sites, danse, etc.,. Thanks in advance!

Old Sep 11th, 2002, 07:24 AM
Roy

There are two or three rather interesting museums - art and historic.<BR>There is plenty of nightlife if that will sustain you for a week.<BR>Now is the time for Argentina, because the exchange rate for dollars or euros is simply unbelievable.<BR>Plan to spend most of Sunday in San Telmo - shops, antiques and busy street scene.<BR>Also, there is quite a bit of theatre, including musical things - and the best seats are almost free.<BR>I was recently there, and planning on returning in a few months.

Old Sep 11th, 2002, 07:31 AM
paul

Here are some suggestions...<BR>1. San Telmo on Sunday...there is a great market in the square on Defensa...lots of antiques...this is the home of Tango, and the street dancers are out in force...<BR><BR>2. Boca Jrs....Soccer team....futbol is so much a part of Argentine culture...you really should go, even if you don't like soccer..<BR><BR>3. Day trip to an Estancia...numerous travel agencies can set up this excursion...ride hrses, eat a gereat Argentine grilled lunch, watch a gaucho show....<BR><BR>4. Take in a cultural event at the Colon Opera House, one of the world's finest...<BR><BR>5. Take a day trip to Colonia, Uruguay...catch a fast catamamaran (Buquebus) and check out this colonial city....<BR><BR>6. The cemetary in Recoleta, with Eva Peron's grave is worth exploring....in the same trip take in the Musuem de Belle Artes and a new musuem on el liberatador that has an exhibit of Latin american Art...<BR><BR>7. Personally, one of my favorite activities is to walk & explore neighborhoods...BsAs is a very pedestrian friendly city, with lots of small parks/plazas where you can soak up the Spring sunshine you will encounter in November & people watch....In some parks you can rent paddle boats or bikes...<BR><BR>The night life in BsAs is incredible...from the restaurants to the discos....you may find you are too tired to get up much before noon the next day...<BR><BR>Take in a Tango show and dinner one night...Mr. Tango has a good show...It is useful to read a little about tango and the lyrics before you go....<BR><BR>In the night time I enjoy the pedestrian streets, Florida & Lavalle downtown...lots of street performers to keep you entertained....inexpensive cafes..etc...<BR><BR>Shopping for leather goods, etc...at very low prices, give the exchange rate right now...<BR><BR>hmm....I think this will keep you busy for a week....Be sure to try the local wines (especially Malbec & Chandon campagne), and Mate (you can order a tyope of Mate in a tea bag in most any cafe...Mate Cocido, I think it what it is called in a bag...and, of course, an Argentine steak or two....<BR><BR>good luck...and enjoy<BR><BR><BR><BR>

Old Sep 11th, 2002, 07:39 AM
lili

Sold! You guys are great! Thanks so much, we are starting our flight shopping - we're already kicking ourselves as there were great flights on Monday and they're already gone so now we're hoping to find something similar !

Old Sep 11th, 2002, 07:52 AM
Maria

GIRLS !!! There are a LOT of staff to do in BA for a 20 something girl (as i also am !). Some tips:<BR>- Colon Theater, the best one in all Latin Amrica<BR>- Museum of modern Art, Historical Museum, Recoleta Cultural Center, Museum of the cinema, Of Folk Art, he Cabildo... well, a lot more !<BR>- La Boca: The most picturesque neighborhood where Quinquela (the painter) lived.<BR>- San Telmo (neighborhood): go on sundays ! The best antiques, tango shows, "porte&ntilde;o´s" bars etc<BR>- El Tigre: The suburbs of BA. It is great ! <BR>- The best nightlife in the world ! (and the best gays, and girls)<BR>- SHOPPING: now is the best time to do so ! With the dollar rate, you could get the best staff<BR><BR>Well, check WWW.ARGENTINAGO.COM and see everything for yourselves, and let me know if you need any other tips ! Hope you enjoy my country !

Old Sep 11th, 2002, 01:09 PM
paul

If you want low airfares, try:<BR><BR>http://www.carbone-travel.com/fares.htm<BR><BR>Some of the best fares I have seen. I have used this agency twice, with great results. They use regular US carriers, including American and you can accumulate airmiles with the fares they offer...and at 10.000 or so miles per trip the miles = free trips before you know it...I don't know where you are traveling from, but fares from most parts of the country to Buenos Aires are about $500....No, I don't work for them...I just like their service....

Old Sep 11th, 2002, 01:19 PM
paul

RE: the earlier post from argentinango.com....I have been talking with another woman (Mayri) from the same company....She has been very helpful to work with as I plan my next trip in October.....Paul

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 06:04 AM
info

A few suggestions about night-life. Night life is intense in BA. There are multiple options, some of the best ones for each eveining are:<BR><BR>- Monday evening: meet some Brits / Americans at The Shamrock. After that, dinner in El Danzon in Recoleta. Excellent atmosphere.<BR><BR>- Tuesday evening: The Kilkenny. Meet the locals who go there for happy hour, and also some Brits/Americans.<BR><BR>- Wednesday evening: You will be ready for interacting only with locals. Have dinner at Asia de Cuba and stay there after dinner for some dancing. After that, you can join the best partying group of BA at one of the meetings that Mary Roberts offers each Wednesday at different places. E-mail me when you?re here and I?ll let you know where the meeting is on that Wednesday.<BR><BR>- Thursday evening: bar hopping at the lots of bars of Palermo Hollywood, and then have dinner at one of the multiple restaurants. Dominga is a good option. See reviews at ?elgourmet.com? or adondevamos.com. Only in Spanish, sorry!!!<BR><BR>- Friday evening: check bars and restaurants in Las Ca&ntilde;itas.<BR><BR>- Saturday evening: Walk along the restaurants, pubs and bars in Recoleta. Pagana is an option for dancing.<BR><BR>- Sunday: rest after the day in San Telmo.<BR><BR>For further info check our website www.apartmentsbuenosaires.com<BR><BR>Have fun!<BR>

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 08:04 PM
Saint

Definitely follow Paul's advice. He referred me to Carbone's website. I talked to Karin from that agency. I booked yet another fare to BA for November. Fortunately my flight returns the last day that Delta flies to Buenos Aires. <BR><BR>I get miles for the trip as Paul mentioned. The interesting thing was I noticed on my credit card I'm not billed by Carbone but directly with Delta. (Plus got miles for my trip with my airline credit card). Gotta love it.